I know, I know, everyone wants to learn the technique to do squeals like him. My question is regarding the EQUIPMENT NEEDED. I am a newbie guitarist, and have not learned the finger technique to pull this off, and have better things to practice, like arpeggios and alternate picking. but for the future, after much more practice, i am wondering if I would be able to pull off these squeals on a 30w Roland Cube amp with a ESP/LTD M-100 guitar with no active pups. I am planning on buying a roland cube in the next 6 months...

1. do you need active pups to do squeal like that?
2. do you need a tube amp with overdrive to do it?
3. what kind of amp would i need to do it? Does the amount of wattage matter?
4. do i need certain pedals to do it?
5. Does a roland cube just MIMIC the sound of a large overdriven amp, or does it actually push the sound to a distorted state?

thanks.
Quote by rtripton

5. Does a roland cube just MIMIC the sound of a large overdriven amp, or does it actually push the sound to a distorted state?

1. No (Dimebag used Passive Pickups)
2. No (Dimebag used solid state amps)
3. Any Mid/High Gain amp should do them, the more distortion the better. Wattage doesn't matter
4. No
5. Someone else will be able to answer this better than me
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
1.You dont NEED active pickups, but it helps if they are pretty powerful.
2.You dont need a tube/vavle amp- I can pull it off on even a crappy little MG marshall.
3.You dont need a tube amp as I said^ but it may help to give it a nicer tone.
4.No, but to give more clarity and power to the squeal it helps to have alot of distortion/overdrive.
5.cant answer that one fully enough.

When it comes down to it, to get the best squeals you need the technique. I can pull pinch harmonics on an acoustic- doesnt last as long, but ive got it down so that its very clear even on a acoustic.
I only have a 30W VOX and a LP with bareknuckle pickups to play around with and I still manage the crazy Wylde/Dime pinch harmonic squeals.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Also, I find that the more you boost your treble, the easier they are to pull off. To get them really good, I usually active my CFH-wah and put it fully closed to get more treble which make them last longer and also make them easier to do.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
You don't need great gear to do Dimebag-like pinch harmonics, you just need to practise the technique a lot (and of course use lots of distortion). A floyd rose bridge is a plus though, since Dime used it a lot to make a squeal go from a low pitch to a much higher pitch. I believe there is a video of Dimebag on youtube or google video on witch he tell you how he does his pinch harmonics.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
i got a peavy amp, a behringer distortion pedal (only because it had better distortion than my amp) and i can pull em off ok, i jus need practise is all =) so its possible, and i dont have active pickups.
Beggles

Quote by the humanity

if he does not post pics, he obviously has installed a pickup and bridge on his house broom for some brutal sweep picking.

^ Yeah, you also need to practice your English, spelling and typing ... makes you sound like a mental defective otherwise.

Anyway, it helps if you have plenty of treble and gain. Humbuckers will sound better than single coils. It helps me if I dont have the mids ubder scooped aswell.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Last edited by StuC at Sep 15, 2006,

1. No
2: No, but better amps (and pickups) tend to have better harmonics
3: you should be grand with your cube
4: nope, you should be grand with your cube
5: it's solid state distortion, as opposed to valve/tube- so I suppose you could argue your point either way. it is distorting, but as it's a modeller, it's trying to mimic classic amps too.

basically, set your amp model on the cube to UK 80's, or the recto/r-fier model (whatever it's called), with the gain reasonably high..

if you can't get pinches with that, it's your technique at fault.

EDIT: crap, i just realised you don't have the cube yet. what amp do you have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?