I just got a tube amp and i turn standby on for like 30 sec then I turn power switch. then I wait a minute or 2 and turn standby off. but when i do that it takes the sound away.so r u supposed to leave standby on the whole time or am i not waiting long enough?
You don't turn the standby on first, you turn the power on with the standby switch off. Then wait 30 or so seconds and turn the standby on. You said it kind of backwards and I had to explain it backwards, but maybe that makes sense.
the lesser known of the 4
Quote by cmickd06
ok so then leave standby on the whole time

yeah, that should work.
the lesser known of the 4
Short explanation: Standby basically cuts the amp circuit off from the powersupply. So you should set your amp to standby, then power on the amp, then wait for your tubes to warm up (2 min is a bit excessive... the tube fils should be sufficiently heated in under 30 sec, you can wait a minute if you're the paranoid type though.) then take your amp off standby. Most of the amps I've seen has a standby switch configuration that copies the power switch. (ie, if your power switch ON is the down position, then to take your amp off standby, the standby switch should be in the down position as well.)

Long explanation:

Basically, you don't have to worry about standby with a tube rectifier (I'll explain this later), but if you have a solid state rectifier then you should use it to save your tubes. With a solid state rectifier, as soon as you turn the power on, then it'll start producing the full B+ voltages for your amp, while this is going on your tube heaters are still warming up, so if you try to play anything, then I think it causes cathode stripping (I forget quite exactly what happens, but it's not good for your tubes, it won't bust your amp though, just your tubes). So, the standby switch cuts off your amp circuit from the power supply, so you can safely let your tubes warm up before subjecting it to any abuse (playing). However, if you have a tube rectifier, which uses heater filaments as well, it won't start supplying any voltage until it's warmed up, and by then the power/preamp tubes would be warmed up anyway.

Did any of that make any sense?
Last edited by greenbox at Sep 13, 2006,
i did that but then i heard these noises and its freaking me out. am i doing it right? turn power switch on for 30 sec then turn stanby on then leave standby on the whole time and when your done with it turn power off then standby?
noises?
crackling/static
or is it whooping kind of frequency sweep noises
or is it a shrill kind of feedback?
Check that the tubes are firmly in their sockets.

does this picture help? Note that the standby switch on and off label are arbitrary, and may be different on your amp.
Attachments:
standby.GIF
so u turn stanby on then power wait a minute then turn standby off? so 5thorseman was wrong because he said the opposite of wat u said
I think he meant "leave standby on (while you play)"

the whole, standby on off thing is very confusing, so I just use "start with your amp in standby," I've seen amps where this is putting standby on the off position, and other amps where standby would labeled as the on position.

So start with your amp in standby, with the power off
Then turn your amp on, and wait 30 seconds
Then take your amp off standby mode.

Then play

When you're done, just turn your amp off.
You can go ahead and put your amp back in standby mode, so the next time you play you already have step 1 down.
Last edited by greenbox at Sep 13, 2006,
Quote by cmickd06
i did that but then i heard these noises and its freaking me out. am i doing it right? turn power switch on for 30 sec then turn stanby on then leave standby on the whole time and when your done with it turn power off then standby?

Nope.

[Standby] on then [power] on (puts the amp in standby to let it warm up)

.....30 sec to 1 min later.....

[Standby] off (with [power] still on) takes you out of standby and into normal operation

Some people then like to shut down the amp nice and gently by switching [standby] on then a few seconds later [power] off. You will then only have to turn [power] on the next time you want to use the amp.
ok, i turn standby on, then power on, wait 30 sec then turn standby off right? but when i turn standby off the sound fades away and the other guys said to leave standby on not turn it off, im confused
you're not shutting down the amp gently by turning the standby off, all you're doing is turning off the circuit and leaving the heater fils on. Turning the amp off does both at the same time with absolutely no damage to your amp, if anything, it probably extends the life of your tubes since you're leaving the heater fils on for a shorter period of time.

cmickd> Check it out, leave your standby switch, don't touch it. Turn your amp on, but don't play anything with your guitar (don't worry, it won't hurt your amp or damage your tubes).

Then play something, if you hear you guitar playing, then your standby switch is in the "this position lets you play" position. The other position would be "this mutes your amp" position.

Next time you use your amp, turn it on with the standby switch in the "this mutes your amp" position.

Then after letting your amp warm up put it in the other "this position lets you play" position.
To turn your amp off, just shut off the power.
Quote by greenbox
you're not shutting down the amp gently by turning the standby off, all you're doing is turning off the circuit and leaving the heater fils on. Turning the amp off does both at the same time with absolutely no damage to your amp, if anything, it probably extends the life of your tubes since you're leaving the heater fils on for a shorter period of time.

cmickd> Check it out, leave your standby switch, don't touch it. Turn your amp on, but don't play anything with your guitar (don't worry, it won't hurt your amp or damage your tubes).

Then play something, if you hear you guitar playing, then your standby switch is in the "this position lets you play" position. The other position would be "this mutes your amp" position.

Next time you use your amp, turn it on with the standby switch in the "this mutes your amp" position.

Then after letting your amp warm up put it in the other "this position lets you play" position.
To turn your amp off, just shut off the power.

ok, it was confusing cause no one explained that to me. thanks alot