Page 1 of 2
I've been considering both. Same basic price range, and same basic features.

I haven't been playing electric *too* long, but acoustic for two years. I play almost everything, from metal to classic rock and everything inbetween (mostly leaning to the hard rock/metal side).

Any suggestions?
either punch her out with a brick......

or just talk normally to her....then punch her out with a brick

your call.

lol whoever wore the coat was like 'wtf??? this coat smells like humping!'
lets put it thjis way, the sz is lighter, faster, and just kick ass. the epi les pauls cool, but its a heavey bitch and uncomfratble for sitting and playing
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Well of you play anything with whammy in it, the Ibanez. Other than that, the LP is perfect for classic rock.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by Stop Messin'
Well of you play anything with whammy in it, the Ibanez. Other than that, the LP is perfect for classic rock.

the sz does not have a whammy bar, and its great for classic rock
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
i dont think the sz320 has a whammy does it? anyway...dependant upon your tastes i guess...the ibanez shall have a lower action, and basically shall be easier to play...both with HH setup...the sz is lighter, but the body of the les paul adds to its signature tone...
SZ has a much more comfortable neck joint, thinner neck, and it's a string-through. Gibraltar III is also a sweet bridge, so smooth. It probably costs less too...
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Would it be possible to killswitch (without any modifications) on either? (Stupid question, I know)

your call.

Yeah. You can improvise the "killswitch" on any HH guitar with a separate volume control for each pickup, and both the SZ and the LP have that.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
lets put it THIS way haha i just bought an epi les paul custom white for 600 and it was worth every penny yeah yeah its heavy but i dont think your gigin yet ne ways and its actually not that bad id just sugest strap locks the sucka is heavy but has the best deep sound for rock or punk
Quote by audiorapist
i dont think the sz320 has a whammy does it? anyway...dependant upon your tastes i guess...the ibanez shall have a lower action, and basically shall be easier to play...both with HH setup...the sz is lighter, but the body of the les paul adds to its signature tone...

Dude, a lower action depends on how well setup the guitar is, not the guitar.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
I have both an Epi Les Paul and an SZ520. The SZ520 is so much better. It is so much easier to play, sounds better out of the box and is so much more comfortable. Seriously, do yourself a favor and get the SZ.
I think that you will find the better quality from an Ibanez compared to an EPI. I have the SZ720FM and it sounds great.
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
I've got an Epi Les Paul and its built like a brick. It sounds amazing and you can get the action as low as u can on any guitar on it. Ok upper fret access its a little limited. But you play classic rock so you won't really be needed them. For the sound your after it has to be the LP. Ibanez build guitars for speed. And personally ive hate every single ibanez ive ever played so i might be a bit biased. Another guitar worth a mention her is the Schecter C1-Elite. HH setup very lite and very very well made. Kinda a mix of the 2
^

He didn't say he'll be playing just classic rock, and even then, why get a guitar with impaired fret access, when you can get one without it.

Ibanez does not just build guitars for speed. Ibanez builds RG for speed (among other things). There's a difference.

C-1E is nearly identical to the SZ, just two more frets, one less volume control, chubbier neck. Well, and it costs more.
Quote by pifty
^

He didn't say he'll be playing just classic rock, and even then, why get a guitar with impaired fret access, when you can get one without it.

Ibanez does not just build guitars for speed. Ibanez builds RG for speed (among other things). There's a difference.

C-1E is nearly identical to the SZ, just two more frets, one less volume control, chubbier neck. Well, and it costs more.

well by the looks of it u bum everything with ibanez on it judging by your sig. Well. Lps over alot more in terms of tone and versatility. Its why more people play LP's in classic rock and metal.
I have an Epiphone les paul standard (plus) which I bought not long ago, and am very pleased with it. You play rock/metal blues etc, so do I. It does the job fine. It IS comfortable when sitting and is a great valued- guitar. Has great warm,chunky sounds at bridge, and bassy blues at the neck pickup. Try it though, I recommend to you. A pickup upgrade in the future would enhance it further.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Quote by Maddy!
well by the looks of it u bum everything with ibanez on it judging by your sig. Well. Lps over alot more in terms of tone and versatility. Its why more people play LP's in classic rock and metal.

How many people play Epi LP's in metal? Or classic rock?

Ibanez all the way.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by Maddy!
<snip>

I bum wha..?

And you mean LPs offer a lot more in terms of tone and versatility. Well, maybe (even though they don't). I'm not knocking on LPs, I'm knocking on Epi LPs compared to the SZ series. They're just... not quite there with the sandwiched alder-mahogany bodies, and the neck heel. They ain't the Gibsons which everyone in classic rock plays.
Quote by jmag
How many people play Epi LP's in metal? Or classic rock?

Ibanez all the way.

