Sorry if this is asked everyday but I need to get a rough idea of what the first punk cd/band was for history homework. MC5 or someone of the like? What do you guys think?
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Well it wasn't a CD.

Pretty much the MC5 and Velvet Underground came out around the same time. The old Nuggets records have some of the first punk on them, and some 50s rock n roll has traces of punk in it.
Quote by hardrock1315
Well it wasn't a CD.

Pretty much the MC5 and Velvet Underground came out around the same time. The old Nuggets records have some of the first punk on them, and some 50s rock n roll has traces of punk in it.

That's most of it right there. Garage rock and rock n roll from the 50s, 60s, and 70s all had traces of punk. If you're looking for the first true punk band, most people will probably tell you the Ramones.
The Wailers from Washington State. They were around in the 50's, put out all their own records, booked their own tours and played fast as ****. Check out the Nuggets Comp for some other cool punk bands from back in the '60's.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
but wait.... chuck berry stole his moves from marty mcfly, who originally got it from chuck berry, who got it from marty mcfly, who got it from chuck berry, who got it...........AHHH! SPACE-TIME DISTRUPTION!
The first punk was Billie Joe Armstrong, who taught Johnny Rotten how to look tough.
The Velvet Underground and Nico is the first punk album.

or possibly The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators too. just pick one of them.
Quote by indestructible8
why is punk being assigned for homework

Cheers everyone, and my teachers a punk so he let me do music.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
"First punk CD?" That's an odd assignment. Popular opinion will probably point to the VU or Ramones, I guess.
Live fast, die young.
It's not the assignment. He told me to do a timeline of the 20th Century with whatever theme I wanted, so since I decided on music I thought it would be right to include the first punk CD.
^Well if you write "First punk CD," I hope you get marked wrong. You probably couldn't TRULY choose the first, and it couldn't possibly have been a CD.

Just mark up the early-mid 70s as the rise of punk-rock. That's when it really started breaking out. Ramones, Clash, Pistols, etc. etc.
Live fast, die young.
Aye, okay, that's what I did (handed in today).