I have my guitar hooked up and everything but idk how to get the guitar sounds to come out of the speaker? can I get some help?
Wish i could help you. I have the same question.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by twittch
what operating system are you using?

Quote by ?.?.? ³
a Gateway

lmfao, he means like what type of windows/mac
like winxp, etc.
Coheed and Cambria

Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
what do the frets actually do apart from seperating one note from another?
well a gateway means hes using windows, which means you need drivers, read your manuals and make sure you have all the software installed, or buy a recording program that will detect the guitar
Quote by Doolittle
Do it for Hedwig!
:/ I just want it so my guitar comes out of my computer speakers do I really have to read the whole manual or can you help me?
Lol, go to your audio options box thing, should be in

start/programs/accessories/entertainment/volume control/

And put the microphones volume up so you can hear it while playing. I think I may have solved your problem without using the technical language the other guys tryed to use. LOL
Getting the guitar to play through your computer speakers requires two things:

1) pre-amp - because the guitar is a passive device, so you can't just hook it up to your computer's line-in connector and expect it to generate sound.

2) effects - because your computer doesn't generate effects for you unless you've bought software to do it.

The cheapest way I can think of is for you to get a used Behringer V-Amp 2 from eBay for $60. This unit acts as both the pre-amp and generates the effects for you. It has a recording output that you can plug into the input of your computer's sound card and have it play through your computer.

Actually, I just thought of a cheaper way: get a Smokey earphone amp for $25 that runs off of a 9 volt battery. You can then plug the output of this little amp to your computer.

This headphone amp will work as both the pre-amp and distortion/fuzz box.
Ibanez RG2570E, Epiphone VJH-PP, Celestion V30 Lopo Line 1x12, EHX Metal Muff, Yamaha Magicstomp MKII, Tascam CD-GT1 MKII
Actually, you can do it without a preamp. NI's software "Guitar Rig 2" lets you hook it straight up from line in and then you can pick amps, petals, speaker sizes and all of that fun jazz. No amp required. Not sure on how amazing it can sound, you kind of have to play around with it alot to figure out how to get the most volume and least feedback.
The guitar is a passive device, without a pre-amp how would you connect it to the computer's line-in input?
Ibanez RG2570E, Epiphone VJH-PP, Celestion V30 Lopo Line 1x12, EHX Metal Muff, Yamaha Magicstomp MKII, Tascam CD-GT1 MKII
Quote by leelee
The guitar is a passive device, without a pre-amp how would you connect it to the computer's line-in input?

Yes, you can. I do it in that way to record. You must have a soundcard driver compatible with ASIO. If don't then you can download a generic here: http://www.asio4all.com/

Then you must go to the sound setting of windows and check on the recordings options to "line in". Then, you must download some VST effects, there's a lot free one. The best i think is amplitube, but is not free (try to download at some p2p). The last step is to use a recording program to use those VST effects, the best one free is think is "Kristal Audio Engine". Easy and free.

P.D: If you still won't get any sound from "line in" try "mic in". The difference is that in "mic in" you will get more feedback and stuff.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS