Whats the difference between Chromatic Tuners & metronomes?
What is it that they do?
What is recommended for beginners?
Those Korg ones are pretty cheap and they're OK if you learn how to get the best out of them, i.e. mute the string slightly when you're picking it and wait half a second or so for the pointer to settle.
So would you recommend them over ones that are just tuners?

And there are auto tuners aswell I think, what is it that they do?
Quote by AustBeginnerAxe
So would you recommend them over ones that are just tuners?

I've never owned one, but I would think they'd give you a similar sort of performance to the normal tuners in the same price range, I guess if you need a metronome you will save a few quid buying one of them, though I personally happen to think that drum machines help a lot more with timekeeping and rhythm than metronones.

And there are auto tuners aswell I think, what is it that they do?

AFAIK an auto tuner automatically detects the nearest note to the one you're playing and shows it on the display, pretty much all the tuners these days will do that.
If you're just a beginner then get one of the $20 korg tuners. It's going to keep your instrument in tune without going overboard.

I find with chromatic tuners you get more control, but I still wouldn't swap my Rackmount for the world
With brands does it matter?

Cause I have been looking at the following brands:
Intelliware
Korg
Seiko
Qwik Tune
Cherub
Boss
Marshall
Fender
Harthe
Ashton
Epiphone
Belcat
Cool Tune
Behringer
korg and boss are pretty high up on that list. it matters a certain ammount - you'll have a better time with some tuners as they'll be able to fix on the note more accurately than others and not fly around the whole time. The Korg CA-30 is pretty popular and the Boss TU series is edging closer to the professional range (past that u start getting pretty pricey).
Marty
Either Korg or Qwik Tune will do the job. I preferred the Korg ones over the Qwik Tunes as they used AAA batteries rather than the 9v ones, which are about 3x the price heh
Quote by anewhope
Either Korg or Qwik Tune will do the job. I preferred the Korg ones over the Qwik Tunes as they used AAA batteries rather than the 9v ones, which are about 3x the price heh

the quicktune i have uses AAA batteries. and it's kinda crap to be honest. it was cheap though.
Marty
Should probably put up a model list.

Keep in mind this is Australian $

Intelliware INT202 $49.95
Korg CA30 $45
Korg GA30 $39
Seiko SAT100B $39.94
Seiko SAT100BE $29
Seiko SAT100RE $34.40
Seiko SAT500G $49.95
Seiko SAT500L $49.95
Seiko SAT500GE $43
Seiko SAT500LE $43
Seiko SAT500 $39
Qwik Tune $29.94
Cherub WST520C $34.99
Boss TU80 $49
Marshall MT1 $47.90
Fender LX-12 $41.25
Harthe HT12 $43.10
Fender AG6 Sparkle $37.10
Fender AX-12 $37.10
Ashton CT200 $36.10
Ashton CT150 $27.10
Epiphone GT-820 $23.20
Belcat 500 $29.75
Cool Tune $29.75
Seiko ST737 $49.95
Belcat 656 $29
Behringer TU100 $39.99
Belcat 850 $29
I have a cool tune, and it does the job, so either get that, or if you want to spend money, get the boss.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure