I just got a new strat
I'm gonna put some sort of wooden top on my old strat to make it look more like a jackson. I need information on how thick i should make the distance between the hardware cavity and the top of the guitar. I'm afraid that when i drill the holes that i'll split the wood.
Havent a clue what you mean, but drillin a guitar (as long as it aint a plywood one :P) will most likely not crack/damage the wood.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Don't ruin your strat.

my old one sucks

Restating question: how thick should a maple top be to make it stable.
If you just got a new Strat but wanna change it into a Jackson, why didn't you just buy a Jackson?

Madness!
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Oh right, gotcha. Sorry.

Question 2: Why the HELL do you want a Jackson?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
put a sheet of plywood. sand and paint. or a wood laminate i doesn't need to be very thick. it only needs to cover all the holes.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Oh right, gotcha. Sorry.

Question 2: Why the HELL do you want a Jackson?

1. i have single coils, now i want humbuckers to have more options.
2. i want to put on a maple top for fun.
3. jacksons are literally strats with deeper cutaways and are backrouted.
superbadboy2, thank you
or you could put diamond plate over the top of your strat. but i like the maple top idea more. And are you going to put anything else? VIVA Frankenstrats! And the headstock? you could put a 24 fret neck. Simply buy a fret board with 24 frets and substitute the old strat fretboard.
I'll probally trim down the headstock. Replacing the fretboard is hard unless i can find one that is already fretted. Either way i'm going to put in a graphtech nut.
I think that is possible to buy a freted fretboard but i don't know much about that.