Been thinking of getting one as a second guitar. Are the trems really that bad? And what pickups would you recommend I get for it to get a good A7X type tone? And how hard is it to change strings if I've never had an FR type trem before?
Quote by treflip
Been thinking of getting one as a second guitar. Are the trems really that bad? And what pickups would you recommend I get for it to get a good A7X type tone? And how hard is it to change strings if I've never had an FR type trem before?

I don't know if the trems are that bad on them, because I can't say from personal experience. Let's just say I have heard good and bad things about them. As for getting an A7X tone, well, I would say look at the models they use. Don't they use Seymour Duncan pickups? I think I read somewhere that Synyster Gates uses Seymour Duncan Invaders, and Vengeance uses Seymour Duncan JB pickups. As for changing strings, I would have a professional change them the first time, and while they are changing them watch and take notes. That's about the best advice I can give.
Trem really is bad. It's designed to be bad.

Changing strings on FR is like tying your shoelaces - hard and tricky the first few times, then it becomes second nature. Strings are a bitch to change is a poor argument against getting a guitar with an FR. Edge III is a substandard bridge however is a good argument against getting the 350.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Alternatives to the 350, within the same price range? Preferably a super strat.
I tried them, I wasn't too impressed with them, there was something about them. Might have just been me thinking too much about the fact it was ugly as ****.

Jackson DK2M? Schecters?
The S470 is pretty good, but the body is so thin, it's pretty fragile and there is less sustain, and the tone is less beefy..

Well, it's really good as it comes with the almight ZR TREM!!!!!!!!

Since the body is so thin, your uppull range might be pretty bad..
If set up right though, it's around 3 semitones for you.
Quote by into the moat
wahts so bad about the trem?

The bridge metal is softer than the metal in the whammy bar so it pushes in the metal on the bridge.
Quote by sicformyage

me:you like acdc
them:yea i do
me:cool, whats your favorite song,other than back in black
them:i gotta go...

Quote by jordanzio
i love hilary duff and will eventually marry her... she does not know this currently...

Quote by into the moat
wahts so bad about the trem?

^ There's that, and a basic level of that almost everything that "locks down" on it sucks and will not hold you in tune for shit.

Unless the guitar you are playing right now is a real sack of crap, I would not reccomend the 350DX or anything in its price range as second guitars. Push the $700 range is my advice. Don't have the money right now? Be patient dude! I've been saving for a new guitar for a while now and it's going to take at least three to five more months. It'll be worth it when you get a really nice guitar.
no
Nah, the actual thing about this trem is that its made out of softer material (spelter, a sorta zinc based metal) and the fact that the knife edges is also made from that. Even though the arm's tightener is adjustable, it could eat up the naked bear metal, unlike the Edge Pro/Lo Pro Edge/Edge, they have an arm bushing which is replacable.

Prior on good profesional setup, making sure the bridge is always as parallel as possible to the body, and not applying too much pressure on this trem, it could last quite a long time (only prior that you didnt get an open stock, you get it from factory->your hands). Of course, you'd have to test them out 1st at stores in order to get a good one but still i cant guarantee that it'll last long enough untill you're ready for a new guitar.

If you're so worried about the Edge III, you could add another $130-150 and get a Gotoh LFR, but that means you have to slide in $500+, you could get an S470 or if you save more you could get an S520EX/RG1570. Up to you, but the greatest deal is to hunt yourself a used RG5xx/RG7xx.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
looking for A7X tones easy just save money for Bogner amps. have fun buying them you will be saving for the rest of your life. S470 is a very good alternative the Jackson you said ts is alright the trem i believe will be a direct swap for an OFR so thats all good in case it does crap out although some people have noted that the trem can with stand abuse for a good time