finally, i think i permanately have a band, i've been changing around the order of a band for so long, and everything possible has changed about it except the music we wanna play. now we've all benn playing our instruments for a couple of years, and have never played in a practicing band before , so i need some help. for the most part, we'll be playing classic rock, also some hair metal, covers and originals. so, my first question.
how often is it good to practice a week, we eventually wanna start giging.
secondly, what are some good, energetic, all around fun covers to play that arn't to hard
third, anyone have a good name in mind?
fourth, how would we go about playing a song with keyboard in it, and we have no keyboard player?

thats all i have for now
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
my band practices 4 times a week, as for covers... dont do them.

EDIT: well i guess i cant say dont do them anymore my band has 1 cover but its trollhammaren by finntroll with
a fricken accordian and flute so that was just sweet
Which song has keyboard?

Play it on guitar/learn it on keyboard/leave it out

Depends how important it is in the song.

Something like The Final Countdown just couldn't be done without the keyboard riff, but you could equally well play it on guitar.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by deadmansdiary
as for covers... dont do them

dude, what the hell are you on? Man, every band at least starts with covers. You're not going to get anywhere in your band if you don't have covers. They bring the band together.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
practice at least three times a week, and uh stay away from hair metal, thats one thing most people just dont want to be reminded of, ever. And i cant think of any covers that fit your genre of music short of really cliche ones.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by imdwalrus
dude, what the hell are you on? Man, every band at least starts with covers. You're not going to get anywhere in your band if you don't have covers. They bring the band together.

i know tons of bands that go somewhere without covers
so suck fool

but i think playing a cover for fun once in awhile is alot of fun
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
he's not saying they should become a cover band, hes saying to start getting the band tight for the first month or so they should play together playing covers especially if theyve only been playing their instruments for like 2 years
How often to practice? What is your goal? If you want to make a career out of it (ie. "get signed" sort of thing), then behave like it is a career. Do music full time - everyone in the band. Practice at least 4x per week, and have at least one meeting per week. Spend many hours promoting your career business too, otherwise it will probably fail. If your goal is to have fun with it, then 1-2x a week is plenty. Plug in, play, go home. All good.

Keyboard - answered well enough already.

Covers - What are your goals? You said playing out, but playing *where?* Some places will NOT hire original bands. Some places will NOT hire cover bands. Many bands do mostly covers with a few originals (I'd classify them - as would the bar owners - as cover bands), and many do mostly originals with a few covers. (similarly classified here as original bands.) Want a record deal? Go original. Want to make money? Go covers. Want to play larger clubs with lots of people, but to be able to do so without a record deal? Probably covers. You get the idea.

I think an original band having a couple of covers is a good idea. The audience likes to hear something they know - even if the audience is expecting original music. Which covers? You need to ask yourself who your audience will be. There is NO POINT discussing which covers to throw in until you know who your audience is. AFI, Alan Jackson, AC/DC, and Abba will all appeal to vastly different audiences. I agree with the poster who said that if you are just starting out as musicians (not even just as a band), then covers is a good way to gel. Our band started with originals ONLY, and two years in, are only now starting to talk about covers. (save for a couple of Queen songs we did for a benefit thingy) With us, though, we all had about 20 years experience in bands before even walking into the room together.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by thesumoftwo
he's not saying they should become a cover band, hes saying to start getting the band tight for the first month or so they should play together playing covers especially if theyve only been playing their instruments for like 2 years

ahh, clarity kicks ass.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
Suck my Kiss by the Red Hot Chili Peppers might be a good cover, but for playing publicly you may want to change a couple of the words.

to Chris, what if we just have long, organized practices? i finally just got into a band also and want to take it somewhere, but time does NOT permit for 4 practices a week. usually 1 on fridays, and possibly one on mondays. Is there a chance to be able to work up a couple sets and play at small places, since we are just starting out, with 1-2 practices a week?
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Name your band Ottoman Octopus
For covers, I like doing stuff not everyone will know. Sometimes its good if everyones heard it so it'll get their attention, but idk. Maybe B.O.C. or something?
Quote by 6DgOfInTb

to Chris, what if we just have long, organized practices? i finally just got into a band also and want to take it somewhere, but time does NOT permit for 4 practices a week. usually 1 on fridays, and possibly one on mondays. Is there a chance to be able to work up a couple sets and play at small places, since we are just starting out, with 1-2 practices a week?

For that, sure a couple good practices a week would do it. Can you enjoy a bit of spending money with two good solid shifts per week? You bet. I was painting your "worst-case scenario" by comparing being in a band with having a job. If you want to make a career out of a part-time job, you'll have a tough go of it at best. If you work like the dickens and put in 50-hour weeks, you stand a much better chance.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.