Page 1 of 2
Hey all you UGers. I have had a design idea for a while now (first called Differential Drive, not to be confused with the Differential Distortion), and with some recent thoughts and ideas from people, I decided to test out my idea. Well, I did it on breadboard yesterday and it worked GREAT! Today I perfboarded it and worked GREAT again! So I decided that to share with you all.

So this is basically what it does. It is a circuit that has different ways of clipping. Clipping is essentially what distortion/overdrive/fuzz is made of. It can be hard (distortion/fuzz) or soft (overdrive), symmetrical or asymmetrical. With this pedal you can do it all! This circuit has just about an unlimited amount of possibilities. If you would like to calculate the amount of possibilities, theres 10 things that can be switched on or off and there can be as many on as you want.

One advantage and at the same time disadvantage to this pedal is that it must be used with a distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal. Its good because when its running through another drive pedal thats bypassed, you cant tell there any drive added if any of the switches are on. But, as soon as you turn on your other drive pedal, this one boosts the volume ALOT, and drives the pedal SO much harder! Another advantage to this pedal is that there absolutely NO battery or power supply needed for this pedal! Great because it wastes absolutely no batteries!

You can get just about any tone with this pedal and an overdrive pedal such as a bluesy light overdrive, a hard overdrive, a heavy distortion, a crackly fuzz, etc... Theres pretty much unlimited possibilities with what you can do with this pedal on the outside, and definately unlimited possibilities on the inside that I would be able to do.

Im not planning on posting a schematic or diagram because I am planning on selling this pedal. I will have some soundclips for you all probably tomarrow!
clever boy.how disgusted will you be to hear Zvex already have that idea and are developing it for production sometime next year.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

i know because........ I AM ZVEX!!!!!

only jokin i havent heard anything like that, just wanted to give you a mini heartattack!

sounds super if its as good as you say,id prefer it if you made a pedal out of it tho,that'd be mega cool.or is that possible??
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Aww come on. Schem needed.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Buzz- You did give me a mini heart attack! It is a pedal... . I will show you some clips tomarrow of it so you can seriously see how cool it is.

Pink- I with think about it, but for now... No.

But, like I said, theres about 10 (or more) switches, but if people wanted, they could be turned into "blend" pots so you could have the pot a 0 (off) and then 10 (full), and anywhere in between for INFINATE possiblilties.
The problem with pedals isn't building them or designing them.
The problem is getting the initiative to dive headfirst into it and actually sell any.
i pictured the zvex random evelope filter when i read the post so thats why i said Zvex.
anyway my point would be to basically rob the chassis of that pedal (i think it has about 10 push on/off buttons along the top of it) and put your pedal in that.
THAT would be AMAZING.

15% of all profits you make from the pedal go to me if you use the Zvex chassis
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

those are actually pots but you get what i mean,just put those pushbutton switches on it instead.
some modern strats have the type of button i mean,it adds the bridge pup i think.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Pink- Exactly... Designing and building pedals arent exactly complicated. Its the actual initiative understand how the specific pedal operates like you said.

buzz- I think it would be way expensive to buy Zvex pedals JUST for the enclosure. Although it would be a nice $300 enclosure... The switches arent footswitches/pushbuttons though. They are flick switches. You dont really need footswitches for this. Its pretty much just a "set it for what you need for a song" and then you can flick some switches to change it for a new sound or something.

But , these pedals can be made pretty much for anyone with any specs for it because theres so many possibilities. It can have switches or pots, then it can have anywhere from 4-8-12-18-any number of clipping stages that you can switch each on/off for any sound.
dang, you're getting good at this whole naming pedals thing
cross clip, differential distortion, etc
they're catchy (punchy?)
^-Well it depends on what you would want.

Some options are:
Selection Controls: Switches OR Pots
Gain Stages: 8 OR 10 OR 12 OR ???
Anything else you can think of...
How much would it cost for one with the pots and like 12 gain stages? So does the pedal you use this with have to be on for the thing to work. and what happens if you were to use it with another kind of pedal thats not distortion/fuzz/overdrive?
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
First... It works fine without other pedals, but what I was saying is that its pretty transparent unless theres another drive pedal (any overdrive/distortion/fuzz) with it. It should work fine with other pedals like phasers/flangers/chorus/etc... but it needs a drive pedal to actually get it to give a substantial gain boost. But when you have it with another drive pedal, the change is very substantial and can change it to many different sounds.

For 12 stages and pots it would be around $60 or so. Thats an estimate.
how much would you plan on selling one of these pedals, I might be interested to buy one form you.
My Gear

Marshal MG250DFX
Fender Standard HSS Strat
Jackson JS30
Ibanez AEG20E Acoustic
I think I might get one, when do you plan on selling them?
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
^- . Theres not really any set time I will sell them. I would start anytime. It doesnt take me long to make it (1-2 days). But what I would have to get up front is like half of the money for the thing, because I have had a few people order things from me, I order parts and build it, and they cancel. But let me get soundclips up so you all can see it before I get orders .
Ok I'll wait, hope it sounds as good as you say it does
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
NO QUOTES OR BUYING CRAP IN THIS THREAD, OR YOU GET A WARNING!

