i was wondering if it was o.k to put a 300 watt bass amp through a samllish P.A. of say equal wattage? my friend thinks that it completely upsets the whole balance for the other instruments but he thinks he know everything. a little help?
running it through the PA if its the same wattage is a bit..overkill. you won't achieve much from it. house PA's at gigs, though, having 2000W extra oomph is always good
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I'm doing PA for my school. Once my friend did a liittle experiment on those equipments,
without the teachers of course. What i say next might bore you a little but you'll get the
figure at least. We plugged in a bass into one of the inputs of the stereo equipment,which
is connected to the big cabinets. It worked and the amp didn't blow. But the bass would
definitely drown the rest of the euipments unless thtey're powerful enough. Hope this helps
If you have a PA, then you should run through it. It's so much easier to get a good mix when one person is running the board, and can adjust everyone. Nothing sounds worse than the guitars and vocals coming through the mains and the bass and drums coming through from the back of the room
Quote by callingknopfler
i was wondering if it was o.k to put a 300 watt bass amp through a samllish P.A. of say equal wattage? my friend thinks that it completely upsets the whole balance for the other instruments but he thinks he know everything. a little help?
There are PAs and PAs, some are just for vocals which is where the term PA (public address system) originated from and some are what is generaly termed as 'PA Rigs'.
A PA system is usualy a mixer amp (6 chanels upwards) and either a 1x12 + horn or a 1x15 + horn, other than the higher powerd 15s these are not really suitable for augmenting the backline.
A true PA rig is a totaly different beast normaly consisting of a 2/3 way speaker configuration (bass, mid, and HF) the signals from the desk are usualy separated through an active crossover, with a system like this you can safely DI the Bass and mic up everything else.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
running the bass directly through the PA will work, but if the PA cabs are too far foward of the rest of the amps, and kick drum, you may create a "out of phase" sound. as too say, the bass is heard before, the kick drum. if you don't have an amp'
and playing through the PA is you're only option, i suggest you mic' the kick drum, also. if the entire band is mic'd, running direct from your amps' line out, is the way to go. in a small room situation, the phasing has less importance, and should do fine.
the kick drum, and the bass, need to have equal, or very close, volume levels.

Edit: Very Important!!

you can connect directly from you're bass, to the PA if you're as close as 15-20 feet from the PA, further distance requires(recommended) a direct box. you can connect using the pre-amped, line out found on most bass amps'

but, DO NOT!! run a line from you're extra speaker out, to the PA !!!!
if you run 300watts, or any amped signal into the PA input, BOOM. blown PA amp.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Sep 16, 2006,