What are some weird-ass covers? And why are they so weird?

Nevermore - The Sound of Silence (Simon and Garfunkel cover)

Aside from the lyrics and thel ittle melody at the very beginning, it has absolutely NOTHING in common with the original song...both are very good, don't get me wrong, but it just seems an odd choice to take a folkish soft rock song and turn it into an uberheavy prog metal song
Ring of Fire- Frank Zappa
Dancing Days- Stone Temple Pilots
Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds- William Shatner
Quote by HostileDaRebel
RHCP - Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik
It just looks extremely gay

Are you talking about the album cover? We're talking about cover SONGS; a cover, as in a song you play that you didn't originally write. Not an actual cover of an album.
I've always found Megadeth's cover of Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots" to be... well... WAY unlike the original. I think they originally only wanted to do it to show off Gar Samuelson's drumming, and just disregarded everything else about it. There are stupid unnecessary beeps throughout the song (for whatever reason I don't know), and the whole thrashiness of it just makes it way too weird to be enjoyable. The best part of the original was how the instruments stopped for Nancy's "...are gonna walk all over you", and the Megadeth cover... Dave just can't pull it off vocally like Nancy could. I like Mustaine's voice a lot, but not for that cover. All in all, it's just way too goofy for me to really get into. Good drumming, though.
well gnr literally raped dylan's knocking on heaven doors...though i like the solo in it...
Quote by HostileDaRebel
RHCP - Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik
It just looks extremely gay

Wrong type of cover dude.