Okay i wasnt too sure were else to put this so ima put it here..Okay ive been playing for about 8 monthes and evrybody that i know, (freinds fellow guitar players gutiar teacher) say im pretty good.. I have gotten 2 offers to join a band..Okay I already had one practice with this band, and they have a drummer and singer and id get to be lead guitar! Which sounded like what i was looking for in a band..Then turns out they want to learn stuff like, "move along" by all american rejects and fallout boy...I hate fallout boy =(...The drummer likes Metallica (so do i) which is good..They also like a lil bit of metal..( system of a down slipknot) and the drummer is good and not sure about the singers talent since he refuses to sing right now.. So this band dosnt like my type of music that well, (i like hard rock)..Okay and band number 2 is a bassist and a singer..The singer is..well not too fantanstic i played, "hypnotize" my SOAD with him singing and sounded okay..and the bassist is "learning" to play bass. Now they are metalheads =)..They like pure metal, not really any hard rock just slipknot, Korn stuff like that..And then, im thinking about just starting a band with my best freind, who likes pretty much all the bands i like, AND he can sing pretty well =)..But we dont have a bassist, drummer..He says hed be willing to play backup or rhythm guitar while im lead..I know a couple people who plays bass tons of people who play guitar, dont know any drummers though..who should i go with?
Now that i Lay me down to sleep, i pray the lord my soul to take if I die before i wake.

Quote by Invictious
Metallica are blues, for god's sake.
well i wudnt call slipknot metal lol..

but why dont you take the drummer from the first band, find a bassist, and u n ur best friend can start a band

thats what i would do
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Quote by thetearsibleed
well i wudnt call slipknot metal lol..

but why dont you take the drummer from the first band, find a bassist, and u n ur best friend can start a band

thats what i would do

Well since Slipknot makes nu metal they are metal. "but that's not REAL metal, blah blah blah." Come on!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
just get a musically talented friend on any instrument to play drums for the time being, my band did that and he sounded pretty good...hes not bad at guitar, the best sax player ive ever seen, and doesnt play the drums at all
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Your singer is an idiot, either tell him to sing or take a rusty saw to his crotch....
I say get a bit more experience before going into a band tbh.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by mrbreeze
option three.

A singer who refuses to sing ? WTF?!

Yeah i know he thinks hes awesome at guitar too.. But thing is, I live far away from drummer so ill probabaly just start band with my best freind and get a bassist..
Now that i Lay me down to sleep, i pray the lord my soul to take if I die before i wake.

Quote by Invictious
Quote by ScottishAngus
I say get a bit more experience before going into a band tbh.

When i do get my band up and running we aint gonna gig till weve practiced for like..awhile lol..

Quote by Invictious
Quote by Doofag
Play with your best friend.

PS

You don't know what metal is.

OK, I'm going to spell this out for you. Nu M-E-T-A-L. It's metal regardless of your opinion about (I suspect) the guitar players' technical ability or the bands' commercial success.

PS: I don't like Nu-Metal much, I'm not defending it as a genre or anything, I just think you're a prat.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to reply to the actual thread

I would make an attempt with all of them, and stick with whichever one(s) suit you best, personally. Remember, just because someone's your best mates does not mean that you will get on with them in a band situation. The last proper band I was in (that is to say, one that got as far as gigs and demos) broke up because, although we had all been mates for years, most of us really clashed when we actually got together to play music, and we ended up having to quit so that we wouldn't end up fighting eachother. That's just the way it is sometimes.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Last edited by Strat_Monkey at Sep 14, 2006,
I hate the kind of situation you are in at the moment, as it has happened ot myself and friends all to often.

I can't quite comprehend why your singer isnt, you know - doing his job. Either he can't sing. Or he cant sing.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by guitarstar525
They like pure metal, not really any hard rock just slipknot, Korn stuff like that

Aaaaaaaaahahahaha.

And why not join both and see how it goes? Neither sound serious and aslong as you enjoy playing then it's notso bad.

sigged btw.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
OK, I'm going to spell this out for you. Nu M-E-T-A-L. It's metal regardless of your opinion about (I suspect) the guitar players' technical ability or the bands' commercial success.

Wrong.
Quote by Doofag
Wrong.

