I have no idea how to write a lead over the rythm. I have a riff consisting of powerchords that sounds cool, its simple though. Anyway any GENERAL, vauge, specific help for the lead in any song? Im thinking of hammer ons from B:5 always up to 15 but at 12 I dont hammer on at first I play that note a few times to break the inclining sound, then continue.. Any guidlines anything?
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
You would really benefit by learning theory. I would buy a book on music theory, if you know a little bit of that, it's a ton easier to wright leads for rythm, plus you'll understand how music works.
I'd respond, but I have no respect for someone who thinks Avril is hot.

I'm just kidding, but I don't find her that attractive.

Anyway, the best way is to hear your way through the chord progression. Hear a melody that links the chords. Sing something over it. Add in your little fast bursts of shred later.

Quote by Mcassidy42
You would really benefit by learning theory. I would buy a book on music theory, if you know a little bit of that, it's a ton easier to wright leads for rythm, plus you'll understand how music works.
True dat, but you don't need to buy a book quite yet. [url="
]This should cover the basics, and the helpful members (me, Cor, Deffy, Cas and so on) can answer your questions about that and help you with more advanced stuff.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Sep 14, 2006,
I personally think leads should b something that u hear in ur head. Don't think that running scales is a lead. Learn your scales but don't b afraid to go outside of them (adding chromatic passing tones, notes from other scales in the key if they fit, etc.). Arpeggios can also add a cool vibe to the sound. Harmonies are also a good way to add some light and shade. Remember, all of these things will give you a wider pallette of textures to work with, but it's only you that can come up with that searing lead. I like to listen to the rhythm and relax and clear my mind, then think of something as best as I can to fit inside the chord progression. By the way, knowing the notes of the chords in the rhythm part can also give u an idea of wat will fit. Hope that helps and until then ROCK THE **** ON!!!
aight guys, good advice. espeicaly onthebooks!
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
Ok I read more on cyberfret. And it says to listen to the rythm and think basicly..So I did, but now my new question is: The chords are declining then repeating after while being fast along with percussion doing fast snare for the beat. So should the lead decilne witht he chords? Or be all by itself..i know both works, but if I do it by it self im back 2 square one.
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
it's how you want it to sound. I learned some theory not too long ago, not much, but it's good enough, and trust me, it helps. basically all the advice they gave you ^, is good. learn the notes of the chords could help, learn the key of the song. and use your creativity to go from there. :]