So...it seems to me from the description you're just building an external clipping stage for an existing pedal...?
there are plenty of ways you can build an clipping circuit
diodes, zener diodes, transistors, etc
plus you can cascade them as much as you want
ya i obviously mean dont buy a Zvex and **** the circuit in the bin!!just make a box like that and stick the on/off buttons (or switches!!) along the top in a similar fashion to the pictured pedal i put up. ja get meh???

also in keeping with the Zvex theme iv thought of a brilliant name for your pedal:
THE BIG CLIPPER.

excellent eh? like the big dipper in the sky....except its a gain pedal with lots of clipping....hence the big clipper.

?!?!?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Pink- I was just introducing it and stuff. Im planning on posting clips and pictures soon so yea... They just asked so I answered...

buzz- Theres already a Blue Clipper so Big Clipper is kindof close. I still like Cross Clip for now.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Pink- I was just introducing it and stuff. Im planning on posting clips and pictures soon so yea... They just asked so I answered...

buzz- Theres already a Blue Clipper so Big Clipper is kindof close. I still like Cross Clip for now.

do you have any soundclips of it released yet. also happy birthday since its so close mate you thought i forgot about it but i didnt lucky myspace reminded me
Quote by azn_guitarist25
do you have any soundclips of it released yet. also happy birthday since its so close mate you thought i forgot about it but i didnt lucky myspace reminded me

I am actually at school at the moment so no clips until I get home. And thanks! My birthday is Sunday so I cant wait! I get my driving Permit on Monday!!
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
I am actually at school at the moment so no clips until I get home. And thanks! My birthday is Sunday so I cant wait! I get my driving Permit on Monday!!

wait but arent you like turning 15 so you get your driving permit before me. damn bastard. and yeh how long left until you get home 4 hours i presume
Yea im turning 15 but in Florida we can get our permits right at 15. I get home around 3:30PM or something so thats 3:30AM for you. I will probably have the soundclips at like 4-4:30PM for me, 4-4:30AM for you. Haha I guess you will see in the morning.
nah actually i would be to tired by then so i probably will check them at like 8pm for me so 8am for you
Ok Sound Clips! The video camera is facing the BluesBreaker pedal for most clips and the 4uzz for 1 clip. None are facing the Cross Clip because its not boxed yet.

1. Wind Cries Mary (My 8 stage Cross Clip has switches 1, 2, and 8 on). These are the smoothest sounding stages. My guitar is on rhythm Coil Tap: http://media.putfile.com/Wind-Cries-Mary-83
2. Panama (All 8 switches on): http://media.putfile.com/Panama-37
3. Little Wing (Some switches on). For rhythm my guitar volume is set to 5-6. For lead I am set to 10. Guitar is on Coil tap neck: http://media.putfile.com/Little-Wing-98-40
4. Gain Stages (Multiple switches) I turn on then off 1, then on/off 2, etc... Then I turn on/off 1 and its match (8), then I turn on/off 2 and its match (7), etc...: http://media.putfile.com/Gain-Stages
5. Purple Haze (Smooth and some rougher switches on). First I play with it through the 4uzz only. Then I put them both on. Sounds SMOOTH to me : http://media.putfile.com/Purple-Haze-95-76
The pedal sounds nice, really... but i'm curious, how long have u been playing?
Trey is a Jedi.

Co-Founder of the Ten Years After Fan Club. PM me or TheHeartbreaker to join.

Member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.
^-Thanks. And I should have said, when I record these things... I am definately not demonstrating my playing, so if thats what you are getting to... I am definately way better than that.
Haha, yeah no offence or anything, the rhythm was a little uhh... off I guess.. but thats not the point, the pedal is great.
Trey is a Jedi.

Co-Founder of the Ten Years After Fan Club. PM me or TheHeartbreaker to join.

Member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.
^-yea i know... its not the greatest playing in these clips, but thats because I am just kindof playing whatever, and not thinking or anything.

I know off topic, but heres two recordings using my BluesBreaker and 4uzz pedals so I can show you a bit more of my skill (even though its still not my best:
Voodoo Child: http://media.putfile.com/Voodoo-Chile-finished-MP3
Crazy Train: http://media.putfile.com/Crazy-Train-Metal-Jam

/Back on topic now...
have you thought about applying for a patent yet? Who knows you could be the next "Boss".

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
Boo, ever heard of open source?
be fair and share....:p lol
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
^Pfft...

So is it just an external clipping stage?
^likely, there's no power source after all, so it limits what it can really do on it's own and why it really requires another pedal for it to actually do something.

i'm guessing just a whole mess of different types of circuits that would cause clipping, distortion, saturation, etc? maybe cascaded etc?
Page 1 of 2