Ahh I hate how you can barely hear basses in most bands!!

Whats the point of even having bassists in bands if you can't even hear them, and if you turned em up it sound so much better.

Basses should be more important then rythm guitars.
yeah. some of the bands i listen to i hear the bass very well. its usually a solo in some chiodos song but then it dies down
Most bands today just make the bassist play root notes. That contributes to the not-hearing-the-bass problem.

If the bassist is doing something different, then it can have a huge impact on the song, although most people still probably wouldn't realize what the bass is doing.
I have to agree that a lot of bands need more bass, but sadly i'm just a mediocre teenage bass player who really doesnt have much opinion in mainstream music.

its just one of those things that sadly happens.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
some songs you dont even realize its there, but its still a big part... like if you took it out youd notice that it sounds a little different
Quote by iVenom
Basses should be more important then rythm guitars.

Ummmmmmm........

No. Guitars can play more than one note. Happy, Mod?:stickpoke
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Last edited by cashewchaching at Sep 14, 2006,
Quote by cashewchaching
violin? odd choice. good, but odd...
yep, but cello would be neat. or a string quartet.
Quote by cashewchaching
violin? odd choice. good, but odd...

Learn to edit your posts, and "ummm... no" is not a very helpful answer.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by evh77
some songs you dont even realize its there, but its still a big part... like if you took it out youd notice that it sounds a little different

Yep. Sometimes what you hear is rhythm guitar and bass mixed together.
Quote by cashewchaching
Ummmmmmm........

There's more than one note on a bass, too. Idiot.
If you really want to hear a song that the bass overpowers the guitar go to http://youtube.com/watch?v=2e7M_bs9diw. The reason its so easy to hear is because Ryan put the low ends through a bass amp and the high ends through a guitar amp. All basses should do this.

Main reason its hard to hear the bass is because no is really talented enough to play the instrument in mainstream music with the exception of Flea and a few others. So the production team turns it down or else it would just be F#, G, and F over and over again.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Quote by cashewchaching
Ummmmmmm........

You are the biggest, most ignorant idiot I've come across recently. I really hope that you don't honestly think that. And why the **** do pathetic wannabe guitarists always come into the bass forum? They know nothing about the bass, most of them can barely spell bass. They should just stay in their little hole.
Quote by cashewchaching
Ummmmmmm........

so can any instrument... you do realise there are 7 notes excluding accidentals?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
so to put all the highs through a guitar amp and the lows through bass... would one roll off the highs and some of the mid on the bass amp, and roll off the low on the guitar amp?

you need something called a crossover, which filters the frequencies and sends certain ones to different outputs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Guys, stop listening to metal bands then! this is part of the genre. you asitn supposed to hear the bass a lot. Plus the guitars are all over driven , and more often the bass is too, so you aint gonna hear it. Listen to something with a more soul and you'll be able to appreciate the bass. I never have problems hearing the bass in the tunes i listen to
Quote by Deliriumbassist
hmmm... how much would one cost me? Cos I wanna get some decent clarification out of my C and G strings, but get a decent rumble with the lower notes, and I reckon a crossover would help with that.

having a bi-amped amp is a great invention. i have one running a 4x10 and a 1x18, its very nice to have. gives another dmension to the bass.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Applehead
Guys, stop listening to metal bands then! this is part of the genre. you asitn supposed to hear the bass a lot. Plus the guitars are all over driven , and more often the bass is too, so you aint gonna hear it. Listen to something with a more soul and you'll be able to appreciate the bass. I never have problems hearing the bass in the tunes i listen to

I second that... a thousand times and plus if there wasn't a bass you would notice
Whether you can listen to the bass or not depends on the music..compare older songs to
newer ones.

Originally Posted by cashewchaching
Ummmmmmm........

No. Guitars can play more than one note. Happy, Mod?

BASS DOESN'T JUST GETS STUCK TO ONE NOTE!!!Is there any guitarist posting in here, o.0 ?
well,bassist,its time to kick some as*!!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
hmmm... how much would one cost me? Cos I wanna get some decent clarification out of my C and G strings, but get a decent rumble with the lower notes, and I reckon a crossover would help with that.
If everyone had to fill in their profile questions like this would be easier to answer, where do you live, outer Mon-Nashville, British West Africa? What is the currency where you live, Yen, Lira, $, £?
Bi & Triamping is the standard way of separating frequencies, I Biamp my rig, what you should bear in mind is that if you don't have the bass section more powerful than the mids and uppers it wont sound as good a full range system, upwards of twice the wattage should go to the bass section.
Regarding "Why doesn't Bass cut through", the answer is usualy because of the underpowered 10"/12" little amp that is being used, a minimum of 300 watts in at least a single 15".
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
If everyone had to fill in their profile questions like this would be easier to answer, where do you live, outer Mon-Nashville, British West Africa? What is the currency where you live, Yen, Lira, $, £?
Bi & Triamping is the standard way of separating frequencies, I Biamp my rig, what you should bear in mind is that if you don't have the bass section more powerful than the mids and uppers it wont sound as good a full range system, upwards of twice the wattage should go to the bass section.
Regarding "Why doesn't Bass cut through", the answer is usualy because of the underpowered 10"/12" little amp that is being used, a minimum of 300 watts in at least a single 15".

aye, I see yer point... I live in the UK, so my currency is £.