Hey all,

I'm trying to set up my intonation on my recently bought Epiphone Les Paul Standard and I had a couple of questions. When moving the little saddle, should you loosen the strings before you adjust it or is it alright to turn the screws while there's pressure on the string. I've done it with the strings tightened up and as I turned the little saddle, it didn't move. Is the movement supposed to be this subtle or is my bridge broken? Thanks in advance.
it needs to be in tune open, and then u fret the 12th or get a 12th fret harmonic, to compare that to.

if u were to then loosen the string, ud be changing the tune and messing up what u were tryin to accomplish.

so no. u move the saddle under pressure. and make to ur moving the correct screw.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
im having the same sort of problem to i have fixed all the strings exept my g because the g wont go back any more and its +20 off on the tuner
if its a TOM you can flip the saddle so the edge is pointed away from the headstock. that would give you more room.

if its already pointed that way then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

my screws are facing away from the headstock so i geuss its been turned around so there is more room
i was talking about the saddle not the screw. the saddle is the ridge the string goes over. and sometimes the edge points towards the headstock. when thats the case u can flip the saddle and give urself a little more wiggle room.

you can see in the pic above that 3 point up three down.

also, i guess thats the only string giving u a problem? if you cant flip the saddle then i suggest u change that string. a thicker string (100th) in the same gauge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

how much more track would it give me would it be enough to bring it down from +20 Hz
Quote by jj1565
i was talking about the saddle not the screw. the saddle is the ridge the string goes over. and sometimes the edge points towards the headstock. when thats the case u can flip the saddle and give urself a little more wiggle room.

you can see in the pic above that 3 point up three down.

also, i guess thats the only string giving u a problem? if you cant flip the saddle then i suggest u change that string. a thicker string (100th) in the same gauge.

so on the picture the G, B, and E strings are point towards the headstock?
yes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

so how do u switch them around? just keep turning the screw till the screw comes out?
OMG..... Thank you Jenny you saved my life iv got my Intonation perfect. i switch around the saddles
If its the same gauge, then it shouldnt be a problem, but if its different, you might wanna check it back.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Alright, so I started intonating my guitar and whatnot and I've come across a problem. So i start off with the low E. I tuned it first, obviously, then I chimed the 12th fret and played the 12th fret and the open E and adjusted the screw accordingly. Here's the problem, even though all three E's are in tune (open, 12th chime, 12 played), when I play, say, a G on the third fret, then the G on the 15th fret, they are both either sharp. What the hell is wrong. If i adjust the intonation any other way, the E becomes sharp/flat. What's the problem?
Quote by marbar1989
Alright, so I started intonating my guitar and whatnot and I've come across a problem. So i start off with the low E. I tuned it first, obviously, then I chimed the 12th fret and played the 12th fret and the open E and adjusted the screw accordingly. Here's the problem, even though all three E's are in tune (open, 12th chime, 12 played), when I play, say, a G on the third fret, then the G on the 15th fret, they are both either sharp. What the hell is wrong. If i adjust the intonation any other way, the E becomes sharp/flat. What's the problem?

Could be that your neck is bent, twisted or warped or that your frets are worn or positioned incorrectly (ie too high or low).
I was afraid that'd be the problem... it's weird though because i just bought this guitar and i checked for this problem in the store. That's the whole reason i bought a new guitar in the first place, my old one was impossible to intonate. Is it there any other possibility, because I would have noticed this in the store before i got the guitar...
Last edited by marbar1989 at Sep 16, 2006,
are they jumbo frets?
where is this problem? is it all over the guitar or just in the specific areas u mentioned?

what type of guitar?

i wouldnt suspect its a neck problem. more likely, fret adjustment.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Also, you may just be hearing the weaknesses of an equal tempered instrument. It's impossible to get the guitar in tune all over the neck, due to the fact that when you press down a string, you lenghten it making it slightly sharp. Those of us with exceptionally good ears that can hear this difference just have to live with it
Thanks for replying. The guitar I'm referring to is a week-old Epiphone Les Paul. The problem occurs on any fret except for the 12th and the 12the chime. So, regardless of whether i press the 9th, the 3rd, the 6th, it doesn't matter. It always appears to be sharp. On the lower half of the neck, it's not very noticeable, however, when you try to play the second octave of a note in the higher frets of the string (12 +) you can easily make out that it's out of tune compared to its lower octave. When hooked up to a chromatic tuner, its sometimes even 40-50 cents sharp. I bought this guitar hoping i could be able to record with it as soon as i brought it home. For the first 2 or 3 days, it was fine, but I was enjoying the guitar so much that I didn't record. By the time I finally sat down to record, I noticed these problems, at first, i thought it was the intonation, but now that I've adjusted that, I'm sort of out of options... Also, it happens on every string, not just the low E. I've gone through every string and they all have the same problem. Its on the low E, however, where the problem is at its greatest, causing the pitch to be, like I said, 50 cents sharper than it should be. Anyways, any help is appreciated.
well i asked about the frets because like said, sometimes on a jumbo fret, guys tend to mash a little, giving them a sharp note.

it sounds like ur a pretty thorough player. not one to over look something that obvious.
in addition uve ruled out tuner error, because u say u can even notice the difference using just ur ear.

its on all strings, but most noticable on the Low E. but it's fine at the 12th. this pretty much rules out a couple of high frets.

i honestly doubt ull ever get that guitar to play the way you're hoping.
if it were me, and the guitar was only a week old. id take it back and try again.

an earvana nut would probably fix all ur problems. but u shouldnt be having so many with a brand new guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Man, you only had it a week? Take it back and ask the store to set the intonation for you! If they can't (have them test it in front of you before you go), then demand a swap
Hey again, after coming back to it and playing around with it a bit more, I noticed that the lower frets no longer gave me a huge difference in tune (like 5 cents sharper than they should be, no biggie). But I am still having the same problem with the higher frets, like 12 up. So what I was thinking was, maybe this is just an action issue? Could it be possible that maybe the action is a bit off and that's what's causing the difference, or would the action have an influence on the entire intonation, not just that of the higher frets. Also, out of curiousity, what exactly is a 'fret adjustment'? Do they file down the frets or what? Either way, thanks again.
if u have a high fret. then the might tap it in so its level.

if u have worn frets they might redress them, polish them up a bit for you.

old frets sometimes get pulled and replaced.

action isnt going to effect intonation. action is height off the board and intonation is string length.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by marbar1989
Hey again, after coming back to it and playing around with it a bit more, I noticed that the lower frets no longer gave me a huge difference in tune (like 5 cents sharper than they should be, no biggie). But I am still having the same problem with the higher frets, like 12 up. So what I was thinking was, maybe this is just an action issue? Could it be possible that maybe the action is a bit off and that's what's causing the difference, or would the action have an influence on the entire intonation, not just that of the higher frets. Also, out of curiousity, what exactly is a 'fret adjustment'? Do they file down the frets or what? Either way, thanks again.

the bridge position or nut position might be off by a few thousandths. An infinitessimally rare problem on a guitar of any quality, but, when it happens, something has to be relocated. Nut, no prob. Bridge, can be done, but, it requires filling and redrilling, so it isn't cheap. Prepare for at least fifty dollars expenditure, probably more.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
I have carpal tunnel, caused by profuse masturbation.
gawd, that's gonna get sigged...

Jesus for president, king, emperor, vice president, chairman, prime minister...ect. PM Cashewchaching to join the campaign. or just sig it.