OK i ask a lot of quesions but i need the theory to make me content in life!

What is the best way to memorise triads-by soecific notes eg C,E,G in C Major or by generic intervals (or both)

And:-who do you determine what scales to play in a certain key-ie what theoretically determines why you play Aminor Pentatonic in Aminor...what other scales could you use eg Hungarian Gypsy scale!
just play for a week in nothing but each of those keys at a time, and practice for a while jamming on triads every day

and another really creative thing to do over A minor is C major
Quote by K10P
ugh anyone else

what's your problem, asshole? he tries to help and you go "uh..next"
YEAH I'M STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON, FOO!
I think intervals are the way to go, 1 3 5 etc

A minor pentatonic is made up of 5 notes from A minor. The notes in the scale are the notes in the key so it fits nicely without clashing. If you played a C# it would clash with the natural C in A minor. So basically you play a scale that is diatonic with the key and then go from there, using your ear to tell what sounds good and what sounds bad.

Hope you find this helpful along with roonman93's good advice
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
i need to know what scales i can use in a certain key-eg a minor-what are all the most common scales you could use
Well, in the major scale, you can use modes, which is basically when you take the notes of that major scale and start them at different points.

In C major, the modes are:

C major (Ionian) (C D E F G A B C)
D Dorian (D E F G A B C D)
E Phrygian(E F G A B C D E)
F Lydian (F G A B C D E F)
G Mixolydian (G A B C D E F G)
A Minor (Aeolian) (A B C D E F G A)
B Locrian (B C D E F G A B)

Every major scale follws that mode pattern.

Does that help?
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Sep 15, 2006,
To memorize the triads, memorize the scales. You need to know scales anyway so why not . Then, just take the 1-3-5 for major, 1-b3-5 for minor, 1-b3-b5 for diminished, and 1-3-#5 for augmented.

Also, Hungarian Gypsy, it's just a little gimmick scale, It doesn't really fit into any key, because I've broken it down, and the notes change. For example, I'm pretty sure the octave is flatted . Anyways, it's fun to play around with, but IMO, won't get you very far.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Well, in the major scale, you can use modes, which is basically when you take the notes of that major scale and start them at different points.

In C major, the modes are:

C major (Ionian) (C D E F G A B C)
D Dorian (D E F G A B C D)
E Phrygian(E F G A B C D E)
F Lydian (F G A B C D E F)
G Mixolydian (G A B C D E F G)
A Minor (Aeolian) (A B C D E F G A)
B Locrian (B C D E F G A B)

Every major scale follws that mode pattern.

Does that help?

Yeah-but what about also like the japanese scale and the whole tone scale etc. If you were to do this would you just pick the notes that are in C major and discard the resr/or go out of the key?
Well you could remember the whole step half step pattern of each scale, or you can get the scale forumla. Here's a good sire for getting them Lots of scales too. http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

just out of curiosity-does the chord function on that webpage show you the most appropriate version of a scale pattern??. Thats really useful
Basically, it shows you the notes of the scale. So if under chords you put C it shows you the C version of that scale.

But patterns seem to limit people. Take the minor pentatonic for example. Lots of people tend to get "stuck in the box".

And remember, you can edit your post instead of double posting