I go to my guitar teacher every week for a half hour which isn't very long, usually we just talk about stuff that I have questions about and then we figure out the tab to a song I like.

I kinda get tired from this, what would you guys prupose is a good thing to ask him or learn, thats not a song?

I feel like I'm not really learning much but the song
Scales brotha, scales!

How bout ear training?
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
yeah, scales...if you dont know it already, music theory. Cuz if you know theory you can figure the songs out yourself and not pay himto do it for you
I have the same problem sort of, but when i ask my teacher my teacher about music theory he says it isnt neccesary, is that bad?
lol thats kinda like my teacher

he doesnt really say its bad,
hes just like "wellllll we can learn some scales if you want to but there realllly boring"

lol not that I have a problem with him, he rocks so good
he is obviously inexperienced and demotivated or doesnt care. I used to just go through whole songs but now teach scales-exercises-song revison-basics of music theory/reading-new song-ear training-imrov and jamming
Quote by AcidYoshi
I go to my guitar teacher every week for a half hour which isn't very long, usually we just talk about stuff that I have questions about and then we figure out the tab to a song I like.

I kinda get tired from this, what would you guys prupose is a good thing to ask him or learn, thats not a song?

I feel like I'm not really learning much but the song

Yeah my teacher is the same way. next guitar lesson im asking him to teach me scales.
Quote by AcidYoshi
lol thats kinda like my teacher

he doesnt really say its bad,
hes just like "wellllll we can learn some scales if you want to but there realllly boring"

lol not that I have a problem with him, he rocks so good

He's not a very good teacher. I've been playing for about a little under 5 months now, and I can say that scales help A WHOLE FREAKIN' LOT in the beginning stages. Reminds me of my friends little brother, who has been playing about as long as I have, his teacher really only teaches him songs, and I am light years ahead of him. Trust me, learn your basics to the point where they can't be learned no more!
Ibanez SA160 electric

Old Ventura Classical
Quote by metalupurass42
Yeah my teacher is the same way. next guitar lesson im asking him to teach me scales.

you might get more than you bargained for-he might get pissed at you and start talking about Pitch axis Theory. Should be a little bit of everything.
various things-train to hear the sound of an interval-or play a sinple melody and you repeat-check out musictheory.net -there are games you can try yourself.
Theory, scales, all the other stuff these guys mentioned. My first teacher only taught me songs and regret not dropping him sooner, and waiting so long to get a teacher that will teach theory. The basics may be boring, but thats the only way you can really learn how to play.
Any teacher that doesn't want to show you scales should be fired. Find yourself a new teacher. Things to ask about working on: theory, scales, rhythm and timing, reading music, technique, and improv.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
walk up to your teacher tomorrow and say..."scales". sit down and dont say a word... he will teach you scales.
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER