I have an Ibanez RG370dx, and wanted to try and get a better sound out of it somehow (being a student I only have a Laney 15W amp!) Its got infinity pickups on it, and was just wondering whether upgrading the pickups would be really worth it? I'm generally playing (badly) more Dream Theater stuff, but I like to try a variety of things like Lynyrd Skynyrd and classic rock like AC/DC, and so was looking at maybe one good rock/metal humbucker in the bridge, and maybe something more mellow in the neck? God knows what I'm doing with the single coil though! Any suggestions?

If it helps, the guitars blue
The Pickups will alter your sound but ultimatly if you want a better sound you need to change your amp, try and upgrade to a 30 watt amp, don't buy it if it's over 300 dollars.
Fair enough, I'll definitely look at other amps... Just wondering how much of a change new pickups would make, as I have no experience here at all. Would they increase sustain at all, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Any suggestions for new amps or no? Any information would be great!
Quote by Sick_Boy
The Pickups will alter your sound but ultimatly if you want a better sound you need to change your amp, try and upgrade to a 30 watt amp, don't buy it if it's over 300 dollars.

What? So people shouldn't buy AC30's because they are more than $300? Don't buy an amp based on wattage.

You could probably get away with a Fender blues Jr and an overdrive pedal. Basically, good pickups through bad amp = minimal difference while good pickups through good amp = big difference.
OK, I'm now swayed towards getting a new amp, because not only does it seem to make the most sense (thanks guys ) it's going to stay with me for a long time, plus it would be cool to have something more than my laney, much as I love it.

Anyone have any idea on recommending one of these amps, or even know to avoid them?

Marshall MG50DX
Fender Blues Jr
Fender Deluxe 900
Peavey Valveking 112/212

I will get to a music store to try some out too, it's just that the nearest decent one to me at the moment is about 50 miles away, and i don't have the time. Cheers for the help so far!
Valveking.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by Bill Turnip
OK, I'm now swayed towards getting a new amp, because not only does it seem to make the most sense (thanks guys ) it's going to stay with me for a long time, plus it would be cool to have something more than my laney, much as I love it.

Anyone have any idea on recommending one of these amps, or even know to avoid them?

Marshall MG50DX
Fender Blues Jr
Fender Deluxe 900
Peavey Valveking 112/212

I will get to a music store to try some out too, it's just that the nearest decent one to me at the moment is about 50 miles away, and i don't have the time. Cheers for the help so far!

Woah woah horsey, don't go cursing in here.

Meaning: DON'T GET A ****ING MG
Quest for "the tone": pending.
A fairly definite no to the MG! The only problem with all these (That I've read, not tried) is the distortion channel can be muddy. Would a pedal sort that, or would it simply make another type of muddy distortion?