Well, title says it all.

Thanks
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
cons = can't play it before you contract to get the work done, so exactly how it'll turn out is a crapshoot.

Pros = you can essentially get what you want with no compromises, except for the factor above
Hi, I'm Peter
Cons= Can be damn pricy, you can't play it before you get it built.

Pros= It's exactly what you want.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Pros: You get the exact tonewoods you want, finish, shape, neck profile, neck depth and hardware.

Cons: Costs way too much, may not necessarly meet your needs when finished, your tastes may change in 10 years time making it redundant. Most people dont even know exactly what they would want, so its pretty much a mit and a miss what you get.

It can be a long and involved process getting a custom guitar, usually requiring a large amount of email and telephone calls and then at least 2-3 visits to the workshop.

Theres probably a stock guitar somewhere that meets the majority of your requirements, and if its not an exact match it can probably be modified (even buying the stock axe and modifying will be a lot cheaper than the custom). You may not get a great re-sale price on a custom guitar if its made by an independant luthier, also to get a good sale price you would need to find a buyer who was looking for a guitar that pretty much exactly matched the custom you were looking to sell.

For the approx £2000-£3000 a custom will cost you could buy one high quality stock axe and a well nice amp and have some change left over for sweets.
i think a major con will be the fact that if you go to a luthier there will be other people wanting guitars from that person as well so the waiting time may be extraordinary and in the end you may decide that something you wanted before is not what you wanted before
I don't get what everyone is saying about costing way too much, I can get a custom guitar here in the UK for less than the price of a gibson les paul standard...

I guess if you want it to be made by the gibson custom shop or something, maybe the cost is prohibitive. but if it doesn't HAVE to say "gibson" (or jackson, or esp) on the headstock, it's pretty darn good value.

one final con is, you have to know pretty much exactly what you want for a custom. but if you do, and if like me always find something wrong with the guitars on the shelf (even £3000 PRS guitars), then it's the way to go.

I dunno about any of you, but if I were gonna throw down £3000 on a guitar, I don't want to have to fork out for new pickups and decide that the volume knob or pickup selector is in the wrong place...

especially when I can get a custom guitar for under half that...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I don't get what everyone is saying about costing way too much, I can get a custom guitar here in the UK for less than the price of a gibson les paul standard...

I guess if you want it to be made by the gibson custom shop or something, maybe the cost is prohibitive. but if it doesn't HAVE to say "gibson" (or jackson, or esp) on the headstock, it's pretty darn good value.

one final con is, you have to know pretty much exactly what you want for a custom. but if you do, and if like me always find something wrong with the guitars on the shelf (even £3000 PRS guitars), then it's the way to go.

I dunno about any of you, but if I were gonna throw down £3000 on a guitar, I don't want to have to fork out for new pickups and decide that the volume knob or pickup selector is in the wrong place...

especially when I can get a custom guitar for under half that...

yeah i agree, looks like im goin to go see mr ormsby when i get the cash together...
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?