Page 1 of 64
With training camps starting today, the season is just around the corner. The offseason has been exciting enough so It'll be great to see how exciting the season becomes.

So this is the thread to talk about the 06/07 NHL Regular season... anything from trades, games, playoffs, get advice/talk about your fantasy hockey teams, or discuss the past season.

For a full list of free agent signings, visit here.

For rosters, lines, signings, and people to watch for, visit here.

Western Conference

CENTRAL: Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Nashville, St. Louis

NORTHWEST: Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Minnesota, Vancouver

PACIFIC: Anaheim, Dallas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose

Eastern Conference

ATLANTIC: New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

NORTHEAST: Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto

SOUTHEAST: Atlanta, Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington

Your Picks

Calder: Malkin

Norris: Pronger

Hart: Ovechkin

Vezina: Luongo (Fav. team bias comes into play )

Jack Adams: Lindy Ruff

My Predictions;

Eastern Conference
1. Buffalo*
2. Ottawa
3. New York Rangers
4. New Jersey
5. Carolina
6. Montreal
7. Philidelphia
8. Atlanta
-----------------
9. Toronto
10. Boston
11. Tampa Bay
12. Washington
13. Pittsburgh
14. Florida
15. New York Islanders

Darkhorse: I'll go with the Pittsburgh Penguins, I won't be suprised if they make me look like a fool here.

Western Conference
1. Anaheim*
2. Nasvhille*
3. Minnesota*
4. San Jose
5. Calgary
6. Detroit
7. Edmonton
8. Vancouver
-------------------
9. Dallas
10. Phoenix
11. Colorado
12. Los Angelas
13. Colorado
14. St. Louis
15. Chicago

Darkhorse: Minnesota Wild

So anyways, to start off the discussions:

A) Is anyone else rediculously excited to see Malkin play?
B) Will the Leafs get back in the playoffs?
C) Will Koivu be OKed to play the opener?

I'm going crazy waiting for the start of the season, as I'm sure most of the other Canadians on this damn board are. 20 days!
Last edited by wilty00 at Sep 16, 2006,
A) Heard lots about him...semi-excited, not crazy excited mainly because theres just so much hype around him that I don't think he will live upto the expectations that people are putting on him...but you never know

B) I don't think the Leafs will make the playoffs..but then again you never know

C) I couldn't really tell ya
hell yeah i'm extatic about the new season. i wonder how many americans will be watching this year? as for me i've got a 16 game pack of flames tickets we got tanguay now so watch out edmonton your asses are ours. go flames go go flames go i'm seeing my first game of the season in a week or so (preseason mind ya)
phanuef is gonna knock someone out this year yea!!!
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by latinosuperstud
if i buy a les paul studio and walk out into public a man in a clown and/or gorilla suit named tyrese, will come attack me and/or rape me
I don't think the Leafs will make the playoffs. Sure, they got some help on the blue line by signing Gill and Kubina, but they still don't have someone that can play with Sundin.
Quote by spiritinthesky9
as for me i've got a 16 game pack of flames tickets

I'm sorry to hear that.
Quote by spiritinthesky9
phanuef is gonna knock someone out this year yea!!![/

Hopefully not himself this time.
Calder: Evgeni Malkin

Norris: Niklas Lidstrom (This is assuming his captain role works well)

Hart: Alexander Ovechkin

Vezina: Kari Lehtonen (Keep an eye on him, he'll do very well)

Jack Adams: Peter Laviolette (Don't count the Canes out yet.)

A) Im excited to see Garnet Exelby knock Malkin on his ass.
B) Yes, I believe so. I also think the Canadiens and Lightning will drop out of them.
C) Nah, Koivu will have to wait.

As I said in the other thread, here's my standings prediction.

Eastern Conference
1. Buffalo*
2. Philadelphia*
3. Atlanta*
4. Carolina
5. Ottawa
6. New Jersey
7. New York Rangers
8. Toronto
-------------------
9. Montreal
10. Boston
11. Tampa Bay
12. Washington
13. Florida
14. New York Islanders
15. Pittsburgh

I predict the 'Canes falling about 2 or 3 points behind the Thrashers.
Darkhorse: Boston Bruins

Western Conference
1. Nashville*
2. Anaheim*
3. Calgary*
4. San Jose
5. Detroit
6. Vancouver
7. Minnesota
8. Dallas
-------------------
9. Columbus
10. Colorado
11. Los Angeles
12. Edmonton
13. Phoenix
14. St. Louis
15. Chicago

Darkhorse: Columbus Bluejackets

Anyone else got predictions?

Edit:
Quote by mr.joopy987
I don't think the Leafs will make the playoffs. Sure, they got some help on the blue line by signing Gill and Kubina, but they still don't have someone that can play with Sundin.

