Hello,

What do you use to record bass with versatile sounds . I mean what sort of effect do you plug in between your bass and the sound card to get full warm sounds for instance ?

Thank you
Not sure you mean mate, explain yourself a it more. I only use a compressor when i record. Bass is best clean - effects are for Hollywood movies
Quote by Applehead
Not sure you mean mate, explain yourself a it more. I only use a compressor when i record. Bass is best clean - effects are for Hollywood movies

In your opinion. A lot of my solo stuff depends on effects in order to get the ethereal sound I require. However, when I'm laying in a band situation, I usually do use just compression, but I do sometimes use delay and flanger.
i always thought the warmness came from the bass and the amp. i don't DI the bass into the computer, i run it from the headphone of the amp, or the DI if im feeling like hearing it properly and deafening people
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
In your opinion.

Obviously it's my opinion. You still should record without effects though - it's just best practice. The effects can be layed down afterwards but you can't remove them afterwards. Trust me, i've recorded bands and you dont know how many people say "can you just turn the reverb down a bit mate"... "Er no mate"
Quote by Applehead
Obviously it's my opinion. You still should record without effects though - it's just best practice. The effects can be layed down afterwards but you can't remove them afterwards. Trust me, i've recorded bands and you dont know how many people say "can you just turn the reverb down a bit mate"... "Er no mate"

ah well, thing is with me, I'm a perfectionist with my tone and effect levels, so I always go in with exactly what I need
You're missing my point. You may well be a perfectionist, but perfectionists change their minds just like us mere mortals.

Just some friendly recording advice!!
Quote by Applehead
You're missing my point. You may well be a perfectionist, but perfectionists change their minds just like us mere mortals.

Just some friendly recording advice!!

never changed my mind yet But hey, it works for me.. I ain't arguing with ya.
A preamp would be best if you can afford one. But a compressor would do you fine

I recomend the Tech21 SansAmp series
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Quote by Deliriumbassist
ah well, thing is with me, I'm a perfectionist with my tone and effect levels, so I always go in with exactly what I need
Perfectionist or pig headed? You've been given sound advice which is, record your sound, do what you want with it afterwards.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Perfectionist or pig headed? You've been given sound advice which is, record your sound, do what you want with it afterwards.

My thoughts exactly..personally VST effects such as reverb and distortion or whatever sound a MILLION times better than any pedal or rack you can buy, and the nice part is multiple layers and the ability to just hit undo.

Guitar Rig 2 for example.
I often use just a DI going into a mixing board, and THEN into the soundcard. Surprised nobody has mentioned the problem of just going from the bass to the soundcard.

We did our album, though, with a SansAmp for the bass (and then into the board), and it was fan-tas-tic. Highly recommended. Very.

As far as FX going in, I don't even compress for recording. I'll do that after the track is recorded. You never know what you'll want to change later. This is key:

.... just because it sounds amazing all by itself, it will probably need to be tweaked to make it fit into the whole mix just the way you want it.

I would put that all in caps if it wasn't so impolite. Hell, Mutt Lange and Tom Lord Alge and Bob Rock surely all change their minds about stuff during the course of mixing an album, and they are some of the best producers this planet has ever seen. Far be it for me to suggest that I can dial in a perfect sound - complete with fx - that will will sit perfectly in the mix at the end of the project.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I usually run straight into the computer using my head, an Ashdown Mag300H. I personally love a lot of the different included VST and DirectX effects on Cubase SX. One of my favorites is the "Q" filter. (Cubase heads will know what I'm talking about, but for those of you that don't, it's a combo filter and graphic EQ. You can get effects like the sound is coming through a phone, an AM radio, or a massive subwoofer.)

Peace,
Roy
Current Bassist and Vocalist for The Illegal Exploits

Gear
2004 Fender Jazz
1978 Peavey Centurion MkIII
1975 MusicMan GH115
2008 Acoustic B410

My band
Purevolume
Yeah, Q is a really great EQ. A small semantic correction here... an EQ is a type of filter. Q is an EQ.

Chris

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by John Swift

well I'm sorry that I may or may not follow his advice. It's just that everytime I've recorded stuff, I've always gone in with my effects and recorded with my effects. It hasn't failed me yet. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not being pigheaded, I see the value in his advice, but I'm just not gonna take it at the moment.
Quote by Applehead

very solid advice!
the original tracks should be clean as possible. you can add any effects later, during the mix-downs. you can add to the original tracks, but you can't take away, from the original tracks. way to go Applehead. listen to Sir John Swift! he knows bass!!
Record the bass after guitars. That way you can concentrate on making it fit the mix, and then do whatever with your effects and your tone.
I run my Bass through a 1968 50 watt tube Bassman.

Great tone. No effects needed...it's warm and beautiful.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by thealmightyRIS
Record the bass after guitars. That way you can concentrate on making it fit the mix, and then do whatever with your effects and your tone.

Wha? That is asking for trouble. Drums, then bass, then guitars.

Chris