I know this is a kind of n00b question, but whats the cheapest possible way to record decently from my guitar/amp to my computer? Would I have to buy a sound card with a 1/4" jack? Is there any way to get a good mic to plug into my comp (other then using my 5 dollar wal-mart mic)? For programs I was thinking of using adobe audition, Is this a good program?

Thanks
"And you will never hear surf music again..."
Last edited by big-red at Sep 14, 2006,
1/4"to 1/8"(4-5 bucks) adapter you can get em at radioshack or walmart. sounds decent enuff just get a good recording program
So I just but the 1/4" to 1/8" convertor jack and then just plug my guitar straight into my comp? Do I plug it into the mic jack?
Quote by big-red
So I just but the 1/4" to 1/8" convertor jack and then just plug my guitar straight into my comp? Do I plug it into the mic jack?

Nope, line in. Mic input has a preamp and thats not good for guitar Plug it into line in and make sure you keep your guitar turned down real low or the waveforms will clip.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Then instead of putting the guitar straight in, Ill mic the amp. Thanks for the replies!

ps whats the best recording software out there?
Free recording there is Audacity ( google it :P ). Mediocre - There would be like Cubase, Sony Sound Forge. Pro - Pro Tools.
Alright so I got a 1/4" to 1/8" jack and plugged my guitar right into line in. When I used Kristal I could see the sounds but it wouldent show up on the program, and when i used the windows sound recorder the sound was all static and you could barely make out the guitar. Is this because of my sound card, im using the on board one that came with my comp.
^ Only problem is i dont want to spend $100

Anyother suggestion to why this isent working?
i answered your question: "but whats the cheapest possible way to record decently from my guitar/amp to my computer?"

if you remove the word "decently" i might be able to suggest other things...like sending the pre-amp out from your amp into the soundcard

as for your other problem,try putting it into the mice line in your soundcard...go into the volume options of your PC & check stuff out in there
the line in is usually very low volume
If I were to get a cheap pre amp from my guitar>preamp>sound card, would the sound be improved alot?
it would be a lot cheaper to simply get a guitarport or some other interface & your sound will be pro enough
Quote by DeathDealer
it would be a lot cheaper to simply get a guitarport or some other interface & your sound will be pro enough

Do you mean like a usb or firewire interface? whast the difference from a preamp?
Quote by big-red
Do you mean like a usb or firewire interface? whast the difference from a preamp?

yes,USB or Firewire

as for why get one of those,well it's cause they bypass the soundcard so you don't need a preamp to amplify the signal from the guitar...if you buy a seperate mic preamp it will cost a lot more & you will need a pretty good soundcard,not to mention microphones which go from $50-$100 for good ones
Which software would be a full fledged recording software which will work on On board sound card? Is audacity it? Or Pro tools?

@Thread maker: why are u micing ur amp? Y dont u directly take the output of ur amp n connect it to the computer line in? I think that should work fine considering u dont need an amp in the middle.

Also is sound forge good enough to compose on or JUST record?
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
Quote by invincibleneo
Which software would be a full fledged recording software which will work on On board sound card? Is audacity it? Or Pro tools?

@Thread maker: why are u micing ur amp? Y dont u directly take the output of ur amp n connect it to the computer line in? I think that should work fine considering u dont need an amp in the middle.

Also is sound forge good enough to compose on or JUST record?

How do I hook my amp into my comp? Does the amp have an output? I have a fender frontman 15 and a fender blues junior. Well I use KRISTAL, it is free and records just fine. When i get better at recording I think i will pick up guitar tracks pro by cakewalk.
if you have an ok soundcard, or a soundcard meant for recording then it might be better to get a preamp like this to run your guitar/mic into (more options here). if you dont, then a USB or firewire interface will do much better because they bypass the soundcard. if you want to run the guitar straight in, you have to make sure there is a preamp on the interface or the line signal will be too small. thats why a preamp might be nice. if your amp has a line out then you wont need a preamp because that runs after the amps preamp section. there are a ton of things you can do for a relatively cheap price that can sound somewhat ok, and each has its ups and downs.
Quote by jof1029
if you have an ok soundcard, or a soundcard meant for recording then it might be better to get a preamp like this to run your guitar/mic into (more options here). if you dont, then a USB or firewire interface will do much better because they bypass the soundcard. if you want to run the guitar straight in, you have to make sure there is a preamp on the interface or the line signal will be too small. thats why a preamp might be nice. if your amp has a line out then you wont need a preamp because that runs after the amps preamp section. there are a ton of things you can do for a relatively cheap price that can sound somewhat ok, and each has its ups and downs.

Well right now I can record my guitar straight into my mic in and it sounds OK. Wha is a line out on an amp, would it be the headphone jack in the case of my frontman 15?
^ the headphone out on the frontman probably would work as a line out, even if it isnt as good as a dedicated line out. and believe me, running through some sort of preamp into the line in sounds much better than running the guitar into the mic in. the mic in on your computer is a preamp, but is of poor quality. using either your amps preamp section or a dedicated preamp will sound much better. ive done both, and i can really tell the difference.
I go thru the Headphone/Rec out of my micro cube. And get this cracking sound when I strum too hard. I play an acoustic f-cut connected to my micro cube via a transducer which is mount near the f-hole. Y do I get that cracking sound. Which sound card is decent enough to record?
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.