Hey, this is my first post here but I've been lurking about for a while now. Let me preface my question by saying that I've had guitars since I was 15 (I'm now 37) and I still SUCK! I've never really taken the time for lessons but I recently caught the bug again and would really like to be able to jam for my own enjoyment, not looking to join a band at this age. Anyway, without shelling out big bucks for lessons can anyone suggest a good book or DVD or even PC based beginner's guide that would get me started again. Something that covers the basics along with scales and reading tab, basically anything that will help me get good enough to hang out at the local guitar shop and not feel like such a loser. Anyone?
Congratulations on your first post! I find that hanging around UG is a good way to soak up facts, but you won't really learn anything. Try lessons, because they will help you improve. At least take them for a little while.
Yeah, I've learned more on here in a few months than I ever learned back in high school or college trying to learn from tab books. Has anyone ever heard of Jamorama lessons? I saw some good reviews on the web for it. Doesn't cost too much and looks pretty engaging.

BTW-I want to be able to play stuff like Coheed and Cambria or A7X.
If you/your parents/whoever can afford lessons, GO FOR IT.

They will make you a better player in the long run.

If not, don't worry about it, Hendrix never took any lessons, and look how far he got, same with Jack White and MANY other musicians (includng me)
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
A great book for the theory side of guitar playing is "Harmony and Theory" by Keith Wyatt and some other guy. Published by Hal Leonard company I think.

I got it about a month ago for my 15th and it's great. I learnt loads about theory in the first few pages!

Also some of the lessons on UG are great for exercises, get yourself on the lessons part and click the top lessons part and select the one you think you suck at the most.
Bulldog, I'm in the same boat as you. Started guitar when very young, and about 20 years later realized that I was nowhere close to where I wanted to be. I think I put about 1 good year of effort into it at the beginning, and the rest of the time I was just playing at that level.

I decided to start over from the beginning. It came down to either a real live teacher or a good electronic form of instruction. The electronic form won out because I just wanted to do my learning late at night after work and kids in bed, etc. Seemed to be the most convienient.

After a couple of weeks of research it came down between:
- Jamorama ( http://www.jamorama.com/ ) "Software based"
- Learn & Master Guitar ( http://www.learnandmasterguitar.com/ ) "DVD, CD based"
- Workshoplive ( http://www.workshoplive.com/ ) "Internet based"

I managed to get a free 7-day trial of Workshoplive, and let me say off the bat that it is excellent. I wrote up a short review in this thread so I won't repeat it all here (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432277). Why don't you write them and ask for a trial?

I decided on getting L&M over Jamorama as it was DVD based and not mainly software based. I wanted to be able to listen and watch an instructor. So far, I have to say that although it was far more expensive than I planned on paying, it is a great course that does teach you to read music (which is something I felt was required for me to progress).

I'm a month into L&M Guitar so far and I feel it was worth it.

I think you would be OK with any of these selections, though. Jamorama is probably the most bang for the buck.
Aah, I don't know about Jamorama, bangs, and bucks. I ordered it two days ago, after reading a few reviews. I suspect the reviews were bought & paid for, because they repeated one key claim (made by the author of Jamorama) that I now know is not true. Simply, it is NOT a complete course of guitar studies. Jamorama teaches chord progressions and not much more.

Now, I can't read music and I do not know my chords. Like some of you, I've screwed around with the guitar for years without learning anything meaningful. I'm going to learn a lot with Jamorama, because of where I am in the continuum. Hell, I only paid $40, and that's less than a couple lessons with a live teacher. Jamorama has nice videos and audio tracks, good enough to teach anyone the basics. But it's not going to teach me to solo on top of a simple blues shuffle--nothing like that is part of the program. Jamorama is really just chord progressions and nothing more. Don't get it if you already know your chord progressions. If you don't know the chord progressions, it's worth the $40 -- again, it will cost much more to have a live teacher teach you the same material.

Apparently, there is a "new" product called Jamorama Lead or some such nonsense. Existing customers are pretty pissed that it's not just part of the existing package -- you know, the one that promised to be a "complete" course of instruction. The author is avoiding these complaints, and I think that speaks volumes about his character and intentions.

Back in the 80's, a guy named Jim Gleason had a rather complete package of instruction. Problem was, it was put together on a shoestring and poorly organized. But if you had the discipline to follow the course (apparently I didn't), you'd learn the whole shebang. He's still in business at RPM Guitar Instruction. The program has a lot more stuff than it used to have. I don't know how much he's updated & revised the product. But I'm sure he's not printing it off on dot matrix printer, anymore.

There's also Metal Method, which has been around since the 80's, as well. It's definitely geared toward rockers. Back in the day, his materials left a lot to be desired, but he's obviously come a long way since then. I'd like to hear from someone who has used the new stuff.

Lean & Master Guitar sounds great, but reviews can be purchased. I wouldn't shell out that kind of cash without talking to real people who have used it successfully.

This is from the "affiliate" section of the Learn & Master Guitar web site:

"By recommending Learn & Master Guitar to your website visitors, you can earn generous commissions on every sale we get from traffic you direct to us. As the leader in in-depth video training, you can recommend Legacy Learning Products with total confidence.

You will earn $75 for each sale of L&M Guitar, Deluxe Version and $50 for each sale of the Video-Only Version. (Nearly all of our customers purchase the Deluxe.) Simply click here to sign up. Once you're approved (usually within a few days) we'll email you a uniquely coded link that you can use to refer visitors to our site. Our cookie-based tracking system makes sure you get paid for every sale you generate, even if they don't actually buy anything until months or even years later! Commissions are tracked automatically, reported instantly, and paid monthly.

Sign up today and begin earning extra revenue while bringing your website visitors the very best in home-based guitar training!"

I'm sure a lot of programs do this same thing. But it does go to show how "reviews" can be motivated by sales kickbacks. So, I'd rather hear from real people who have used these products. You obviously can't get an honest picture from a slick web-based "review."

Peace.
Last edited by teh roxxors at Dec 25, 2006,