Well I started playing back in January, and still can't seem to strum and sing at the same time, I end up strumming with my words, like each syllable is 1 strum, it's really quite annoying but I honestly can't do it. I'd love to be able to, anyone have any advice?
do it more and more everything is practice sadly...
Cort G290 EMG 89/SA/SA
Cort MR 780FX

#19 Member of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Group. PM Narmi.

Founder of the "Cort Domination Group"
yeah...i have the exact same problem. Im trying to practice and stuff but its just hard. practice sucks lol
Well I love practicing, just dont love singing I play guitar like ALL the time, so I guess I'll just practice more, I thought that singing with it was like super basic though ~_~
ive been playing for about 10 months. i am probably the worlds worst singer, it may be completly out of tune but atleast its in time!! what i tend to do is play along with the song im learning on my mp3 player, then when ive nailed it i do it again but try singing along with it, i get as far as i can without cocking up, then as soon as i do, i rewind and start again until i can do the whole song without any **** ups. this may take several evenings. then once i can play and sing along with it ive cracked it and dont need the mp3 player anymore. once you have done a couple, it gets easyer and easyer.
just takes a little practice and a little time, i got my acoustic for christmas this year and after about a month i can sing and strum in time
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

The thing is that you're trying to concentrate on both singing and playing guitar. Practice one of them or both of them enough so that you don't have to think about it. So you can either think about the singing, and just automatically strum, or the other way around, or just practice enough to not have to think about either.
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
Quote by Nyne
The thing is that you're trying to concentrate on both singing and playing guitar. Practice one of them or both of them enough so that you don't have to think about it. So you can either think about the singing, and just automatically strum, or the other way around, or just practice enough to not have to think about either.

I've got it down now, only took like 1 actual time of trying, now it comes easy. And once I had the strumming and singing down, I can actual play riffs and sing now also, your right, you just have to not THINK about what your doing, and not try to hard, and it just works, thanks!
Dont try and force it, once you are comfortable with the guitar part, and your familiar with the song you should be fine. Also when i have a mic in front of me i play much better cuz you actually heard yourself. It comes naturaly with good long pracitce and time behind your belt.
i also have bad trouble with this but i'm told if you try and whistle the words while your strumming first it's a lot easier
apparently trying to remember the actual words of the song is what makes it difficult??

...however i'm still working on it!
Gung-ho Mofo
i was mad because about a year ago i tried singing and playing and i couldnt do it. i didn't do it much for a while but about 6 months ago i started and it has become really easy. the trick is to be able to play the song without having to look at your guitar i find. also, you have to know the words pretty well or it can be tricky. i find playing with the song at first helps. just do that as long as you have to. also looking at the lyrics helps things flow a little better if your struggling at first.
I guess i'm lucky, as soon as i started singing I could play guitar and sing at the same time with no difficulty whatsoever.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Try simplifying the rhythm first and sing over, For example just strum the chord once and at every chord change to build up a basic song structure which you can sing (or hum if thats difficult) over. Then build up the rhythm with, say, repetitive downstrokes and continue until you can play the actual song and sing.
play the guitar bit til u can play it with your eyes closed with no effort at all, then u can sing at the same time
try easy songs that do one chord a word or line... i recommend:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/linkin_park/numb_acoustic_crd.htm
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/g/goo_goo_dolls/iris_ver5_crd.htm
those were the first acoustic songs i learned and theyre pretty easy
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
and once you can do those well try moving on to some old greenday songs like Brainstew, that ones pretty easy
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
Practice is the best advice. Though I first learned to sing and play at the sametime by simply harmonizing with what ever chord it was I played.. example, like when playing A I would practice by strumming out an A chord and just speaking out loud "Ayeeee" then changed it up to stumming a G and along with that saying out loud "Geeeeeeee"

Was something a friend taught me and it worked well for me in building up my singing chops.
my gear:
Applause GTX model AR22TR (guitar)
GoldTone Elektrick EBT (elektrick banjo)
Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass
Crappy Fender "frontman" amp
Bubble-gum and assorted candy
Quote by Metallica12_12
do it more and more everything is practice sadly...

Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help