I'm having issues with tuning my strings (yes, this should be simple) and I'm just trying to figure out whether it's my tuner that's screwing up or I just suck. My G string broke, I re-stringed it, started tuning it, and it said it was an A, not quite a G yet. I continued tuning, and suddenly it became a B. I flattened it a bit - Now it became a 7th string / A(flashes between them). I sharpened it... Became an B again... And now it seems to alternate between 7th, B, and A.

I try tuning by ear but I'm pretty bad at it, though if I flatten it the sound just becomes awful, if I sharpen it the sound becomes too high. Is there something wrong with my string?
ur just not gentle enough with the machine heads. The easiest way i think to tune is to get the a string in tune, and tune the rest to that by ear. If you suck at ear, just play two strings at a time on their corresponding frets, and when you can't tell your playing a chord anymore it's in tune. and if you already knew all of that and it didn't help at all then my bad.
I'm the dream unicorn! The young machetes guide my path through forests of burning orange trees, but protect me from the cloud eating coconut eyed monsters that live in the bushes.
Hmmm that's odd my tunner use to do that to but that's because the display wasn't working at first. Keep trying to make it work. What kind of tunner is it.
Quote by DementedHippie
ur just not gentle enough with the machine heads. The easiest way i think to tune is to get the a string in tune, and tune the rest to that by ear. If you suck at ear, just play two strings at a time on their corresponding frets, and when you can't tell your playing a chord anymore it's in tune. and if you already knew all of that and it didn't help at all then my bad.

I do suck at ear, though I did try that. No luck =/

Quote by KoRnHead
Hmmm that's odd my tunner use to do that to but that's because the display wasn't working at first. Keep trying to make it work. What kind of tunner is it.

It's a KORG GA-30.
Check me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't G come before A? Do you mean you still have to go sharper (to the next G octive) and you break strings or did you just not know that G should come before A if you are tuning? Don't mean to sound like an ass, just wondering.
the lesser known of the 4
Quote by 5thhorseman
Check me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't G come before A? Do you mean you still have to go sharper and you break strings or did you just not know that? Don't mean to sound like an ass, just wondering.

That's exactly the problem. It skips G entirely and alternates between random strings, most notably 2 and 5.
Oh, do you have your guitar's volume turned all the way up? Sometimes mine will do that to me when I've accidently turned the knob down.
You keep saying you tune up to a B then tune down to an A.....keep tuning down when it says A... it should go to Ab then G....am i missing something?

Edit: and what is a '7th' string in reference to tuning?
Last edited by EightCounts at Sep 13, 2006,
Sorry man, that's all I have. Do you have a different tuner by chance?
Quote by EightCounts
You keep saying you tune up to a B then tune down to an A.....keep tuning down when it says A... it should go to Ab then G....am i missing something?

It turns into the 7th string note. Can't recall what it is right now. Occasionally it'll turn into a low E as well.