creat a riff, build around that....theres many ways

Im doing rythm first, then percussion. Then adding the lead. Bass last
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
Every man/woman, has his/her own ways.
some people just write a tune and building the lyrics around it, and some go the opposite way, writing lyrics and making up a melody for the, than building chords/whatever around them. depends on totally what suits you better.
...And The Nominees Are
I find it easier to make a chord progression and then move from there.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
I just play around then find out what scale I am using, then build around that first part, but everyone is different
I have trouble with songwriting too.. Today tho I made a cool riff and then stuff just came to me after that. once you have a riff to build off, you can fill in the rest pretty easily. Goof off w/ scales.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Make a riff
Make up a chord progression for the same key as the riff

OR VICE VERSA

Write some lyrics for the riff/chord progression you wrote.
i usually noodle around till i find a good intro, or a good hook, or basically the "unique" part of the song, and then I apply riffs, progressions, solos, etc... the more music theory you know, the faster that process gets.
Think about what you are trying to express in the song before anything else i rekon.
Member#8 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chilli Peppers UG fanclub. PM IpodInaBottle to join
Depends! All the above approaches are individual ways of doing this. For me, it depends if you have the lyrics or the chords first. Finding the chords is easy enough, grab an acoustic or stick it on clean and play about in a key until you find something you like. Play the chords in different positions, experiment with different extensions.

I prefer to build songs around chords than around a riff, but at the end of the day - the process is fairly similar, you are identifying a key and then building up.
C
Quote by frigginjerk
i usually noodle around till i find a good intro, or a good hook, or basically the "unique" part of the song, and then I apply riffs, progressions, solos, etc... the more music theory you know, the faster that process gets.

+1.

I like to call that hook the "germ" of the song. A fully complete piece - even if only a couple of seconds or so long - that can begin to take on a life of its own by spreading. Keep building. Maybe the germ will spread and become the chorus. Then where can it go? Maybe you'll like what comes next better enough that your initial germ-chorus becomes a verse instead, and the new idea becomes the chorus. If it is allowed to spread freely within an organized structure, you will wind up with a cohesive piece of music rather than a bunch of parts that sound like they were hammered together willy-nilly and crammed awkwardly into your box called song. We've all heard one or two too many of *those.*

Now that.... is usually strictly the lyrics and melody. At least the melody for me. I can write lyrics I hate for now just to help me flesh out the melody, and then tap in proper lyrics in place of the old ones. As I flesh out my working melody, I figure out which chords go with it. Once my harmonic structure is nailed down, I can think of how I want to present it - whether it be riffs, chords, or combinations thereof.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.