Just want to know because im playing a blink 182 song for a music assesment with my band.

just wanted to know if u do know what distortion they use for these songs:

Down

Violence

Obvious

Roller Coaster

Always

Thanks a bunch
Last edited by EdDx at Sep 14, 2006,
I wouldn't play a blink 182 song for an assessment, unless of course you want to fail.

You could easily achieve that tone just with your amps distortion.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
I'm pretty sure they didn't use any.

You should be able to attain a sound just by messing with amp settings.

I'd recommend if your using a strat or the like, use the bridge pickup (number 5/all the way down on the selector)

And just use a lot of gain

Try something in the neighborhood of

Gain: 10
High: 10
Mid: 5ish
Low: 8-10
Presence: High
Reverb: 4-6

I'm just guessing with the settings but I'm pretty sure no pedal is necessary
Tom DeLonge's Rig

You can research more yourself. Just google "Tom DeLonge Guitar Rig"

Hope this helps.
If the guy wants to play Blink-182, let him play Blink-182.
Don't gotta bash him just cause you don't like the band.
Too much of that on this site anyways.

Anyways this was pulled from the New Ultimate Settings Thread

Punk Rock

I have a nice setting I use for Punk Rock, which includes mainly Blink 182, Sum 41, and the Offspring:

By numbers, notches, NOT IN O CLOCK, NOT:

Gain: 7
Bass 3
Mid: 4
Treble: 7
Contour: 8
OD Volume: 7
Quote by geohall45
yeah they use gay distortion pedals.
There's no need for that.

I have a downloaded settings list for some modern rock tracks from the makers of my amp, for the Blink 182 song they have there (which isnt one you want - What's My Age Again - and soudns a bit different to the ones you have mentioned), they recommend you use a guitar with single coil pups and the bass quite high, the mids at medium and the treble slightly higher than medium. Don't know if this helps because WMAA is a slower, cleaner song, but if you whack the gain up it should be similar.
Quote by Cocnut Rag
I wouldn't play a blink 182 song for an assessment, unless of course you want to fail.

A Boss Metal Zone will get you that hard rockin' sound great...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
youre all noobs!
tom uses the amp distortion from his triple rectifier
of course i use a ds-2 and i can get a pretty close sound with an EQ pedal
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
i second a ds2 but the ds1 sounds alot better to me , espicialy through valves

or a digitech hotrod distortion
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal
^the ds-2 has a ds1 built in, and has a turbo function.

ds2 > ds1
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by StratusX
I'm just guessing with the settings but I'm pretty sure no pedal is necessary
Tom DeLonge's Rig

lmao thats pretty much my exact rig in the pic. Sweet. I personally think Blink182 is/was a cool band...I mean seriously...who hasnt rocked out in the car with all their buddies late at night cruisin downtown rockin out to an old Blink182 hit?!?!
You can't nail his tone spot-on because he uses a Mesa Triple Recto through Recto cabs, but I imagine you could nail his tone buy just cranking your amps distortion and maybe using something like a Boss DS-1 as a booster.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Tom Delonge uses his overdrive in his amp, Mesa Triple Rectifier. So just overdrive no pedals.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
his tone is pretty much in the Mesa Triple Rectifier. really nice distorted tones on Take Of Your Jacket and Hat (or something like that, been a few years..)
YEAH I'M STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON, FOO!
wow ok thanks guys imma fiddle with my gay amp -.- its a fender 15R with reverb so yeah its pretty gay

anyhoo thanks for all the feedback guys appreciate it
Triple Rec with Gibson Dirty Fingers pup (real nice pup, not i the hands of DeLog though) and SD Invaders (not anymore)
Triple Rectifier, Marshall JCM900.
He ran both of those for the tone he's looking for.
Distortion pedals won't get those sounds.
Look for these amps instead.
the 900 comes in a combo.
Taking Back Sunday = Sensitive Hardcore
Quote by kurdtkobaign
lmao thats pretty much my exact rig in the pic. Sweet. I personally think Blink182 is/was a cool band...I mean seriously...who hasnt rocked out in the car with all their buddies late at night cruisin downtown rockin out to an old Blink182 hit?!?!

WORD!
^ yeah! see?! You cant deny that youve never rocked out in the car with all your buddies late at night cruisin around downtown (yelling at babes..) rockin out to an old Blink182 hit!

Having said that...I gotta poop.
Quote by j0nmcc
i dunno

BOSS ones?

this thread shouldn't be here though.

No they don't. They use gay ones! D'oh!

Pffft.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
i believe ive said this befor:

Blink 182 uses several boss qs-3 QUEER/EMO pedals!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
down was totally stolen from the smashing pumpkins (the intro, but the rythm is less complex )

latinosuperedit: whoops im meant "im feeling this"
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Yep the word to sum up this thread, Blink and threadstarter is :

OWNED
Last edited by davedoom at Sep 26, 2006,
Extremely expensive guitars with expensive pickups.
Extremely expensive amps
Extremely expensive pedals.
Quote by davedoom
Yep the word to some up this thread, Blink and threadstarter is :

OWNED

Lmao.

First of all, you don't "some" something up. -.-

And if you want to say a hugely popular band with several albums, tons of dough, a massive amount of hits, and love doing what they do are owned... then hell, I can't think of many people that aren't "owned". Seriously, becoming that famous and having as many hits as they did is a dream to probably 98+% of guitarists around the world. I'd hardly say they got owned.

Jealousy FTW!

Stop bashing simple stuff just because people like it. Every song doesn't need a 250 BPM solo or intense sweep picking.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

If he's looking for the tone for a project, he's probably not willing to go out and get a JCM900 for it...

With Blink 182's style of music, exact tone isn't required. Just use a generic distorted tone, gain somewhere around 7-10 with mids at half-way, and you should be fine. If your amp has reverb, turn it off.
Quote by sg-rocker173
Lmao.

First of all, you don't "some" something up. -.-

And if you want to say a hugely popular band with several albums, tons of dough, a massive amount of hits, and love doing what they do are owned... then hell, I can't think of many people that aren't "owned". Seriously, becoming that famous and having as many hits as they did is a dream to probably 98+% of guitarists around the world. I'd hardly say they got owned.

Jealousy FTW!

Stop bashing simple stuff just because people like it. Every song doesn't need a 250 BPM solo or intense sweep picking.

Touchet le ********!

More money, yes they surrrrrrrrrrrrrre do, to make worse albums and inflict us poor peasants with ear bleeding pop-punk.

Wow, making a career on music that 12yr old kids lose their virginity to, is actually something i really want to do

But the one that did it for me, you idiot punk, was the fact that you called me some Malmsteen/Vai/Petruuuuuuuci diciple!
Zep is the only band for me and maybe other bands that have been given credit for making music that counts for something.
I wouldnt mind sweep picking (sweeping rubbish on the streets and then picking it up)

Please forgive my spelling sir, im only drunk
Quote by sg-rocker173
Lmao.

Agreed. Anyway, it's all about opinon, and by how successful they've been, I think that alot more people like them then hate them.