Ok, so for a school physics assignment, I have free reign on what i do as long as it fits into one of 4 types of assignment. Given the choices available, I have decided make an FX pedal. So people don't leave before they get to the question, I'll put it first:

What FX pedal could I build that would allow me to follow the below task and show knowledge of physics?

Ok, so thats what I want to know, and this is what I need to do so you can make your advice helpful, although any advice is welcome.

(straight off task sheet)

An Investigation of this nature requires a clear definition of what your device is to do and some way of evaluating its performance.

If your device is built to somebody else's plans you will need to choose some aspect of its design to investigate. Can it be made smaller lighter, more robust, more reliable, able to operate under different conditions etc.? Is some component of the design crucial to the operation of the device, and how does changing this affect performance?

For the performance bit, I can measure the effect of the pedal on the guitar's ouput waveform.

I have very little experience with electronics but can read schematics and can get help from someone who is prob.at an intermediate level with electronics.

Any suggestions on types of pedal would be great. Also any links to information about how the pedals work would also be excellent.

I will be very much appreciative of any help.
you can make a simple fuzz pedal and change diodes to see how it changes the output. basicly it changes the ammount of clipping. this fuzz not only has a simple schematic, it also has a chart with different diodes to swap in. i dont know how you would plan on measuring the ammount of clipping, but an osciloscope or something might work (i dont know much about them so im not really sure tho).
I already talked about the measuring output with my physics teacher - the schools ocsilloscope has an input jack the same as on a guitar so i can just take it in, plug and play

Thanks, i was thinking that i would probably end up doing a fuzz cause they are easier to make. Although I would use a fuzz, I would like to make a chorus, any suggestions for that?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Ok scrap that chorus idea.... The link you gave me has given me an idea. Ok, I like the sound of the Deluxe Bazz Fuss, but also like the sound of the Buzz box, so , I wanted to know if someone could help me combine the idea. Here is the Deluxe Bazz Fuss for convinience:

And here is the Buzz Box (it says that it is just two of the Bazz Fuss v1. put in series with one having a germanium diode rather than silicon).

So my thinking, to get the octave up effect with the deluxe fuzz, I would have to put two of the Deluxe Bazz Fuss in series. I don't know if this would work, so firstly could someone tell me if it would. Secondly, I would be very appreciative if someone could help draw some schematics for this as I have no idea how I would put them together and get them to produce a viable circuit.

Once again thanx.
Last edited by perpetualmotion at Sep 14, 2006,
chorus is impossible to make for begginners really, the chorus sound is due to tuning and detuning. I dunno how you would make that happen
Ok, sorry, i was editing my post while you popsted, but thanks. Would u be able to look at my edited post plz.
well to put them in series, just shove the output of one of them into the input of the other, remember that ground is common all the way through.
So would it produce the same octave up effect as the Buzz Box?

And what would I do about having 6 pots?
Last edited by perpetualmotion at Sep 14, 2006,
Quote by perpetualmotion
I already talked about the measuring output with my physics teacher - the schools ocsilloscope has an input jack the same as on a guitar so i can just take it in, plug and play.

ive never really used an osciloscope, so i dont know what you can do with one. i dont know if you could measure how much it clipped, tho since you can measure the waveform i guess you could.

as for having 6 pots, you could do what they did with the other example and take out the volume pot that would be between them. still leaves you with 5 pots, but that would give you some nice control over both the normal sound and the octave up sound. from a fuzz usage point of view, that would be pretty awesome. for a physics testing point of view, it might be a little much. tho i guess if you just set all the knobs at the same position for each experiment it would work fine.

since you dont know too much about electronics, let me just give you a couple things to look up for some background (which i assume you need for a report). start by looking up Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws. those are really the two places to start when dealing with circuits. then if you are replacing a part to see its effect on the output, also measure the change in voltage and current at that point so you have more data you can compare. so instead of just saying replacing the diode gives such and such a result, you can say replacing the diode in a way that decreases the voltage at that point has such and such a result.
Dallas Rangemaster treble booster.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12