This is probally a stupid question but...I recenetly joined a metal band at my school. I've been playing guitars for about 2 and a half years and i am the main songwriter in the band. My question is how do i make sure that my bands music isnt classified as "metacore"/hardcore/screamo or stuff like that. Thanks for any help
i think metal on this site, just plain metal is stuff in the vein of black sabbath, old school metallica, iron maiden and stuff of that like (music influenced largely by blues and the NWOBHM) most anything else is subgenred into something else.
Dont scream
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

to avoid those genres, vocals are one key point. make sure you do not have the typical vocals of those genres - listening to bands will show you what i mean. breakdowns is another thing, they're big in metalcore & hardcore. tho if i were you i would just play from the heart and **** what anyone else thinks because, well....music is about expression....
Most metalcore bands sound like melodic death metal bands like In Flames and At The Gates, but A) there are some rythmic differences, and B) the lead riffs tend to sound generic.

Don't follow the typical hardcore song structure, don't use hardcore-styled floor-punch breakdowns (regular metal breakdowns, like in Angel of Death by Slayer, are acceptable), don't write lyrics about the typical hardcore themes, and don't be emo like Atreyu or BMFV.

About the screaming-some bands, like The Haunted, are able to do screaming and get away with it. Most metal bands tend to growl, or just plain sing, depending on the genre.

What kind of metal do you hope to play?
I don't really have anything planned for what type of metal. I like stuff from most genres. I havent practiced with these guys yet cuz im grounded (i'm 16) but they told me they are plannin to scream most of the time...i can kinda scream it sounds like the newer Children of Bodom but i still wanted to make sure it didnt sound metalcore.
Last edited by MetaLunatic at Sep 14, 2006,
Quote by MetaLunatic
I don't really have anything planned for what type of metal. I like stuff from most genres. I havent practiced with these guys yet cuz im grounded (i'm 16) but they told me they are plannin to scream most of the time...i can kinda scream it sounds like the newer Children of Bodom but i still wanted to make sure it didnt sound metalcore.

i think screaming in music sucks, you sing for a melody, not noise
Quote by 4 string judas
you sing for a melody

Are you actually telling other people why they sing?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by tenfold
It may not sound good to everyone but it takes skill, and it can still involve a melody if you're good.
It generally doesn't. Every time I hear a generic *core song with thrashed powerchords, lame riffs and screaming, I die a little inside.

To T/S
Learn theory, analyse alot of metal songs with theory, study the classical methods of writing a melody, study counterpoint.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.