hi i have a peavy xxx head. as well as a mesa roadking 4x12 and a hughes and kettner 4x12. but i have a problem. the mesa cab is 4 ohms the hughes and ketter is 8 ohmns
can i set my xxx on 8 ohms and run it like that. or what can i do to run both cabs out off of my xxx head.
thanks alot guys
I think you'd have to set it to 6 ohms. I think. Get a second opinion. Wait, can you even do that?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
haha no i cant do that i can set it to 4 8 or 16 ohms
geez i need to know what to do by sat. i have a gig then
Just use one cab? lol You dont need a full stack.

Just dont use the two unless you know youre doing it right.

Wheres Dirk or Erock when you need em?!
haha well i dont really have the option of doing that because im the only guitar player so i need 2 cabs one on each side of the stage so it sounds full
Quote by thefaceeater
haha well i dont really have the option of doing that because im the only guitar player so i need 2 cabs one on each side of the stage so it sounds full

Its a good idea on paper...but not neccessary. I used to run my JCM900 through 2 cabs, one on each side of the stage thinking it made a huge difference. But when I ran just one cab on my side...I learned that the two cabs, one on each side of the stage, was just messing up the mix. People in the crowd wont know the difference. And besides, if youre playing THAT big of a gig just mic' and it will sound all goooood.
thanks for the opinions guys but i know from experience i need 2 cabs to make it sound fuller. and micing it isnt an option so if anybody could help me with my problem
^ How is mic'ing it not an option if youre playing a show that you need two cabs...especially one thats outside...
first off its not outside and i never said it was.
the venue is a rented out old theatre but we arent going to have an adequate sound system for 3 mics the drums and all the guitars. so the guitars are going without mics
Quote by thefaceeater

oops I was thinking of a different thread.
Well, maybe rent another cab just for that gig if your tight for time and work it out later.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
dude, i dont know the answer...but if its going to be that big of a hassle then just use one cab. no body in the crowd will know the difference. If you know what your doing as far as stage level goes then it really wont be a problem.
Quote by thefaceeater
hi i have a peavy xxx head. as well as a mesa roadking 4x12 and a hughes and kettner 4x12. but i have a problem. the mesa cab is 4 ohms the hughes and ketter is 8 ohmns
can i set my xxx on 8 ohms and run it like that. or what can i do to run both cabs out off of my xxx head.
thanks alot guys

so, your RK cab has (1) 4ohm mono input, or (2) 8ohm stereo inputs correct? what does your H&K have for stereo inputs? It's 8ohm mono correct?

As it is now, you would have to run half of your RK cab, the stereo 8ohm input, and then the H&K cab on the other output of your XXX. So, you would have the RK on one XXX ouptut connected to the stereo input on the cab, and one connected to the mono input of the H&K cab (8ohm). You would then set the head to run at 4ohm, since it's seeing (2) 8 ohm cabs in parallel on the XXX outputs. Problem with that though, you would only be using half the RK cab, depending which stereo input you used.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by thefaceeater
the venue is a rented out old theatre but we arent going to have an adequate sound system for 3 mics the drums and all the guitars. so the guitars are going without mics

Theaters are built to have A LOAD of natural reverb, you'l be cutting your volume down to about half of what you have band practices with. And i can share my personal story about that.

At our schools variety show for the rehearsals, Me and my freind both had Line 6 Sextone II's, very nice ss amps, and he had the Legacy 412 16 omh, and i had the 8 Ohm Legacy 212. Neither of us knew the ohms on our cabs so we always put it at 16 to be safe, and since he had two more speakers i cut my volume up a hair higher than his. We were also playing in a large auditorium, probably can seat 2,000 people, its BIG, you think you need to turn the volume up...WRONG. Auditoriums are meant for chorus classes that are unmiked to be able to sing and fill up the room. We start playing and immediatly I realize DAMN!! ITS WAY TOO LOUD! They made us turn the volume down if we were gonna play the next day and thats about all to the story, nothing special.

But about the Ohms.

My Mesa has 3 speaker outs, 4 ohm 4 ohm and 8 ohm. If i want to use a 16 ohm cabinet, I have to plug up an 8 ohm cab to the 4 ohm out, and the 16 ohm cab to the 8 ohm out.

Say you have a Line 6 that has a switch that is Two, Four, Eight, and 16 ohms and your cabinets are like you said, 8 and 16, you can do one of two things. Cut the amp to 8 ohms and run it out to both cabinets and have the 8 Ohm cab working at 16 ohms which is a safe mismatch and the other 16 ohm cab will be perfectly fine; or you can rewire the 16 ohm cab to an 8 ohm or 4 ohm cabinet.

My bad, i just read your thread again, about it being a 8 and 4 ohm cabinet. Just do what i said but with 8 instead of 16 and 4 instead of 8.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Sep 17, 2006,
thanks mesa
and i didnt want to run just one side of my mesa cab so i set my amp at 4 to match that cab and just let the hk cab which is 8 ohms run off 4 ohms as well