so im a guitar player but sometimes if me and my friends and i are jamming and they all want to solo and show off, ill get on the bass. i can follow along with the roots and sometimes i can add some extra stuff depending on the song. so im wondering what are some good scales for bass so that i can play like walking bass lines or just put in little runs. would chromatics be good? im a guitar player so the scales i know are like pentatonics and modes. not really any fancy scales. i play blues so i dont really need more than that.
i play guitar mainly too, but i know blues scales sound sexy on bass
Schecter C-1+
Fender FM212R
Boss MD-2
A shitload of other pedals I never use.

Quote by Nelsean
I swallowed a marble when I was 8. I pooped it out in the same day too.

Quote by stringmagician
Only funny thing in this whole thread.
The minor scale owns... I think it's the arabic scale, or I've heard some say Gypsy scale, whichever... it's a neat scale, chromatic scale, pentatonic, spanish 8-tone.

and chromatics are fun too.

and learn chord tones if you don't know them already.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
The chromatic scale contains every single note on the guitar, so I don't think that'll help much.

That said, you won't survive unless you know the minor pentatonic scale (aka the blues scale). It's as basic and important as they come.
Schecter Custom 4
Gibson SG Special Faded
Fender Classical Acoustic
try this for 12 bar blues. its a basic walking bass line. this is in A, but u can move the same pattern anywhere on the E string. heaps fun to play too.

G---------------------------
D---------4-5-4-----------
A----4-7---------7-4------
E--5-------------------5--- x2

G---------4-5-4-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D----4-7---------7-4----------4-5-4--------------6-9-6-----4-7-4----------4-5-4-------------
A--5-----------------------4-7----------7-4-----7----------5-------------4-7--------7-4--------
E------------------------5------------------------------------------------5-------------------5-----