Hey all,

I'm going to buy a new mic. I need it for recording vocals, live performance and maybe even recording my guitar amp.
Any suggestions....
I was looking at the Shure SM58
How would you like to be an egg? You only get laid once. It takes 4 minutes to get hard, 2 minutes to get soft. You share your box with 9 other guys. But worst of all: the only chick that ever sat on your face was your mother. So cheer up...
SM57's are almost good for everything, SM58's are also pretty good. I'm not sure how well they do with instruments though.
“There’s only two ways to sum up music; either it’s good or it’s bad. If it’s good you don’t mess about it, you just enjoy it.” - Louie Armstrong
SM58 is the standard, pretty much, for live vocals and some recording. Hell, they even use a 58 on the podium of the President. HOWEVER... for a decent recording of a cab/acoustic guitar, use some kind of condenser mic, even though a 58 will work ok. And use more than one mic to mic up your guitar... need some tips? PM me.
if you want something that can do everything you said, the shure SM58 or the Samson - Q7 Cardioid Dynamic Microphone would be your best bets most likely. in all actuality, you really want more than one mic to do all of that. condensor mics are much better for recording vocals and acoustic guitars than dynamics are. dynamics are better for live use because condensors are more fragile. and the sm57 is one of the best mics you can use for micing a guitar amp, sounds great and isnt really expensive. the 57 and 58 are very similar tho, so getting the 58 would be good because it is more suited towards live vocal use. which means you can do some ok vocals and it works well for amp recording.
ok then, thx to all....
I think I'll go with the sm58
How would you like to be an egg? You only get laid once. It takes 4 minutes to get hard, 2 minutes to get soft. You share your box with 9 other guys. But worst of all: the only chick that ever sat on your face was your mother. So cheer up...
If you want a mic strictly for vocals, then the SM58 is your mic. If you intend to use it for guitars as well, a 57 might be a better choice. 58s tend to be far too bright on guitars.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor