Hi guys, I'm a guitar player that's just starting to learn bass. I have an old beat-up yamaha that I've been learning on, and I just got an offer to play with a band - so I obviously need something better now.

These are the one's I'm interested in:
  • Epiphone Les Paul Standard Bass
  • Epiphone EB-3
  • ESP Viper 404
  • Ibanez Sound Gear SR300

The band plays a lot of classic rock / hard rock songs.
Do not buy an Epiphone bass. I'd probably go with the Ibanez out of that list. How much you got to spend? if you a search, this comes up every day so just have a look
K, Ill flick through the posts and see what I find ... Im looking to spend around $450 on a new or used guitar.
the MM2 isn't crap. I've had mine for 9 months without a single problem. I love it to bits.
if you want a good bass, play them all there, feel every bass'es neck and see how it fits your hand. epiphone necks are a lot wider than fender, and ibanex have a good curvature, looks do not matter when you play, it will be b etter of for you to play it comfortably than fight with it all the time.
^how good are sx basses. Never played one. If they have a good neck it probably wouldn't be a bad deal. Spend a few hundred on some good pickups and probably a better bridge and tuners and you'll have a good bass.

edit: did anyone say anything bad about the olp mm2
^how good are sx basses. Never played one. If they have a good neck it probably wouldn't be a bad deal. Spend a few hundred on some good pickups and probably a better bridge and tuners and you'll have a good bass.

SX bass..i have a five stringer of that one. You'll probably like to change the pickups if you
want but i never really bothered. The neck is quite slim near the neck but about the
constructions ,there are a few things you might wanna look through. I've got a few cracks
on my trapdoor thingy because they didn't screw nicely into the holes.
Other than that,its 6\10 good and super low budget.

Happy searching dude.