i sound like a douche here but what is a floyd rose? I here people talking about it and im kinda leaning towards it has something to do with harder music and metal. Not sure though. Help please.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
i sound like a douche here but what is a floyd rose? I here people talking about it and im kinda leaning towards it has something to do with harder music and metal. Not sure though. Help please.

Don't worry about it - everyone needs to start somewhere (How else will you learn apart from asking?)

A floyd rose is a tremelo system for guitar. It can be used for any type of music as its essentially still only a tremelo. Although lots of metal guys do use them. (If you dont know what a trem is - its a moveable bridge with a whammy bar that allows you to bend you strings with the bridge for solos etc.)

There are two types of FL. Theres the liscenced FL and the Original FL (There may be more, but I dont know of them) Liscenced FL - LFR - are FL's that are made by a guitar company using the patents from the FL company. As a general rule - there are not as good as the Original FL - OFL. Like Ibanez will have a LFR, jackosn will have a LFR etc.

Run a google image search on it - you'll see....

If you want a tremelo the OFR are a good way to go - but the LFR can be hit and miss.... I dont know exactly which LFRs are good and bad, but surely someone on UG will be able to help. Otherwise just go a fixed bridge.

Hope that helped,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Last edited by danastasi at Sep 14, 2006,
Quote by HyperOlaf
Whats the exact difference between a OFL and a LFR?

Well its kinda like comparing a Jackson RR with a cheap RR rip off by a no name brand...

The LFR are no where near as good as the OFR......

Same function but the construction is poor, poorer materials - essentially the same but of cheaper quality..... I've heard more tends to go wrong with them as well....

Hope that helped

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
mmm i should help point out the fact that LFR are a two side story there are the good LFR and the 'dont touch with a ten foot pole' type. mainly good LFR's are the schaller, high end gotohs, kahler, ibanez edge, ibanez edge pro, ibanez lo-pro edge and there are some more. but easy way to think about it is that if its on a low end guitar then its going to be a low end trem
Quote by azn_guitarist25
mmm i should help point out the fact that LFR are a two side story there are the good LFR and the 'dont touch with a ten foot pole' type. mainly good LFR's are the schaller, high end gotohs, kahler, ibanez edge, ibanez edge pro, ibanez lo-pro edge and there are some more. but easy way to think about it is that if its on a low end guitar then its going to be a low end trem

Exactly!

Well put azn

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
no probs mate just thought i should point that out. fark we should create a massive floyd rose thread dedicated to these types of questions
Quote by azn_guitarist25

+140, 000, 000, 000

some of the "good" licensed FR's are better than an OFR.

but the poor LFR's, you don't want to go near, they won't hold tune after about 3 months.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry to hijack a thread, but seeing as there was already a thread on trems...

Can a kahler also increase pitch?
I'm back. No-one knew I left anyway. Do you even know who I am?
^ yeah. (if it's routed for it, presumably)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
good idea we should make a Floyd Rose questions and answers thread or somethin like that
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3