hi there. Ive been playing guitar for about a year and a half now but ive only really ever spent time learning chords rather than solos and riffs etc.. Im just wandering if anyone else is in the same boat as me and struggles to spend time learning solos etc

Another thing is the fact that i cant play A-Shaped barre chords cleanly. A mate of mine is able to barre the three frets with hs ring finger but no matter how hard i try i cannot do this!!!

Would be really appreciative of any tips or advice

Cheers
Quote by jimmyjazz84
hi there. Ive been playing guitar for about a year and a half now but ive only really ever spent time learning chords rather than solos and riffs etc.. Im just wandering if anyone else is in the same boat as me and struggles to spend time learning solos etc

Another thing is the fact that i cant play A-Shaped barre chords cleanly. A mate of mine is able to barre the three frets with hs ring finger but no matter how hard i try i cannot do this!!!

Would be really appreciative of any tips or advice

Cheers

barring an a shaped barre? so you mean like

-

the 9's would be barred as would the 7's? that seems a bit weird to me, the correct way of fingering it would be using the fingers to do the 9's am i not right? because barring the 9's would either mute or block the 7 on the highest string...?

i have trouble with the barred A too, it's something that irritates teh crap out of me because i can do all the other open chords as barres but A just keeps pissing me off.

If you want to start improving your soloing skills than start learning scales - they're a good starting point and will get your speed and muscle memory up for when you do finally start learning solo's in their entirity. C major scale, and major scales in general are a good starting block.
Marty