Is it bad to use tab to use tabs too much because it makes you dependant on the tabs, so then you can't play by ear? I don't think I'm quite at that level yet maybe soon. But I just need to look at the once and i got it. Also what is sweep picking iI've searched and read but I don't understand makes it so hard.
Quote by I likeallguitar
Is it bad to use tab to use tabs too much because it makes you dependant on the tabs, so then you can't play by ear? I don't think I'm quite at that level yet maybe soon. But I just need to look at the once and i got it. Also what is sweep picking iI've searched and read but I don't understand makes it so hard.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're just getting tabs to songs off of the internet,
you're probably not going to make great progress. First of all, most of those
tabs suck (no rythym indication), and secondly you need to do more than just
learn songs.

There's lots of great guitar theory and exercise books that are tabbed out. That
tab can help you quite a bit.

Sweep picking is picking a series of notes across 2 or more strings with basically
1 picked note per string and the pick travels in the same direction. Like a slower
strum. The concept is easy, but executing it at different speeds, tempos and
timings can be quite difficult. Especially if your left hand is doing some complex
fingering at the same time.
Quote by edg
I'm not sure what you mean. If you're just getting tabs to songs off of the internet,
you're probably not going to make great progress. First of all, most of those
tabs suck (no rythym indication), and secondly you need to do more than just
learn songs.

There's lots of great guitar theory and exercise books that are tabbed out. That
tab can help you quite a bit.

Sweep picking is picking a series of notes across 2 or more strings with basically
1 picked note per string and the pick travels in the same direction. Like a slower
strum. The concept is easy, but executing it at different speeds, tempos and
timings can be quite difficult. Especially if your left hand is doing some complex
fingering at the same time.

^sort of what he said
Tabs aren't the devil though, learn your musical theory and notation, as well as major scales and pentatonics to develop your understanding a bit. but if you want to cover some songs then they're excellent, I've got Guitar Pro which has both the Tab and Notation and it's really great - it's good stuff for composing your own stuff.

Tabs are good for learning new songs and generally in your first year, as long as you combine it with some theory.
Marty
Tabs are great for learning songs, although it would be good to learn notation and use that. I'm starting that myself.
powertab is a great tool, dloading good tabs from there really helped me learn musical notation, especally rythum parts and stuff

but it's always better to try to figure out a song on your own, so you can learn the pitch and stuff like that, but they aren't the devil ether, i'd say starting out if i didn't have a few tabs to atelast do some punk song i would of prolly quit guitar
Tabs will get you started, but can only take you so far.

When picking a tab out, remember it's sometimes better to get a four star tab that 120 people approved than a five star tab that 1 person appoved.
Ham Wallet
Alright thanks guys. Also I forgot to say I used to play a different instrument for about 4 years so I do understand sheet music. I'm just not sure how guitars apply's to it. What makes a note flat or what makes it sharp. Also in terms of possible notes you can play on a guitar there are why more then there are barlines.

Also I have no problem with rythm or timing (or anything of that sort).
There's nothing wrong with using tabs. Dont just sit on your computer learning songs forever, learn some techniques, theory, even right your own. But tabs aren't just evil.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Tabs are like cliff notes. You'll get the idea and the basics, but nothing is going to beat reading the actual book. I use them as a start off point. I agree with others on this thread, technique, theory and developing your ear and for lack of a better term, groove will make you a much better and well rounded player.
Quote by I likeallguitar

what? tab making you bad at playing by ear? that's nonsensical. tab simply facilitates reading and writing guitar music. standard music notation isnt very effective for guitarists as its structure was mainly designed for instruments like the piano. however, using tabs WILL NOT be detrimental if used sparingly, i say this because tab neglects different variables ie timing/rhythm
I use tabs to just as a guide. I look it over afew times until i get the order and then i play it until its memorized. I normally work on a new song everyday. I dont see where you can get dependent on tabs but i would just use them to know where adn what to play then practice without them and use them as referecne if you forget later on.
I mostly learn by tab.. standard notation is real confusing and difficult for me.. not with piano though. i learn the rhythm by heart
Tabs are like any tool, they are there to help but must be used responsibly.
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Tabs are fun but what I happened to me was that I couldn't read chords because I used to having tabs write them out. I knew how to play them but I didnt know the names. =/
Quote by DrunkenClam
Tabs are fun but what I happened to me was that I couldn't read chords because I used to having tabs write them out. I knew how to play them but I didnt know the names. =/

I think that is a good point. If you do use tab find out the key the song is in, what chords are used and what progression they are in etc.. this may(or not) help you improve playing/writing.
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."