My Les Paul is not setup well anymore. I had a friend try to fix the intonation by moving the individual string lengths, but the high E string is as far forward as it can go, and its still 1/4 off pitch. (On the octave) So, I dont know what to do...I cant tell if the truss rod needs adjusting.

Would raising string height work? What about thicker strings, I heard that helps...
Thanks.
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
Donkeyman2341, you are my new god!
dont touch the neck.

is the guitar in tun open string? are u comparing that to the fretted 12th? or 12th harmonic.

are all the other strings ok?
hows ur action feel now? is there any buzz?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yea its in tune open, and im going on the fretted 12th cause i heard harmonic tuning is bad...anyways the action does seem low, and they is a medium amount of buzzing going on...and it goes out of tune crazy fast
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
if the tuner is tight, and all the strings go out of tune quickly, then either the bridge isnt sitting correctly, or ur not stringing it correctly.

how many wraps do u have around the tuners?
what type of guitar are we talking about?

and intonation is usually dont comparing the open string to the harmonic.
you can compare it to the fretted 12th. but neither way is incorrect.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

its an epiphone les paul standard, and it still has the factory strings on it, so its wrapped nicely and i think i had it a year now....wow that might be the problem right there...

but what do u mean about neither way being correct, how do you do it then?
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
"neither way is INcorrect." in other words try it both ways, find out the best for u.

but sorry, if uve had factory strings on for a year, then its time to change the strings.
you wont get in intonated/to hold a tune until u do.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yea i just realized that i havent changed them wow my bad im lazier than i thought
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06