Page 3 of 78
Quote by xArCaDiAx
No...not really. Again, its Green Day. And Green Day, with the release of American Idiot picked up an immense amount of teenybopper fans. That is not a bad thing, if you are the band, but for the most part these fans tend to be like "Holy ****! American Idiot is such a powerful album. I mean, the songs "American Idiot" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends" are things the Government should pay attention to!!!1!!!!1 "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" is a song that is soo powerful. I mean, I've never heard anything like that before." Even though its been done for the past 20 years.....aka....traditional punk music. So, unique..definitely not. Kick ass...can't see how.

EDIT: You were 13 when it came out? Well then...that proves some of my point. No offense, really.

Okay, let's look at it this way. Pretend it wasn't Green Day. Now, think about the album. Would you have really said it sucks and isn't anything to be acknowledged? The songs are great, the videos were pretty decent, not to mention hilarious (Tre in drag ), the lyrics were awesome, I think the fact that it was Green Day gave GD fans the tendency to compare it to their older stuff, which then if you think about like that, it isn't such a great album. When I first heard AI, I hadn't heard any of their older stuff and was typically unbiased, I thought it was great, the coolest thing out there. Now that I've heard alot of their older stuff, AI has definitley lost some of it's cool and rank on my list of fav albums. AI is pretty decent, when it lies uncompared to their older stuff.
Teenyboppers are annoying, in fact I used to be one. But as you will see, most of them have pretty much taken care of themselves and moved on to whatever is popular on MTV now. Without taking into account, the new fan base, AI is still a decent album, better than decent.
Cause I love feelin' dirty
And I love feelin' cheap
And I love it when you hurt me
So drive those staples deep
Quote by nerk13
Okay, let's look at it this way. Pretend it wasn't Green Day. Now, think about the album. Would you have really said it sucks and isn't anything to be acknowledged? The songs are great, the videos were pretty decent, not to mention hilarious (Tre in drag ), the lyrics were awesome, I think the fact that it was Green Day gave GD fans the tendency to compare it to their older stuff, which then if you think about like that, it isn't such a great album. When I first heard AI, I hadn't heard any of their older stuff and was typically unbiased, I thought it was great, the coolest thing out there. Now that I've heard alot of their older stuff, AI has definitley lost some of it's cool and rank on my list of fav albums. AI is pretty decent, when it lies uncompared to their older stuff.
Teenyboppers are annoying, in fact I used to be one. But as you will see, most of them have pretty much taken care of themselves and moved on to whatever is popular on MTV now. Without taking into account, the new fan base, AI is still a decent album, better than decent.

No offense, but even IF it wasn't Green Day, I would still say it sucks and is highly generic. I don't hate Green Day, I am a fan of their older stuff a lot more though. I don't absolutely hate the new stuff they release either. But, regardless, I find this album very generic in comparison to both their older stuff and to the music scene in which they are involved.
Can You Fill In The Blanks?
there was soemthing i wanted to say to yuor post...i forget now.

but if your username was just nerk instead of nerk 13, i would call you NERK!

EDIT: obviously directed at nerk13.
I was living a lie, now I'm dying to know the truth...
You can call me Nerk.

To Arcadia- You have an interesting name. To the comment above, that's pretty weird, but I guess just depends on your taste in music. If that's your opinion, so be it, I respect that. What's your favorite album anyways? Same question to Musical Meds.
And I love feelin' cheap
i listened to the whole of nimrod today, its a tie between that and dookie.
I personally think that Green Day is a great band. I honestly think that they're underrated among most musicians and guitarists simply because they write simple, poppy music, but I think that's what makes them special.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
^ Dude, I totally agree.
And I love feelin' cheap
I downloaded the Green Day / U2 The Saints Are Coming song. Its sooo good.
Yeah, I saw the music video and was amazed. The song is freakin' awesome and is gonna help alot of people. I hope they do alot more like this in the future.

Did you see them perform it at the Superdome? They were phenomenal.
And I love feelin' cheap
yeah i saw them. people say they sucked but i still liked it.
New Topic- Who do you think writes funnier lyrics Billie, Mike, or Tre? Everybody please parrticipate.
And I love feelin' cheap
Trè, no question.

I wanna be your dominated love slave
All By Myself
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
SOSH is pretty good but I think older fans pretend it's their favourite GD album to give themselves some kind of credability over new fans. A lot of the songs on it are ****e. For me Insomniac is the one I listen to most, it's so raw and full of energy.
^ I concur with that. For some reason, having it as your favorite makes you better than a "teenybopper" who likes any of the other albums.

