Hey I was wondering what would you use to clean your stings when they start getting rusty/grimy cause its just horrible playing on dirty strings.
uhm usually.

that means its time for a new set lol
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
then you need to take better care of your strings..

wash your hands before playing like people say..

grease and salt are the fastest things to rust strings.
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Zoom 505 II
EDIT: yeah i do wash my hands and i have a pair of heavy gauged fenders.
wtf r u doing that the strings are so gross after having them for a week? Wash your hands b4 playing cause that'll be your fault if they're that bad after a week. And if they're rusted, quit playing in the bathtub cause rusting on strings in a week is rediculous.
i will NEVER understand people whos strings rust.
it doesnt matter what strings you have, strings shouldnt rust in one week.
do you live in a third world country where you cant wash your hands?
what the **** do you do to your guitar? eat off of it?
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
I play a lot of songs over the course of 4 hrs none stop everyday and again i do wash my hands.
well...my 2nd advice is ..dont use fender strings lol

if its electric use ernie ball

and for acoustic use elixir..just my opinions..but their best i say

and dude..

it dosent matter HOW long you play.

i've played 4 hour sets a week and i can go a month w/o changing mine.
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Zoom 505 II
You might have the same problem I have, acidic sweat that causes bad corrosion. My strings typically go flat and get nasty in a week too, and I use good ones (Ernie Ball). I also wash my hands and wipe them down after I play. Different pH levels can do nasty things. If this is the problem, the only thing I know to fix it is plastic coated strings like Elixer..
the lesser known of the 4
Last edited by 5thhorseman at Sep 13, 2006,
Quote by Rowe12
myabe your playing in a damp place like a sauna

hahahah....smart one.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by esp_shredder
well...my 2nd advice is ..dont use fender strings lol

if its electric use ernie ball

and for acoustic use elixir..just my opinions..but their best i say

and dude..

it dosent matter HOW long you play.

i've played 4 hour sets a week and i can go a month w/o changing mine.

yeah they are better but i know others that use fender strings and they don't got the same problem i do.
WD-40 is absolutely the best thing you can put on your strings. It will remove rust and grime from your strings, it will prevent your strings from rusting in the first place, and it will make your strings super-fast and a lot easier to play.
Quote by Rowe12
myabe your playing in a damp place like a sauna

nope sorry man i play in a desert town lol
Quote by 5thhorseman
You might have the same problem I have, acidic sweat that causes bad corrosion. My strings typically go flat and get nasty in a week too, and I use good ones (Ernie Ball). If this is the problem, the only thing I know to fix it is plastic coated strings.

Doesn't that affect you sound tho?
Quote by WickedStellar77
WD-40 is absolutely the best thing you can put on your strings. It will remove rust and grime from your strings, it will prevent your strings from rusting in the first place, and it will make your strings super-fast and a lot easier to play.

i dont think rust will be the problem.

cancer will.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by WickedStellar77

How would u get the stickyness/gumyness off?
Quote by KoRnHead
Doesn't that affect you sound tho?

Being that I play mostly crazy distorted and am not recording all the time, not really. Unless another guitarist plays my guitar, most can't tell a difference. If I was recording or playing clean though, yes it would.
Quote by KoRnHead
How would u get the stickyness/gumyness off?

take a thin cloth, get it under your strings and wipe them all the way to the neck. This is the most effective way I've found.
Quote by 5thhorseman
Being that I play mostly crazy distorted and am not recording all the time, not really. Unless another guitarist plays my guitar, most can't tell a difference. If I was recording or playing clean though, yes it would.

That would cause to may problems for me because:
1. I'm rhythem guitar in a band
2. i play clean a lot.
Quote by 5thhorseman
take a thin cloth, get it under your strings and wipe them all the way to the neck. This is the most effective way I've found.

Yeah i've done that a lot befor to but it just keep coming
Do like 5thhorseman said. You dont need to completely saturate your strings, and you definitely dont need to spray it on. Just spray enough on a cloth to dampen it good, and then wipe them down. Its a good idea to keep a cloth around so you can wipe down your stirngs every time you play.
time for some new strings
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
get ernie ball strings or wash hands with soap before you play
Quote by willtheworld
Jesus pwns Satan.
werd

Quote by RadioHead22
how did he pack your pedal accidentally???...well, accidentally rape his sister...
I just got my new AL-3000, and after about 5 hours of play, parts of the strings that gets a lot of use from the solo I am practicing is discolored from bright shiny silver to a copper sheen. Is this normal? I use GHS Fast Fret to clean the strings after practicing and wash my hands before. I am such a newb so this is very new to me.
Ibanez RG2570E, Epiphone VJH-PP, Celestion V30 Lopo Line 1x12, EHX Metal Muff, Yamaha Magicstomp MKII, Tascam CD-GT1 MKII
Your just going to have to get in the trend of changing your strings a lot.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

your sweat and the type of strings you use are the source of the problem. different people have different results with different strings.