i need to learn how to read notation relative to the guitar it would help me so much with my music theory class if i could somebody please help me.
well, there's a method that my current instructor uses...learn the notes on sheet music relative to the fretboard three notes at a time...for example, i would start with the 1st string with just the notes E, F, and G...note where those exact pitches are located on the staff...then, rearrange the notes in patterns and practice sight reading and rhyhtms...you'll have to work slowly, and it may take a while to work up the neck...from there move to the next string and try the notes B, C, and D etc...also, once you have all the notes in open position down, try sight reading and playing in different positions and octaves...from there you can use different keys to utilize accidentals and such...also use this method with chord sight reading as well
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
i would suggest using one of the guitar method books by melbay. emusictheory.com also has some sheet music guitar drills
As someone who can read sheet music SLOWLY, take my advice with a pinch of salt. I know everything I say is correct, but someone with more experience will explain it more/better.

Each line or space on a musical stave (The thing with lines and spaces : easch line or space s representative of a note name.

IE: the bottom line is E, the space above it is F, the line above it (which the funny symbol(A clef) at the start wraps around) is G etc.

At the very start of the sheet music is the key signature. This tells you what key you are playing in.

Refer to this lesson if you haven't a clue what I'm speaking about.

After reading the key signature, you'll know which notes are flattened/sharpened normally.

After that, it's just a case of learning which line/space is which note.

As usual, I'm not sober, so ask if that didn't make enough sense.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
The notes of the staff look like this:

--------F-------
E
--------D-------
C
--------B-------
A
--------G-------
F
--------E-------

This can be remembered as:

--------F[size="1"]ine[/SIZE]-------
E
--------D[size="1"]oes[/SIZE]-------
C
--------B[size="1"]oy[/SIZE]-------
A
--------G[size="1"]ood[/SIZE]-------
F
--------E[size="1"]very[/SIZE]-------

The notes on the lines cen be remembered as "Every Good Boy Does Fine" and the notes in the spaces between the lines can be remembered as "FACE in the space"