OK, I can't see this getting us anywhere so can we just agree to disagree? There's nothing lamer than arguments about genres other than arguments about genres on the internet.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
great news evryone! I just called up my freind and he said he would like to start band with me! Im gonna go with him and see if i can get my bass freind to join..Then about a drummer..well hopefully ill find one..And no i dont think it would work out if i got the drummer from that one band..They arnt even really that serious..They never would call me for practice..So yeah..Now i have GOT to stop starting new songs when i dont finish old ones lol..O and about the metal argument..Korn is metal..I think? And Slipknot..If they not metal call me Chuck Norris =) But i guess..Thanks for all the help guys

Quote by Invictious
^Metal in UG=Metallica, Black Label Society, Pantera or Nevermore (or any other band along those lines).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I had the same problem singer refusing to sing untill we got all the equpiment so we left him our learning (3rd) Guitars and No bass player and started our band which now our drumming really dosent wanna be in it
Quote by guitarstar525
Now they are metalheads =).They like pure metal, not really any hard rock just slipknot, Korn stuff like that.

sigged
all the people saying those bands aren't metal are retarted. nu-metal is a sub-genre of metal. which means that it IS metal.
I love how every time somebody calls a band like korn or slipknot metal the entire thread turns into a flame war. Get the **** over it people, bands like korn and slipknot are all called metal by people who just LISTEN to the music. There heavy, there fast, 99% of average people call them metal. Its just the 1% thats on this forum constantly bitching about the technicalitys of "Metal" today. Drop it already. Not everybody has the time to come on a forum and argue with little 15 year olds about what "true" metal music is, me saying "true metal" as in what you ****ers on this site think.
+1 on nu metal being metal. I don't like nu metal much at all but have you ever wondered why it's called nu metal? It's just a subgenre of metal regardless of whether you like it or not.

Anyway back on topic......Sounds like kind of a weird situation but I'm glad you got everything worked out. Good luck finding some people for your band and have fun with it.
Quote by Strat_Monkey

PS: I don't like Nu-Metal much, I'm not defending it as a genre or anything, I just think you're a prat.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to reply to the actual thread

I would make an attempt with all of them, and stick with whichever one(s) suit you best, personally. Remember, just because someone's your best mates does not mean that you will get on with them in a band situation. The last proper band I was in (that is to say, one that got as far as gigs and demos) broke up because, although we had all been mates for years, most of us really clashed when we actually got together to play music, and we ended up having to quit so that we wouldn't end up fighting eachother. That's just the way it is sometimes.

actually, nu-metal is an off-shoot of hardcore.

Anyway, get more experience first.
Dickless.
So trivium is metal? Well it's metalcore, but I consider them more of metal than hardcore though.

Atreyu, hardcore punk, with emphasis on punk.

Quote by metalupurass42
all the people saying those bands aren't metal are retarted. nu-metal is a sub-genre of metal. which means that it IS metal.

EXACTLY! Metallica and Pantera Black Label Society those are metal.. and slipknot is wayyyyyyyyy heavier than Metallica..I cant say that about Black label society or pantera...But my 2 other freinds really are metalheads..In fact, the singer likes pantera =) all they listen to...Im sorry but stop calling it "nu metal" its metal! maybe i need to remind you: both of these bands, (slipknot and korn) wear FRICKING masks in concert...What other genere would you put it in??? o wait it would fit here: hip-hop =) Yeah just ignore the screaming and all the headbanging its really pop. =)

Quote by Invictious
Quote by Invictious
So trivium is metal? Well it's metalcore, but I consider them more of metal than hardcore though.

Atreyu, hardcore punk, with emphasis on punk.

ROFLMAO yep METALLICA are definetly blues..they right up there with Eric Clapton and Steve Vai...lol.... definetly gonna sig that

Quote by Invictious
Quote by Invictious

NO, copy this into your sig

Quote by Invictious

Except without space in the quote bit
Quote by guitarstar525
EXACTLY! Metallica and Pantera Black Label Society those are metal.. and slipknot is wayyyyyyyyy heavier than Metallica..I cant say that about Black label society or pantera...But my 2 other freinds really are metalheads..In fact, the singer likes pantera =) all they listen to...Im sorry but stop calling it "nu metal" its metal! maybe i need to remind you: both of these bands, (slipknot and korn) wear FRICKING masks in concert...What other genere would you put it in??? o wait it would fit here: hip-hop =) Yeah just ignore the screaming and all the headbanging its really pop. =)

Ok? SLIPKNOT is heavier then Metallica? hahahahahahahah.
And no, we won't stop calling it NU METAL , since that's what it is...
WOW OMGISH!!111 THEY WEAR MASKS ON CONSERT!11 THEY VERI METAL! please...?
And yes, korn is more hip-hop than rock, and screaming is pop, since pop = popular and screaming is very popular now.
slipknot and korn? who the **** is that? and lol at metallica being blues. yeah, cause everyone knows that bb king was the original replacement for mustaine, but it fell through.
if you live in toronto i play bass
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
So what about a band that is pigeon holed into a genre that write and records something different? Does that put it in a genre by itself?