Don't count Jeff O'Neill out quite yet, he's reunited with Paul Maurice.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Yes, double post, but whatever.

This image was leaked onto the Sabres' website today

It was supposed to reveal bit by bit until the timer ran out, BUT the flash program didnt work and the jersey was leaked, the countdown was taken off the site pretty quickly.
agh, that sabres jersey is wretched
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
I'm jonesin for hockey like you would never believe. Koivu might need surgery at the end of the year if his vision doesn't improve, which today he said it wasn't doing too good...he's going to wear contact lenses for this season.

Today was the Habs (and i'm assuming the rest of the NHL's) first day of trainig camp which was just the fitness stuff. I haven't heard any reports of anyone coming to camp out of shape, which is good. Tomorrow is the start of on-ice stuff..first preseason game is soon too!!
I'm not sure the leafs will make the playoffs due to the fact that their goaltending sitution with raycroft who was horrible last year and aubin who had a small "hot" streak for awhile. I think you might even see pogge come up for a few games in things go badly. I gotta agree the flames look good this year with tanguay added and phaneuf only bound to get better. If i was to pick a somewhat darkhorse its either atlanta or nashville, atlantas got so much scoring power with kovalchuck and hossa if the goaltending holds together they should do well. Nashville has a stellar keeper in Vokoun(forget how to spell his name) and a great D core with timmonen,zidlicky,hamhuis, weber and suter(probably one of the best in the league), if they get another good year out of kariya and sullivan they should go far. Would also help if martin erat finally did something for once too

lol man that was long anyway im pretty excited
Rig:
Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Red
Fender Highway One Strat w/ 2 Seymour Duncan Hot Rails & Dimarzio X2N

Boss SD-1
Boss TU-2
Traynor YCV50 Blue
The leafs will not make the playoffs as they are the devil an destined for hell(read the bottom of the eastern conference.... below *gasp* the panthers)....hahahah (but seriously, they have done tests.... pure evil).

Malkin will be explosive....

Malkin + Crosby = teh goals!

Pittsburgh will go nowhere as they have one good line.

Lehtonen will not win the vesina.... (Luongo will but, I am biased)

The Canucks will be interesting to watch. I have so many questions about the line-up.

*Note: The Canucks matched Kesslers offer sheet*

GO CANUCKS GO!

BTW. To the guy with the flames tickets.... try caffine pills. They might ( big emphasis on might) keep you awake will Daryl Sutter's drones grind out 60 minutes for a 1-0 game.
Quote by Desk Jocky
*Note: The Canucks matched Kesslers offer sheet*

And for that, Nonis is a complete idiot.

Ryan Kessler is NOT worth 1.9 million, and now they'll be strapped come trading deadline. The Canucks you see right now are the very same ones you'll see at the end of the season, dont expect trades from them. Words cannot express how bad of a move Nonis made with signing Kessler.

2nd round pick > 10 goal scorer
Quote by Liberation
And for that, Nonis is a complete idiot.

Ryan Kessler is NOT worth 1.9 million, and now they'll be strapped come trading deadline. The Canucks you see right now are the very same ones you'll see at the end of the season, dont expect trades from them. Words cannot express how bad of a move Nonis made with signing Kessler.

2nd round pick > 10 goal scorer

what do u mean don't expect trades??...they can still move Morrison around if they wish, and he would fetch a decent price on the trading market...and if they are looking for cap room Im sure they could find a centre thats around the same level as Morrison for less money...

Personally, I think Kesler is good, he is gritty, not afraid of the corners, and can score as well
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
what do u mean don't expect trades??...they can still move Morrison around if they wish, and he would fetch a decent price on the trading market...and if they are looking for cap room Im sure they could find a centre thats around the same level as Morrison for less money...

Personally, I think Kesler is good, he is gritty, not afraid of the corners, and can score as well

Noone will take Morrison and give someone with a smaller cap hit in return unless the Canucks throw in a 1st or 2nd rounder..which..isnt worth it.

Kesler (Realized Ive been spelling it wrong) is nothing special, and I wouldve gone for getting Philly's second rounder instead of completely wasting $1.9 million in cap space. With that 2nd rounder, theres a chance they couldve traded Morrison, as I listed earlier.
Lehtinen as Vezina winner?!?!?!?! yea right. Kipper's gonna have a repeat, and if not, he'll be closer than lehtinen for sure.
personally, i think this thread should be retitled NY Rangers Domination League, cause that's whats gonna happen. henreik and the boys are going to take you to SCHOOL! RING THE BELL!
Teh_Guitarer: No Kiprusoff wont repeat, Lehtonen (If he stays healthy) will definately be at least nominated.

jimmyjimjim: No, just no.

the_trooper49: Nah, Hossa's gonna school Heatley
hey, i never stop believing. the rangers were picked to finished 31st last year. i think they were underestimated last year and now they're even better.
Ill take the sharks over any.
Experience is something you don?t have, until just after you need it.
Quote by cheeksar
Ill take the sharks over any.

