Hey me and two friends just started a band (i play rythym), we play mostly metal hard rock, blues, and some psychedelic stuff, but the problem is me and my friend John (voacals/lead) play guitar and our buddy Sam plays drums, so my question is will it sound alright with out a bassist? My friend John seems to think so but im not sure. Does anybody know of any bands without a bassist, or is it just a required instrument?
It's definitely do-able without a bassist, but it would sound 5 times better with one.
it the ONLY crucial instrument... you should switch to bass
the white stripes sounded like **** without bass... and the Black keys..
bass holds the band together young one...
Between the bass and the drums is where the soul comes from.

It would most likely sound 10x better with a bassist.

Now, im not entirely sure because i havn't heard you play, but most of the time bass is essential.
see theres only like 5 bassists at our school, and their all in bands so we just decided to give my rythym a really bassy low ended sound and johns lead a more trebled higher pitch sound, so in theory i suppose it could work
Quote by Latin_Morello
it the ONLY crucial instrument... you should switch to bass
the white stripes sounded like **** without bass... and the Black keys..
bass holds the band together young one...

Eh, sorry, but bass is just not the the crucial instrument.

It's got to be drums or guitar.

The White Stripes sound absolutely fine to me (and to several million other people).

...And Justice for All has inaudible bass, and yet that album is a materpiece.
hell- just try it dude. if it sucks, get a bassist.
Schecter C-1+
Fender FM212R
Boss MD-2
A shitload of other pedals I never use.

Quote by Nelsean
I swallowed a marble when I was 8. I pooped it out in the same day too.

Quote by stringmagician
Only funny thing in this whole thread.
Quote by rock_and_blues
see theres only like 5 bassists at our school, and their all in bands

i had the same problem so I taught my 10 year old neighbor to play bass. no joke. hes getting pretty good.
I find the personality of a bass really necessary, but hell, if you must insist, I have two words for you- The Doors
...And The Nominees Are
well you dont have to have a bassist, but like many have said it will probably sound a lot better with one, many country groups just use a rythm guitar player, then again, thats country and you arent going for that sound, the Doors didnt have a bass player, however the keyboard filled that role on many of the songs.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well you dont have to have a bassist, but like many have said it will probably sound a lot better with one, many country groups just use a rythm guitar player, then again, thats country and you arent going for that sound, the Doors didnt have a bass player, however the keyboard filled that role on many of the songs.

What country band doesn't have a bassist?! I live in Texas, and trust me, you will not see a country band without a bassist unless it's an acoustic set. Most country songs have a bassline.

I would say that you are setting yourself up for people blasting you for not having a bass player, and there is a difference between a chunky guitar sound and a bass.

I'm glad that you pointed out the Doors had a keyboard player.
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
Quote by socialtool
What country band doesn't have a bassist?! I live in Texas, and trust me, you will not see a country band without a bassist unless it's an acoustic set. Most country songs have a bassline.

I would say that you are setting yourself up for people blasting you for not having a bass player, and there is a difference between a chunky guitar sound and a bass.

I'm glad that you pointed out the Doors had a keyboard player.

ive seen a couple of more bluegrass oriented country bands that didnt have bassists, but you're right its fairly uncommon, especially with more blues oriented country.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by S2S
It's definitely do-able without a bassist, but it would sound 5 times better with one.

+1, bass isn't necessary, but they definitely help fill out the sound.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Yeah i have the same problem, my band needs a bassist... and a drummer. We haven't started playing yet but we'll suck with just me and a keyboardist. And I'm a crappy guitar player so we're not looking like we're going to be that good... oh well It's just for fun. But back to your problem a bass player or something to play the basslines will make it sound sooooo much better. I like 4string-tsurigi's idea about the tuba that would be awesome!
"Works of art are never finished, they are just simply abandoned"
Bass is most definitly not nessacary. But what bass does is add a definition to the sound, and patches things together. Its better you had a bassist, but if you cant find one, hell, go kick ass anyway.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by jagstang270
I find the personality of a bass really necessary, but hell, if you must insist, I have two words for you- The Doors

They had a keyboardist who could handle the low end.

If you're playing metal/hard rock/blues, then get a bassist. Those are genres that rely heavily on the low end instruments.

Is bass necessary? No, but neither is any other instrument.
I dont have a bassist, just me and my drummer.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

White stripes used a octave double as thier bass. Everything he plays is doubled an octave down. Live that is. It can be done without one but it has horrible sound. Bass fills out everything.
I havent really had any luck with bassists myself. IF your serious about your music and really want to start gigging, youll probly need one, but if your just jaming for the hell of it your fine.
in most music, you have a range of sounds, most choirs have different voices, commonly soprano, alto, tenor, and bass (there are others of course like bariton, but we won't get into that) But there are contabula choirs (spelling is wrong sorry) which are only soprano and alto. At any rate, drums and bass are typically the rythm section in your band, so to see that, its like having no real connection between the guitarists and the drums, but it is doable. I would suppose get an octave pedal to experiment with, or you rythm guy switch to bass, or get a bassists, it really will help. It can fill in the gap. But most of all just have a blast. peace,
~Batman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
Quote by Lost Hippie
White stripes used a octave double as thier bass. Everything he plays is doubled an octave down. Live that is. It can be done without one but it has horrible sound. Bass fills out everything.

that's only for a few songs, really. For most of the show, they go without a bass sound.
well.. theres a guy in a different thread that has two basses to deal with, why dont you ask if you can steal one?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
have u ever jammed with a drummer? and the drummers GOOD?
if you were a bassist and u jammed with a drummer you find that it just "conects" so much more easier than a guitar because the kick goes with the bass notes, they go together. a guitarist does lala melodies in my opinion bass is something that is too underated, this coming from a guy who says, guitars better than bass coz i can shred. so yeah bass + drums = natural
.......octave pedal??? i mean sometimes you can't get a bass player. and if you have lyrics, a drum beat and great riffs than a bass player might even have a negative impact in your creative process if your forced to get one. rather establish the band, double things with an octave pedal to make the sound more mainstream and acceptable and then get a bass player to join the band at a later date.
Marty
Bass is most definitley not essential. Just look at Blind Guardian.

It can be done. But try to get a bassist.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
It's not necessary at all. My band was around for a while before we added our bassist and we sounded just fine. Although what works best is have 2 barritone guitars (like the rattraps or king khan and bbq show)
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Guster doesnt have a bassist.
Dispatch didnt have bass in all their songs.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!