Right, I bought a beat up old Jackson/Charvel on the cheap as a first project to do up nicely as it already had the pink Steve Vai pickups in it and a lovely neck. From first impression all the damage was just superficial, but when I stripped it all down there's a bit of a problem. Although the guitar has two humbuckers with a single coil middle, it didn't start off life like that, the neck cavity has been converted from a single to a hum slot. And it's been done really, really badly. Like blind man with a hammer and chisel badly. The damage is bad enough that it's gone into the screw holes for the pickup surround. Now I was thinking that I could smooth off the damage and get a slightly larger pickup surround (like there is on the bridge) and drill new holes for it, but the lower face of the cavity is really badly damaged, big chunks missing, and it might not come out smooth even if I sand it to the right size for the larger surround. I was wondering if there was any way of filling these in effectively and cheaply...
You can definitely just fill it up with a wood block.
You'd make the pickup cavity into the most uniform shape like a rectangle or somehting, then cut out a piece of filler wood into that shape and put it in there.
Then sand it flush until it matches the body.

This will however, recquire you to redo the finish.

There's tutorials out there, I'm just not sure where...

EDIT: Actually, take pictures of the bad cavity. That'll help us help you.
Ah but could I then rout the cavity again with the block in there? I would have thought it'd all come apart again. Went to the local guitar shop today, was recommended to cut a block to the size required to fit the pickup in then wood putty in any gaps left. Anyway, photos of the offending orifice:

(Click them for a bigger shot)

As you can see, it's not in the greatest nick.. I'm not too bothered about the bottom of the cavity but I'd like to sort the side out incase it starts to split between there and the middle slot (which I'm filling up anyway). Sorry for the generally poor picture quality, it seems a digital camera has a hard time focussing on holes

Edit: I'm actually stripping it down to the wood anyway so I'm not bothered about anything that requires re-finishing.
Oh yeah, of course you could rout it again.
See, ya cut the cavity so it's a perfect shape, and fit the wood block to that as best as possible. Then you use wood glue...I dunno, I'm not really sure of the brand, other people here have done it before, to convert single coil cavities to humbucker, etc.
Anyway, after it dries and is sanded flush, yeah, you definitely can rout it again.

Hehe. orifice.
definately just get a block of wood, stick it in there, glue it in nice n snug, let it set, and then route it or get someone to route it for you

and that cavity! eurgh, my god.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
and that cavity! eurgh, my god.

Seriously. Who'd you get it from? Mistreatment and abuse of guitars, sheesh.
Haha, ironically from a guy who has a reputation for taking care of his guitars It's a shame considering it's a classic, but hopefully I'll have it looking back to its best in the end.

It is awfully badly routed, the guy I talked to at the guitar shop said it had probably been done with a blunt one, haha. One question though, I do have access to a router, though it's primarily used for metal, would I be alright using it for wood, or do I need to change the tool or something? The guy who owns it doesn't know.

Thanks for your help btw guys.
A metal router? Strange....I guess if you buy the right bits for it, you should be right.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Yeah it's at the place I worked over the summer, they manufacture valves for the oil industry. They've got all sorts of awesome stuff in the workshop but it's all geared to being used on metal. I'll have a word with the guy who runs it, he ought to know most about it..