Hi guys!

So, here's the deal...

Me and my friend have this 'lil project going on. We're recording this song (in hos room) and we're having problems finding the right "sound" for the vocal recording. The song in question is "Mama said" by Metallica, however we've decided to skip the drums and bass right now, so it's only with acoustic guitars we're trying to do this.

So, here's the question:

We're using this ordinary mixer, and we'd like to know some good settings for a clean sound.

Thanks,

/Stuffie
flatten out your eq on the input channel, just get a flat vocal mix. The real magic happens in the editing process later.
Well, after u record something, usually you want to throw some compression or some noise reduction on the track to make it sound better, and then you want to equalize the hell out of it to make it sound even better. You may even want to add effects like reverb, delay, or flanger to a track. Don't forget about dynamics processing, volume, and panning. All of that is called 'editing', and should probably be done after the dry mixes are recorded. A 'dry mix' is a recorded track/collection of recorded tracks that has no effects or 'editing' done to it. A 'wet mix' usually refers to just the opposite.

If you get a good, 'flat' mix (meaning center your eq knobs on the board, damn it!), then it is easier to mess with the tonal range of your recorded track when editing. If you record it with too much treble, mid, or bass, you technicaly have less control over that frequency's overall effect on the track, which can lead to a host of problems during the editing process. AND REMEBER THIS, TOO..... the key is to get a good, clear signal without clipping/peaking and without distorting the input signal.

BTW, what r u recording on? Tape or digital? Makes alot of difference.
Well, I'm sure your software has effects with it, right? Just make sure you edit each track seperately... meaning eq, add effects to, compress, and noice reduce each track individually. If you 'mix down' or 'bounce tracks'(meaning comine some/all the tracks into a single file) and then edit, then you lose the option of using effects based on a track's properties (such as reverb for vocals, delay for solos, ect.), and are stuck with a muddled mess at the end, because no matter what you do, any effects you put on at that point will affect all tracks at once, for good OR for bad. Let's just say that it is better to have 100% control over EVERYTHING! You can never be too picky when recording yourself, and BTW, it is better to scrap/not use a recording if you think you can do it better.
Yeah, It's Cubase SX I'm using.
Man, I just realised that I haven't got a clue here... Can't even find out how to remove the noise..