Page 1 of 2
I have a friend who's ReALLY talented in guitar. and he says that he'll never archieve anything because he began playing at the age of 16 (now he's 17. plays like one year)
So everytime i tell him that theres no such a thing a determinated age to start with music, he asks for a famous good guitarist (joe satriani, vai, gazza, eric johnson, and that kind of guitarists) that began playing after they were 16 years old, and i cant manage to find one. so do you know anyone who began after 16?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

i dont know any, but i started at 17 and im now 20. im not exactly the best in the world but i love playing, and to me thats the main thing.

if he wants to be rich and famous then even that is still possible, you just have to keep at it. sulking gets noone anywhere.
eric clapton got his first guitar when he was 15, but didn't teach himself how to play until he was 17

i'm pretty sure lennon started playing guitar when he was at least 16
i think tom morello started to play seriously when he went to harvard,he was barely playing at all then he just started playing 8 hours a day no matter what
dude i'm sure theres amazing guitarist that didn't start playing till they were 30. It doesn't matter when you start playing it matters how well you progress. How much you practice. No one is gonna ask you how long have you been playing before you sign for a label.
I think Tom Morrello was like 18ish, Eric Clapton started at or after 16 I believe
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
Flea only took up bass in high school I believe.
Love is not a victory march.
^ya, the original guitarist of rhcp hillel slovak or whatever his name was got flea started
Guitars: Les paul standard faded(wcr crossroad pickups), SG special(wcr crossroads) Roadhouse strat, G&L ASAT, Mahogany Strat (P90 and SD JB)

Amps: Vox AC-15 w/celestion blue, Vox AC-4tv, Orange tiny terror head, Ampeg Reverberrocket.
its all how much you practise. If you play all day every day, you could be a great player after 3-4 years.
Read my post. Not this.
Ryan Bensley, he started at 20, and he's mental(in the face)UUUUUUURRRRRGGGGGHHHHH, rock on Bensley
Quote by Dirk Gently
Wes Montgomery started around 18 or so.

There you have it, one of the greatest of all time started at 18.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Wes Montgomery started around 18 or so.

Took my answer
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
it depends on how dedicated you are to the instrument.

i think starting a little later is sometimes better because you generally have a better understanding of music. well, that's my take on it anyway.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
Kurt Cobain started at 16 didnt he?
Don't Sacrifice a Tree for the whole forest

Quote by jsxxx
just stroke up and down and experiment...find what feels right.
Quote by FlyingVortex
Kurt Cobain started at 16 didnt he?

i believe he wanted to know of good guitarists
chris rea of northern england, i don't know how far americans are aware of him and his music. I believe he worked with David Gilmour(Pink Floyd), Jimmy paige(Led Zeppelin) and Paul Rodgers(Bad Company) for 'The Firm' band. the band didn't last long thou, it ended after releasing one album(1985). 'DANCING DOWN THE STONEY ROAD' is one of his great works.
A Satchhead told me that Joe Satriani started at 16.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Well... I started at 19 (im now 20) and im probably the single greatest guitar player to walk the face of the earth. I can liek tootaly pLay evry Green Day song. But seriously I hate Green Day.

Id say it depends on your dedication, I play every second I can when I'm not in class or doing homework and i feel like im getting better every day. So the moral of the story is, practice your ass off and you'll be fine, Idk about famous though
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
Quote by Rock1986
im probably the single greatest guitar player to walk the face of the earth. I can liek tootaly pLay evry Green Day song. But seriously I hate Green Day.

i really hope your're joking.
Quote by xyber56

No, I'm pretty sure he actually does hate Green Day

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
zappa didnt start learning guitar til he was 18

izzy stradlin didnt start til he was 21,

stuart bull whos an amazing session musician didnt start til he was 18/19

i started at 18
yeah tom morello was about 18 when he started which gines me hope. nice to c a black guy in proper rock too! he is one o my faves, mostly cus o the blackness lol
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.

Quote by absinthe5765
Someone woke up on the wrong side of his mother this morning.

Allan Holdsworth started age 17, and was one of Britains highest ranked jazz players by his early twenties.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
it doesnt matter what age, look at zakk wylde he was 15 when he started playing and in jst 4 short years he was ozzy osbourne's guitarist at 19. In 4 years he was seen to be good enough to fill the shoes of guys like tony iommi, jake e lee and randy, even if he didnt start til he was 20, he would only have been 24 with the same effort and practice he put in to be as good as he was.
Quote by quinny1089
i think ive heard rusty cooly started at 16...

He did.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by xyber56

Yes I was joking.
1. Of course I am not the greatest guitarist ever, I really wouldn't consider myself good compared to a lot of players on this site
2. No I've actually never tryied to learn any Green Day song, I actually like to learn songs that I consider a challenge.
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Kirk Hammet was only 16 when he started playing, 19-20 when they recorded Kill Em All.

There is hope for all us late starters
Originally posted by turinbrakes
actually YOU SUCK

"I once read a poem, held my breath
But that moment's gone
First time I felt life, somewhat hurts
Need an option and some hope "

Anders Fridén
Last edited by EpitaphMan440 at Sep 22, 2006,
Id love to play Trapped Under Ice, only been playing 2 years... grr..
patrick stewart is awesome
Page 1 of 2