My friend is looking for a Tube Head and Cab. I was thinking eBay but they dont trust ebay anymore, because he bought a Crate Hybrid Combo Amp and it broke on him. Any suggestions are good, he plays metal, and he is willing to spend 600 American US Dollars. NO COMBOS at all, it doesnt need to match either, in terms of Cabinet Make or Amp Head Make. Thanks!
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Last edited by LethalAe86TypeR at Sep 16, 2006,
i doubt anyone needs 100 watts tube. but id say go for peavey when it comes to affordable tube heads. or look for a used jcm 800 or 900 on craigs list. we had a jcm population boom here where i live. everyones selling their jcm heads for about 400-500 bucks
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
Where the hell do u live, he is set on a half stack, because we do big shows in open areas.
FlickR
VTM 60 Tube Head
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Wow,
That's pretty immature...
He does realize the same 100 watt Combo will have roughly the same volume as the equivalent half stack?
The only difference is the fact that a combo will usually disperse sound more, where as a half stack will be more focused...

Either way check out Peavey's,
those are one of the few amps in that price range...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
If he refused to get a good tube combo with that little of a price range...then I suggest a Behringer fullstack. Obviously he just wants more speakers over a good tone.
Pretty much.
FlickR
VTM 60 Tube Head
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Quote by kurdtkobaign
If he refused to get a good tube combo with that little of a price range...then I suggest a Behringer fullstack. Obviously he just wants more speakers over a good tone.

Good call....
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Berhinger has no tube amps do they?
FlickR
VTM 60 Tube Head
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Quote by LethalAe86TypeR
Where the hell do u live, he is set on a half stack, because we do big shows in open areas.

like the guy said earlier, a tube combo would be just as good as a half stack except it would push less air. and in my opinion id rather by a really good tube combo, than some cheap tube head. but yeah jcm 800's were selling for about 500 just for the head, no lie
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
^ a cheap tube head would sound way better than a SS head. Youre not going to find a tube head AND cab for that price...IMO
just get a tube combo, all youll afford with 600 bucks is SS crap
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
or a marshall MG! hahaha! jk.
FlickR
VTM 60 Tube Head
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Quote by Striketalonx
Wow,
That's pretty immature...
He does realize the same 100 watt Combo will have roughly the same volume as the equivalent half stack?
The only difference is the fact that a combo will usually disperse sound more, where as a half stack will be more focused...

Either way check out Peavey's,
those are one of the few amps in that price range...

wow that's pretty wrong. Half stacks can be set up to disperse way more sound then a combo.

Half stacks are pricey, and teh 100 watt part is unnecessary, but having a cab is not the devil and can improve your tone quite a bit. With a cab you have the ability to customize your amps tone just that bit more - you can mix and match speakers, use different woods, negotiate speaker angles, change speaker spacings and even use a variety of speaker sizes.

but i understand if this UG community doesn't appreciate that as they probably have limited experience with half stacks to begin with.

Essentialy with a half stack your getting a fully customizable package. you can keep a 112 cab at your house and keep the 412 at your jamming place, and just carry the head. You can disperse sound in many different ways, and a head is lighter than a combo.

Of course the part about 100watts i don't agree with, but if you need the headroom, you need the headroom.

Dont' get me wrong a combo can be hooked up to a cab too, but your facing extra weight and space issues by doing that.
Marty
Make him get a used Peavey 5150 head.

And he really should just buy a combo, a stack won't be much louder than a combo at around the same wattage, and if he's playing such big gigs, I'm damn sure they'll have a PA and he can mic a combo up.

But if he's looking for a good valve head that'll do metal and a cab at that price range, forget it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I doubt you can get a tube head and cab for $600. Just tell him to get the combo.
Sent from my iPad.
Tell him to save up and buy a THD Univalve from an online discount site and an Avatar 8 Ohm 240 watt speakerbox.
Quote by paintITblack39
I doubt you can get a tube head and cab for $600. Just tell him to get the combo.

My Head and my Cab was 500 bucks altogether.

I tried to convince him to look at ebay, but he doesnt trust it. i dunno, hes set on a half stack. he doesnt care about tone, he hasnt got up to the level yet. He just says, i want something that will sound " Metal".
FlickR
VTM 60 Tube Head
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
^Punch him.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I just got one of these....

You should get one...
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

^ LIAR!!! lol jk

BUT pics and clips would be awesome. Because them things is duh crapz. (in a good way...)
i second the mg for humors purposes
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal
The only tube stack he could get new for $600 would be a Peavey Valveking head on top of a Behringer 412 cab. Other than that, he is going to have to go tube combo or ss stack. Tell him that he is an idiot and that he should get a tube combo with better tone because he will eventually know tone (hopefully).
He hasnt hit that height with his listening yet,haha. But the valveking is candidate. Now a cabinet with decent speakers.
FlickR
VTM 60 Tube Head
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
tell him to get a half way decent SS head, because regardless of what people here say SS amps arent that bad, its just that most people heres SS experience is from a marshall MG or a Line 6 Spyder, both of which are really bad examples of SS amps.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
tell him to get a half way decent SS head, because regardless of what people here say SS amps arent that bad, its just that most people heres SS experience is from a marshall MG or a Line 6 Spyder, both of which are really bad examples of SS amps.

He is probably better off with the Valveking than an SS head. SS is going sound really bad at high volumes.
People are goin to say this (Dave Mc etc) and theyre right.

Marshall DSL401, look it up, cant go wrong
Quote by jmac72187
He is probably better off with the Valveking than an SS head. SS is going sound really bad at high volumes.

uhh not a decent one, If you get a good SS it wont clip hard unless you averdrive the crap out of it, even at high volumes. Valvekings on the other hand, dont sound good at any volume.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm