I know all the advantages of all the gauges and was going to go with 11s over 10s because of them. 11s beat 10s at tuning, tone, and less breakage. 10s are oviously better for bending but what about the other aspects of playing? i have been switching from 2 guitars trying to figure out what it is, somehow i just can tell if i can play faster on 10s than 11s, but i feel something going on with my speed. Anyways... do you guys think that the more bendable loose 10s which allow for more speed that a tighter gauge? 10s are definetly easier to bend and less tough on the hands but yeah.. what about the speed? hope to here everyone opinion.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
thicker strings cuz great for bends and pinched harmoix if you just play rythm go lower
Dimebag Is God!!!!

President Of The Official Dimebag Darrell Fan Club
PM Me to Join

Member #28 of the Official Alkaline Trio Fan Club. PM greenfinger182 to join.
Wow...someone cant use punctuation...*Coughinnocentvictimcough*
Anyway, I say go with whatever is more comfortable, personally I can play as fast with either 10 or 11s (Or at least any change isnt noticeable).
I Use bending alot in my playing...and I mean alot in a noticable manner, and I think that the 11's arent much harder to bend (I have 10's on one of my guitars and 11 on my other...which I use less).
Still...go with whatever your instinct tells you after trying it a bit more, maybe you'll actually catch onto what the difference is in playing between the 2...
(Honestly, I dont have a definate answer for you, this is just my opinion)
Quote by SilentDeftone
Of course it's real, just like everything else you see on TV.

Quote by HorridxHopes
By far the most mathematical post ever on UG.

I am quite the mathmatician...not..

Me playing guitar...or is it?!?!?!
Ok, thanks. anyone else think that their would be a noticable difference in speed between 10s and 11s. Since 10s are easier to bend, mybe that makes it easier to play faster if u do alot of bends?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
in my opinion (as a lead player)

9s=standard tuning
10s= half step down
11s= a step down

any more steps down you should quit playin nu metal
11s are good for tremolo picking and sweeps, in my opinion.

I stick with hybrid 9's though.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
i personally play rythum and never really do bends over 1/2 step so i use the 11's, but i doubt i could bend a 11 string for over a full note with my noobness and the fact that it's much harder

lead is a whole different story

it's all personal prefrence to me tho, some people will love 11's for soloing, some will love 9's and 8's..no one can really tell you what's right