To Goldec and FrenchyFungus- Yep. Tre's pretty funny, I love All By Myself and Like a Rat Does Cheese. Mike and Billie are pretty good too though. Ha Ha You're Dead is hilarous, at least in my mind it is. And Billie has done a ton of stuff, like Brat, The Grouch, and who can forget, King For A Day. Guess it kinda depends what kinda humor you got. But Tre definitely takes the cake for weirdest, laugh-out-loud songs.
And I love feelin' cheap
Don't forget Tre's song about Billie's mom
skruf
general
rignes
eg takkar
I don't think I've heard that one...
What's it called?
And I love feelin' cheap
it's called "song about Billie Joe's mom "and Tre has played it in some concerts. Pretty amusing I tells ya
skruf
general
rignes
eg takkar
Well, that makes sense. I'll have to look it up, sounds funny.
And I love feelin' cheap
hey NERK, was it you who i told that billie leaves his "blue" at home? if it was (or if it wasnt, doesnt matter) he actually got it stolen while on the shenanigans tour (wiki ftw!). i wonder who has it.
Nope, it wasn't me you told, but...
Dude, that sucks. Blue was his favorite guitar. I mean, wasn't it the one his dad gave him right before he died? That's depressing. I can't believe someone would steal something that special to him. They're probably sold it off on the internet. Damn eBay.
And I love feelin' cheap
i listened to kerplunk in its entirety today, i may have made a mistake about what i said about it in the review. i loved it. it was so good.
I haven't heard Kerplunk. Where would you rank it with the other albums?
And I love feelin' cheap
1 nimrod
2 dookie
3 1,039 smoothed out slappy hours
4 american idiot
5 kerplunk
6 warning
7 insomniac

i did that list best i can, but its not acurate.
Wow, cool list. I'm surprised Insomniac and Warning placed so low, they would be in my top three with Nimrod. Interesting....
And I love feelin' cheap
well i liked how nimrod didnt keep a theme to it, it was like lsitening to a bunch of albums at once. dookie had soem of the best classics. ans 1,039 was just a killer disk. but like i said the list wasnt acurate.
Oh, neato. Nimrod is pretty cool like that, unlike the other albums, it seemed like a random selection of songs. Not to mention it had some of the funniest songs I have ever heard.
And I love feelin' cheap
Just thought you guys might wanna know...
I just went and got Dookie! Finally!!! I couldn't find in any of my local stores, but I finally found it, I managed to grab the last one they had at the moment.
And I love feelin' cheap
my local walmart just stocked up on cds, tEh ChRisTmaz iS c0mINg!!!!11111!1!1

i told my friend about walmart having a new image. that they werent gonna wear the blue vests anymore. he's like "the workers are gonna be like "we're not wearing blue vests anymore, we're gonna wear blue sweaters now""

but my walmart had a bunch of green days hit cds out. I still cant find shenanigans!!!
Quote by nerk13
Just thought you guys might wanna know...
I just went and got Dookie! Finally!!! I couldn't find in any of my local stores, but I finally found it, I managed to grab the last one they had at the moment.

Were I live in the cold, cold north in ye olde land of Norway, my local CD shop almost always have the complete selection of Green Day CDs.
Everything from 1039SOSH too AI and BIAB, even(sp?)Foot in mouth and Bowling Bowling, Parking Parking
skruf
general
rignes
eg takkar
foot in mouth and blowling blowling parking parking? those are...?
i was just doing some good image surfing and came across this...
^ that actually looks really cool.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
how come you don't like green day anymore anyway?

EDIT: that must suck to have a band you hate in your username.
Last edited by Musical Meds at Nov 6, 2006,
Quote by Musical Meds
1 nimrod
2 dookie
3 1,039 smoothed out slappy hours
4 american idiot
5 kerplunk
6 warning
7 insomniac

i did that list best i can, but its not acurate.

I'd put it like this:

1. 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours
2. Kerplunk
3. Dookie
4. Nimrod.
5. Insomniac
6. Warning
7. American Idiot

You won't find a bad one, though.
yeah thats what i meant, i couldnt put an album above another without having to make a hard desicion. but i ended up listening to kerplunk, warning, and insomniac this weekend, and i would definatley put them in a different place, but i dont know where...
Quote by Musical Meds
foot in mouth and blowling blowling parking parking? those are...?

Those are live CDs
skruf
general
rignes
eg takkar
That's an awesome guitar. For everyone making a list, here's mine. Although I have to say it's kinda hard to list 'em, I mean each one a bit different than the other.

1. Nimrod
2. Warning
3. Dookie
4. Insomniac
5. American Idiot
6. Shenanigans

I figured International Superhits shouldn't be ranked. They're all pretty awesome, that was hard to do. I'll probably be changing it later, just because it depends what I'm listening to at the time (Dookie, right now). Has anyone checked out that new book that just came out about them by Mark Spitz? I think it's called Nobody Likes You or something like that.
And I love feelin' cheap
shenanigans is a complilation though, not an album. and you gotta listen to the first 2 albums. they guitarwork is pretty sweet on them.

EDIT: just looking back on this thread i am so suprised there has almost never been bitter argument. no genre talk or anything. so far so good.
Last edited by Musical Meds at Nov 7, 2006,