Thousands..........including me! At least give this guy decent advise rather than posting rubbish about a decent guitar.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Epi LP or a PRS Single Cut SE... maybe I just hate string-thrus thats why no to SZ...
Seems to me that most of you aren't even familiar with the SZ series. It's a 24 3/4 scale guitar (like an LP) but instead, features a rounded heal set neck (unlike the LP set neck design) and a strat style body shape. It has more in common with an LP than it does with a Fender (or even an Ibanez for that matter). The neck is nothing like most Ibanez guitars.

....and I also have an PRS Singlecut SE in addition to an Epi LP and the SZ520. I play the SZ more than any of them (I actually play my JEM 7DBK the most often) but out of the box, the SZ has a much hotter sound and more comfortable feel when standing and sitting. The only drawback on mine might be the lack of fret markers. For many folks, that might be a problem. You get used to it.

Dollar for dollar, get yourself the SZ.
The SZ is leaps and bounds better than the Epiphone.

The heel is more comfortable
Upper fret access is better
It doesn't have the strip of Alder through it like the Epi
It's an all round better instrument.

It's only weakness is the pickups, but they're better than the INF's they put in RGs.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i have never played an epi lespal but i own the sz320 and i love it. it sounds beautiful i can get pretty much any sound out of this thing. right now im running on a crappy amp(bout to upgrade to cube 60=) but this guitar makes the amp sound good. it plays very very smooth. and has a lot of mobility its pretty light really nice feel when playing. i play everything from as i lay dying(metalcore) brand new(indie) metallica(duhh) to blues country acdc on this thing its great for everything. and if you want some speed get it it feels so smooth moving around on this guitar. well id deffinantly reccomend it. i bought the black version of musicans friend. you might wanna look at the schecter guitars i dont have one but alot of my friends do around the same price. they seem like really good guitars. they play alot like an sz. well the ones ive played
Whos space?

Counter strike source = ddextromethorphan

add me
Indeed. SZ FTW.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by AcousticManMan
I've never actually played either, as no stores in my area carry it (even the guitar center 50 miles out). Would an SZ520 that I played for about 10 minutes (and loved every second of) warrant me buying an SZ320 on Musician's friend?

Absolutely. 520 and 320 are the same guitar, but 520 has more cosmetic appointments (maple top being the obvious one, and a fancy inlay).
Quote by aaron13
this guitar makes the amp sound good

No Amazing Guitar can make a bad amp sound good. Thats the ame as me going yeh im playing a PRS Singlecut 22 through a Fender Frontman 15R and saying it makes the amp sound amazing. I think everyone knows thats bullcrap. Heres the general rule. A Good amp can make a bad guitar sound better. A Good guitar wont make a bad amp sound better IMO (which I dont care what you all say about it). The advantages you say the Ibanez has over the Epi aka wood etc is a bit :\ if im honest. Cus think about it the ibanez for its price aint going to be much better quality woodwise it is. And dont tell me LP's have that bad upper fret access. I mean watch trivium he used to use LP's before Dean sponsored them. He could shread the bollocks off it. Im biased cus I own an LP and hate everything Ibanez. Ive Played the Jem and various Cheaper ones and I hate them all. No tone what so ever. But thats just me they dont have the tone I'm Looking for. Heres a tip to the theadstarter. Don't come here asking what guitar to get. Do this. Read the reviews on here about build quality and reliablity and sound. Then go to your guitar shop and play them both through a good amp and decide which you want. Everyone on here will tell you one thing or another. Decide what you want to play and do that.
Quote by Maddy!
Heres a tip to the theadstarter. Don't come here asking what guitar to get. Do this. Read the reviews on here about build quality and reliablity and sound. Then go to your guitar shop and play them both through a good amp and decide which you want. Everyone on here will tell you one thing or another. Decide what you want to play and do that.

To quote myself:
I've never actually played either, as no stores in my area carry them (even the guitar center 50 miles out).

Can't really try either. That's why I came here.

your call.

Id definately say the SZ is top followed closely by the SE Singlecut which played and sounded beautifully for a $500 guitar
epi les paul is the worst thing i ever played. u dont even get the les paul experience. i do the ibanez because fingers just fly on it and it can sound like a strat, gibson, or telecaster.
Made a trip down to Guitar center today (again). Turns out they don't carry the SZ320, and the Epi Les paul I played sucked. After about an hour of comparing things, I walked out with a Schecter C1+, which is very much like the 320, and i'm really loving it so far.

your call.

Quote by Stop Messin'

the sz doesnt have a tremolo......
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by AcousticManMan
I've never actually played either, as no stores in my area carry it (even the guitar center 50 miles out). Would an SZ520 that I played for about 10 minutes (and loved every second of) warrant me buying an SZ320 on Musician's friend?

Congratulations mate, upload some photos!

Click for larger pictures, of course.

your call.

Looks nice man. It was probably made on the same assembly line as an SZ anyways .
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Page 1 of 2