Yes. Yes it is.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by rocknrollgod
yes. it is an excellent guitar. the only one better than it is the gibson les paul supreme

i hate you
This is a bit obvious and/or a waste of time....

In my opinion, it's preference. Sure it might be made well and sound great, but there are tonnes of guitarists who don't like Les Pauls.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
Oh how cliche of you.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
One of the best guitars period?

Not by a long shot.

There are lots of independent luthiers, custom shops, and even other brands that make far superior guitars.

Is the Gibson Les Paul Standard one of the best guitars in its price range?

Sure.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Its a great guitar and its a classic thats endured through the years, when any history of the electric guitar is written then there will allways be certain guitars that are mentioned and one of those has to be the Les Paul Standard.

Is it one of the best guitars in the world, you all know it is. Is it the absoloute best guitar in the world, then thats subjective and depends on an individuals own preferances.

But let nobody tell you it isnt one of the best, it is. But i stress its only "one of the best" there are others.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
I'm more of a double cutaway man, myself...

I am also my friend. Les Pauls, of course are nice, but really aren't for everyone. The price and weight of a Les Paul is what really gets me.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
waht about a les paul studio, they are way more affordable
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Drmckool
waht about a les paul studio, they are way more affordable

That would be the answer to the question "what other guitars in the Les Paul range are more affordable than the Les Paul Standard?"

But then thats not the point of this thread is it?
Quote by Kartman
I am also my friend. Les Pauls, of course are nice, but really aren't for everyone. The price and weight of a Les Paul is what really gets me.
not much compared to banjos =/
I wouldn't think so, no.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by meyekal
The best guitars are the ones in the hands of the best guitarists

^^^^Damn straight! Anyone with any talent and experience knows that.
Quote by FacingUsAll
One of the best guitars period?

Not by a long shot.

There are lots of independent luthiers, custom shops, and even other brands that make far superior guitars.

Is the Gibson Les Paul Standard one of the best guitars in its price range?

Sure.

Though I don't quite agree with it being one of the best in its price range, I think they're highly overpriced
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
one of the best guitars excluding custom guitars, i'll agree. but custom guitars are made way better than any factory made gibson. but i love les pauls so, yea i think they're one of the best.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
i chose a les paul studio and i love it, but i now listen to strat players and dig their tone. study the tone of both (sublime is a good example of good strat tone, page on les pauls). i would heavily suggest either
Quote by GNR4EVER

Though I don't quite agree with it being one of the best in its price range, I think they're highly overpriced

I think it's overpriced too, but I didn't feel like turning this into an argument thread over the QC of Gibson .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Depends on what you like. Its not the guitar that is good, its the player
Quote by willtheworld
Jesus pwns Satan.
werd

Quote by RadioHead22
how did he pack your pedal accidentally???...well, accidentally rape his sister...
no way not by a long shot. There are plenty of japanese guitar companies that can make a guitar of equal quality at about 1/4 the price of a gibson lp standard. the les paul in general however is one of the best guitar designs of all time. Gibson IMO just isnt the the best way of getting one.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Last edited by red star at Sep 13, 2006,
No. It's not. Maybe vintage ones, but current ones are nowhere near being "one of the best." I've played brand new LP Standards before. They in no way lived up to the reputation that Gibsons have. I love Les Pauls - but I wouldn't buy a Les Paul Standard that wasn't older. The same goes for nearly any other Gibson in my opinion. I've thought of buying Gibsons, but after really playing them, I realised that modern day Gibsons aren't made how they used to be. And that's why I won't buy a new Gibson.

Honestly, if I was out for a Les Paul, I'd either look for one of the old "lawsuit" era Japanese made ones, or I'd just buy an Epiphone Elitist LP.

If I had a bit more to spend, I'd look at older Gibsons. Nothing like a '59 LP or something that's outrageously expensive, just a great playing, older Gibson.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
It's too debatable.

Yea, they're great guitars, but there's loads better, but at huge prices.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
This is a question that can't be answered. "Best" is subjective.

Personally, I think they are nice guitars, but nothing special. You can find much
nicer guitars. The Les Paul Supreme is one of the most disappointing guitars
I've ever tried (for the price they ask and comparing to what I think you can buy
elsewhere for the price).
Quote by roonman93
i chose a les paul studio and i love it, but i now listen to strat players and dig their tone. study the tone of both (sublime is a good example of good strat tone, page on les pauls). i would heavily suggest either

actually i do belive Brad used Ibanez more often then a strat, i'm not sure, but i do believe Les Pauls and Strats are the industry standards
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
It all depends on what your playing. If you want a blues fat tone, go with a les paul. they are good for blues/jazz and such. But for metal/shred and things of that nature id go with something with slimmer neck, hotter pickups
(not that gibsons dont ahve hot pickups) and maybe a floyd rose, 24 frets. Brands like Jackson, Esp, etc