Sharks won't win the cup.

Ducks > Sharks
Quote by Liberation
Sharks won't win the cup.

Ducks > Sharks

Wilson is the best GM going. to take san Jose from the last place team so a boneifyed contender is something else. Ever since he picked up Owen Nolan the sharks have been a new club. And by the time Nolan left the sharks had developed the most talented scouts, and have drafted according. Look at the years?Jeff Friesen, Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm, Patrick Marleau?
Experience is something you don?t have, until just after you need it.
Quote by Liberation
Teh_Guitarer: No Kiprusoff wont repeat, Lehtonen (If he stays healthy) will definately be at least nominated.

jimmyjimjim: No, just no.

the_trooper49: Nah, Hossa's gonna school Heatley

i think i may quote you on that then too if i have room
Heh.

Im supposed to be a bit of a douche about hockey Its the spirit of the game.
Dominik Hasek is winning his seventh vezina. GO WINGS!!!
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by cheeksar
Wilson is the best GM going. to take san Jose from the last place team so a boneifyed contender is something else. Ever since he picked up Owen Nolan the sharks have been a new club. And by the time Nolan left the sharks had developed the most talented scouts, and have drafted according. Look at the years?Jeff Friesen, Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm, Patrick Marleau?

Actually, every single player you named was drafted/acquired by now Kings GM Dean Lombardi. But Wilson still is a top 5 GM in the league.

Calder: Malkin

Norris: Lidstrom

Hart: Ovechkin

Vezina: Kipper

Jack Adams: Ron Wilson (bias, sue me.)

EASTERN CONFERENCE
1. Ottawa
2. Buffalo
3. NY Rangers
4. Carolina
5. New Jersey
6. Philly
7. Atlanta
8. Montreal
-----------------------------
9. Boston
10. Tampa Bay
11. Toronto
12. Pittsburgh
13. Washington
14. Florida
15. NY Islanders

WESTERN CONFERENCE
1. Anaheim (Better than SJ in the regular season, but will fall in the playoffs.)
2. Calgary
3. Nashville
4. San Jose
5. Detroit
6. Dallas
7. Vancouver
8. Minnesota
-------------------
9. Edmonton
10. Colorado
11. L.A.
12. Columbus
13. Phoenix
14. St. Loius
15. Chicago

GO SHARKS!
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

Quote by Liberation
Noone will take Morrison and give someone with a smaller cap hit in return unless the Canucks throw in a 1st or 2nd rounder..which..isnt worth it.

Kesler (Realized Ive been spelling it wrong) is nothing special, and I wouldve gone for getting Philly's second rounder instead of completely wasting $1.9 million in cap space. With that 2nd rounder, theres a chance they couldve traded Morrison, as I listed earlier.

how were they getting philly's second rounder??...not trying to be a asshole, but I just missed that part of the information I guess..
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
how were they getting philly's second rounder??...not trying to be a asshole, but I just missed that part of the information I guess..

If a team signs another team's RFA, the team losing a player gets a draft pick as compensation. The round of the pick is based on salary of the player. In Kessler's case, the Flyers would owe the Canucks a second rounder as compensation.
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

Quote by bigwillie
If a team signs another team's RFA, the team losing a player gets a draft pick as compensation. The round of the pick is based on salary of the player. In Kessler's case, the Flyers would owe the Canucks a second rounder as compensation.

thanks for clearing that up for me Bigwillie, and now after reading that...yes, matching the offer was a dumb move....damn..now I have to change my little thing under my name...
Quote by Liberation
13. Phoenix

Quote by bigwillie

13. Phoenix

are you guys insane in the membrane?

go look at their roster and fix your prediciton.
Quote by wahappen

This is a guitar community not Romper Room.
Quote by marchoso

Sorry,

Quote by bigwillie
14. Phoenix

Fixed.

Seriously, they could go as high as 7, but I'm not liking the Coyotes chances that much. They will have a very good defense in a few years, but as of now, they are about average. I put them at 13 becuase I both dislike Cujo and that coyote howl they play after they score. That's just plain annoying.

Last edited by bigwillie at Sep 15, 2006,
Quote by marchoso

I was thinking that when I saw it. I still don't think they're a playoff team yet, but they definitly aren't bottom feeders anymore.
Quote by highvoltage66
my vote is that the Penguins are gonna win the stanly cup

having 1 good line and a good goalie doesn't win the cup my friend