Okay, I like to play alot of death metal, metalcore, and melodic death metal. I've realized that people say that just down picking gives it a sludgier sound but I see no difference. Also, I havn't been playing too long, but what is the point of alternate picking? Is it for more speed? I'm asking this because I'm having trouble alternating my picking every note, any suggestions on how I might get better at that would be appreciated besides the favorite answer of practice
Thanks in advance
yeah its for more speed on lead guitar parts/solos. I had the hardest time learning it too, but once you will make the adjustment, you're wrist and forearm with thank you for it
You can alternate pick a lot faster than you can down pick. For alternate picking just try to find a scale or run and try to use alternate picking. Start off slow and gradually go a bit faster. Then practice it. Thats the only way to get really good at something.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
One time, after a gig, I had a foursome with these chicks that wouldn't shutup about my four-finger tapping.

I would much rather they had just talked about my penis.
how on earth have you been able to play those types of music without alternative picking you must have real fast downpicking or else you somehow avoided the faster songs
Quote by ch715dallat
how on earth have you been able to play those types of music without alternative picking you must have real fast downpicking or else you somehow avoided the faster songs

+1.

Alternate picking is the key to speed. From there you can learn economy picking, and picking inside out and outside in.
Not Enough AssHatery
That said a lot of chunky rythm is best achieved with down picking. it doesn't mean you can' t alt pick them but do be weary that there is a slight difference in sound between down picked and alt picked notes.

When it comes to soloing thuogh, alt picking/econ picking is the go for pretty much every solo.

I much prefer econo/alt picking to downpicking cause of the speed difference and also because it feels more natural and error free to me, less concentration involved and more fluid. but sometimes down picking gives those chunky palm muted riffs the meat they need - because you can often put a lot more bite into down picks.
Marty