Ok so my band is about to buy a PA, but we have no idea where to start. We are a four piece, one bass one drum, one guitar, and vox, bass amp is about 175 watt and guitar amp is 185 watt. we are looking to mic the drums and the have two mics for vox, mostly for practice and small gigs, what do you recomend?
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Quote by rhoads4ever
Ok so my band is about to buy a PA, but we have no idea where to start. We are a four piece, one bass one drum, one guitar, and vox, bass amp is about 175 watt and guitar amp is 185 watt. we are looking to mic the drums and the have two mics for vox, mostly for practice and small gigs, what do you recomend?

First of all, do the places where you will be playing have a P.A.? Secondly, the wattage of the amps really won't matter if you plan on micing them, which you will do at a show with a P.A. system. You probably don't need to mic the drums or anything other than vocals during practice because you are most likely in a small space, and if you are micing them because you can't hear your drummer over the amps... turn them down. As for what you need, you don't really want to over buy because you are just spending money on something you will never use. If you can go to your local shop and see if they will let you use the P.A. for a practice and see if you like it or if you want something else. Alot of smaller shops will let you do this, especially if it is not on consignment.
Our PA consists of a cheap set of speakers, 12" woofers, 1.5" horns, from ebay, 170 bucks AU including postage, borrowed an old yamaha 230W per channel amp from a mate, and a phonic mixin board for 110 bucks brand new. Not heaps of inputs but for practice and garage gigs, even open air, this is fine. If you play pubs, lots of em will have a house PA anyway. You dont need to spend a fortune on a PA.
90% of places that need a PA will have one, and the others i can almost gurantee that one of the other bands playing will have a PA, consider if you really need one first.