Like a post industrial jazz hardcore blues crossover genre?

Putting bands (and yourself) into musical genres really does nobody any good.

If you need to tag music then just try 'i enjoyed that' or 'I didn't enjoy that'.
[
threadstarter....

make sure you have enough expierence, i've been playing for about 10 months and i can play alot of covers but i dont feel confidence enough in my creativity and creating songs

but, it'd be great to start playing with a friends, that's really what bands should be about, and there the ones that stick together. 5 people that cant get along causes bands to break up, but with your friend and you playing that would be the most fun i think. And try to get another friend to start up bass and get him going or something like that..

but it's horriabule expierences if you go into a band and have problems making your own stuff, it usually becomes a waste of time
Things to look for in potential bandmates (based on my 20 years of playing in bands) in order of importance:
1. Same musical goals and direction (this should be made clear somewhere just before the first rehearsal - not six months into it)
2. Reliable people who will be commited to the project (no drop-outs, flakes, rubber balls, etc.)
3. People you like
4. Can play well.
5. Have appropriate gear.

There is a massive gap between three and four here. For most musical projects, it only requires that the player is competent - not brilliant. Most players aren't interested in Dream Theater covers, and even fewer audience members are interested in that than players. If you don't have the first few things in place, your project will fail.... guaranteed.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
If you're all rank amateurs and what-not, get going on some really simple stuff, that's all. Don't bite off more than you can chew and then expect to put on a show for people. Nirvana, Pistols, etc. are all SO easy. No, it's not metal, but it is a place to start.

The Ramones wanted to sound like the Beach Boys, but they weren't good enough singers/players to pull it off. What resulted was their own sound. It all worked out. However, you can bet that over the years, they got better and could have done more musically (ie. artistically) than they did, I expect.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by guitarstar525
ROFLMAO yep METALLICA are definetly blues..they right up there with Eric Clapton and Steve Vai...lol.... definetly gonna sig that

Er... Steve Vai's not Blues, however much you might want him to be. Neither are Metallica, granted, but still. (If the Vai bit was a joke, please ignore that comment)

Quote by MetalMilitia212
actually, nu-metal is an off-shoot of hardcore.

And I didn't think Nu-Metal came from hardcore. If you ask most Nu-Metal bands who influenced them they'll say thrash metal, specifically Metallica, generally speaking. They'll also say Faith No More, who are a bit of an oddity when it comes to pigeon-holing, but are largely metal, or certainly were on The Real Thing, which is usually the album Nu-Metal guys refer to as being, y'know, awesome.

Last edited by Strat_Monkey at Sep 15, 2006,
Quote by jolliz
Ok? SLIPKNOT is heavier then Metallica? hahahahahahahah.
And no, we won't stop calling it NU METAL , since that's what it is...
WOW OMGISH!!111 THEY WEAR MASKS ON CONSERT!11 THEY VERI METAL! please...?
And yes, korn is more hip-hop than rock, and screaming is pop, since pop = popular and screaming is very popular now.

LOL watever...I Slipknot is metal all the same arguement over

Quote by Invictious
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Er... Steve Vai's not Blues, however much you might want him to be. Neither are Metallica, granted, but still. (If the Vai bit was a joke, please ignore that comment)

And I didn't think Nu-Metal came from hardcore. If you ask most Nu-Metal bands who influenced them they'll say thrash metal, specifically Metallica, generally speaking. They'll also say Faith No More, who are a bit of an oddity when it comes to pigeon-holing, but are largely metal, or certainly were on The Real Thing, which is usually the album Nu-Metal guys refer to as being, y'know, awesome.
Were the heck did you come up with the idea that Metallica are BLUES.....and i thought Steve Vai was blues....Guess i need to relook at what i consider blues, metal etc..

Quote by Invictious
lmao at steve vai being "blues" even if he did play a part in the crossroads film he wasnt playing blusey at all.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name